Home Forums Starting your journey Advice from electricans

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Davejochow
    • Total posts: 38

Hi, Im hoping to start a lighting decorating and hire business and in particular the products I want to use are not available anywhere in Australia. I dont want to have to import any items and have to pay to get them approved by a governing body so they meet the as/nz standards. One item in particular I would like to hire out are outside chandeliers. As i cant legally do “electrical work” I would like to buy a low voltage led chandelier and pay a electrican to change the fixtures to plug ins. 2 questions: Are low voltage led chandeliers safe to use outside if it rains? Where would I find an electrican which
    I could pay to change the fixture to a plugin. Thanks for any advice!

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751

Hi Dave,

If I am correct LED lighting operates at low voltage already, why not run the entire system on 12V. Its much safer. Boats and cars operate on 12V

This also means a couple of 6v torch batteries could power the lights for a few months no cabling or power points required.

Just a thought, its what I would do.

Steve

Dre
    • Total posts: 25

Agree with Steve keep it low voltage led should be weather resident and can run off 12v battery. And can set it up any were out in the middle if the bush if need be

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Davejochow
    • Total posts: 38

Do you mean run the fixture off the battery? Its a good idea. How long would that last, 5 hours? The chandelier would need to be located about 5 meters from the power source as it will be hung with wires above a function area.

Divert To Mobile
    Divert To Mobile, post: 147988 wrote:
    Hi Dave,

This also means a couple of 6v torch batteries could power the lights for a few months no cabling or power points required.

Steve

If you run off 240 you will need to convert it down anyway. You should be able to calculate how long it will last by multiplying the number of globes by the wattage to get the total wattage. p=vi to calculate how much current needed then decide that by the battery capacity to know how many hours you’ll get.

I would guess a reasonable amount of lights would last at least a hundred hours off a few dolphin torch batteries.

Steve

Divert To Mobile
    Dre, post: 147996 wrote:
    Agree with Steve keep it low voltage led should be weather resident and can run off 12v battery. And can set it up any were out in the middle if the bush if need be

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Imagine a 6 foot chandelier in the middle of a camping site.

Steve

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.