Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Advice needed please on getting our product out there

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    kmclean
    • Total posts: 11
    Up
    ::

Good Afternoon everyone,

This is my first post! We have recently bought over a business that hand makes children’s sleep mats, which i think is the main product to focus on, but we also have a range of kids bags.

We really need some advice on how we should start getting these out to the market? We recently supplied a large private school in Melbourne with 150 sleep mats for their new prep year but other than that were struggling to find customers. We have taken the product out to several day care centres for market research and people love the product and brand so we know its got potential. We just need to know what we do next? I have emailed some stores i think maybe suitable but most of the time we get no response……..

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    kmclean, post: 247887, member: 87287 wrote:
    Good Afternoon everyone,

This is my first post! We have recently bought over a business that hand makes children’s sleep mats, which i think is the main product to focus on, but we also have a range of kids bags.

We really need some advice on how we should start getting these out to the market? We recently supplied a large private school in Melbourne with 150 sleep mats for their new prep year but other than that were struggling to find customers. We have taken the product out to several day care centres for market research and people love the product and brand so we know its got potential. We just need to know what we do next? I have emailed some stores i think maybe suitable but most of the time we get no response……..
    Hi And Welcome to the Forums. It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining Flying Solo and posting today.

I hope some of our members that have been in your shoes can help.

Cheers

jamskin70
    Up

Hi Kmclean
    Congrats on your new business it sounds exciting. It sounds like it’s a product you could easily demonstrate it being used and enjoyed. Plus it’s in a great market the Kids & Parents niche. (Correct me if I’m wrong) My thoughts would be to record an instructional video of it being used and enjoyed. Showing all the benefits of the product and how it benefits your target market. You could then put this on Facebook, You Tube and Instagram. – Hope this helps
    Regards
    Jason

kmclean
    Up
    jamskin70, post: 247909, member: 98296 wrote:
    Hi Kmclean
    Congrats on your new business it sounds exciting. It sounds like it’s a product you could easily demonstrate it being used and enjoyed. Plus it’s in a great market the Kids & Parents niche. (Correct me if I’m wrong) My thoughts would be to record an instructional video of it being used and enjoyed. Showing all the benefits of the product and how it benefits your target market. You could then put this on Facebook, You Tube and Instagram. – Hope this helps
    Regards
    Jason

Thanks Jason,

Definately one to add !!

Kelly

kmclean
    Up
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 247900, member: 78928 wrote:
    Hi And Welcome to the Forums. It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining Flying Solo and posting today.

I hope some of our members that have been in your shoes can help.

Cheers

Thanks Paul,

I look forward to hearing some advice from those with more experience than i have lol!

HannahConsults
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hello, do you have a budget for paid ATL digital advertising? Or are you looking to leverage low cost/free direct channels as much as possible?

If you sell the products B2C online, I would recommend using some well targeted digital spend to increase awareness.

In terms of recruiting stockists, how are you approaching them? In person or over the phone? Persistence is key but so is a good relationship with the stockist so they reorder! By reaching out to well matched stores/community facilities/early childhood centres (who would potentially stock them on your behalf/allow you to offer them for sale to parents), you should gradually broaden your net!

Another thing to consider is the attractiveness of the offer to the retailer in terms of margin – is there anyway you could offer an introductory package for trial or a lower stock requirement to get stores on board?

Hope this helps :)

jessesomer
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Hi kmclean,

There are a lot of variables you need to consider, and I’m sure you’ve been bombarded by different options. First of all, you say people love the brand, so my first question would be whether or not you need to work on the brand’s identity and its awareness in the community, or is it already well-known and distributed by other parties? Getting the brand story right from the start is very important, as you don’t want to have to change it down the track.

Next, you need to consider the various ways in which to get your brand ‘out there’, and how much you are willing/able to invest in marketing – be it traditional print or modern digital.

Emails really aren’t the best way to find wholesalers or distributors. People get hundreds of emails in their Inbox everyday. The human connection is paramount in business, so you need to build a network and communicate with people face-to-face. The question is, how will you attract people’s attention so they contact you? There are many ways to do so, and if there is a will, there is always a way. ;)

kmclean
    Up
    jessesomer, post: 248274, member: 90894 wrote:
    Hi kmclean,

There are a lot of variables you need to consider, and I’m sure you’ve been bombarded by different options. First of all, you say people love the brand, so my first question would be whether or not you need to work on the brand’s identity and its awareness in the community, or is it already well-known and distributed by other parties? Getting the brand story right from the start is very important, as you don’t want to have to change it down the track.

Next, you need to consider the various ways in which to get your brand ‘out there’, and how much you are willing/able to invest in marketing – be it traditional print or modern digital.

Emails really aren’t the best way to find wholesalers or distributors. People get hundreds of emails in their Inbox everyday. The human connection is paramount in business, so you need to build a network and communicate with people face-to-face. The question is, how will you attract people’s attention so they contact you? There are many ways to do so, and if there is a will, there is always a way. ;)
    Thank you for this. Email is definately not working so we will now physically visit retail businesses and see if that works! We are currently working on getting the brand out into the community. We will be doing several markets around the Brisbane area, we have joined some of the bigger parenting sites to advertise on, we will be attending a large Expo in Sydney in September and we have just been accepted to sell on Groupon

duncanjonesnz
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

eBay & Gumtree are a great place to start as you don’t need to pay for the traffic – especially if you then filter sales to your website instead of them repeat buying through platforms that cost you money.

Adwords/Bing/Facebook/Instagram ads will eat up most of your profit margin and it seems like its a one-time sale product. With any paid advertising therefore you’ll need to go for bulk sales or leads from people who might stock your products.

Cold email & phone outreach to customers similar to the one that placed the big order with you may be a good use of time as well.

businessguru
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Hi KMClean If I came into your business to discuss your product my first question before you spent anyone money on marketing would be to find out more about your product. Your threads above just don’t give me enough information to give you a comprehensive answer to go to market. How competitive are these blankets on price? Who are your competitors? What are your margins? What benefits does the blanket have over any other blanket? What are you offering your customers to get them to buy? Whats your sales process? Do you have a sales process in place? No point in marketing your business without a sales process and Customer service retention strategy. More information would be good thanks.

dennisli
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

Hi [USER=87287]@kmclean[/USER],

It depends on your own situation. And positioning yourself based on questions like David mentioned above.

To have an online presence is a good start point. Did you start a website and social media channels like facebook page?

Dennis

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.