Home – New Forums Tech talk Advice needed re the purchase of Photoshop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    gaydon
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hello,

I’m an artist with no experience using graphics software/photoshop. I have painted a number of simple logo designs. I’m intending to take a high res photo of each artwork and then clean it up using a product like Photoshop.

I have done some research on Photoshop and I’m overwhelmed with the different versions & applications. It would be much appreciated if anyone experienced in the industry could point me in the right direction re: the software that I would need? I have a Mac computer, approx 5 years old.

I’m also looking for a cost effective solution, given limited funds available for this project.

I intend to produce a large number of designs, therefore I would like to learn the end-to-end process rather than outsourcing.
    Thank you for your time

altima
    • Total posts: 131
    Up
    gaydon, post: 81835 wrote:
    I’m also looking for a cost effective solution, given limited funds available for this project.

You may try free open-source GIMP, it’s not as sophisticated as Adobe Photoshop but could be good enough for you.

Allied
    • Total posts: 96
    Up
    altima, post: 81837 wrote:
    You may try free open-source GIMP, it’s not as sophisticated as Adobe Photoshop but could be good enough for you.

Hi

I agree try GIMP first. My daughter is an artist and I suggested to her to try GIMP, she loves it and finds it easy, lots of her artist/ photographer friends use it too. It was suggested to me for her by the Photography teacher I worked with at the TAFE.

Maybe you should look at “Illustrator” as well if you are designing logos, you might find you can create in Illustrator rather than painting all of your logos or combine digital and manual art together the together. Its much easier to learn than Photoshop which is very complex with many functions you will probably never use. I taught myself how to use “Illustrator” over the last 3 months and I have found it very easy to learn and remember. You could manipulate your artwork in GIMP and then work on it in Illustrator. I am not a professional I just do this as a hobby but my other daughter is a graphic designer and also teaches these programs. She just gave me the course books and I picked it up after a couple of hours and only went through 2 out of the 6 books. I just look online now when I want to learn how to do something. I love working in Illustrator. I can use Photoshop in a limited way and I found it very hard to undertand and got frustrated with it. I’m usually pretty good at learning new software but Photoshop – I just don’t get a lot of it.

You can download the Adobe programs for a 30 day free trial. Maybe if you got GIMP and learnt how to manipulate images in that first, then download a free 30 day trial from Adobe of the programs you might like to purchase. That way you will be able to make use of the programs by actually using them not learning them in your 30 day trial. You might want to get some help just to get going with these types of programs as they are quite different from the office programs etc or maybe go to a beginners course.

Hope this helps. I’m sure some Graphic designers may be able to help also on this site.

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Photoshop is defiantly the Rolls Royce of a photo reworking application. It has been said that with Photoshop it’s not a matter of what you can do but where is the tool to do it.

It’s also a bit pricey, best purchased as part of an Adobe suite. If your your budget is limited I would suggest going for Photoshop Elements. I have not used a recent version, but it is always said to be very nearly like the full blown version – also much cheaper.

Next, you need to spend some time getting used to using it!

gaydon
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Thank you to everyone that’s replied. I will definately take on board your advice and start with GIMP.

Craig_Longmuir
    • Total posts: 556
    Up

or for the illustrator OS equivalent try inkscape

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

Here’s a post I wrote on 5 free options. Sumo paint is pretty full featured, no software, free, pretty easy to use.

http://awebsitedesigner.com.au/website-design/editing-images-for-the-web-for-free/

No programs are as powerful as photoshop but most are easier to use and cheaper so I’d start with one of those.

I use Fireworks, My designers use photoshop but I just find it so slow an counter-intuitive, you’d almost have to do a course to learn it properly even then everything you do in it takes forever. Just my 2c

Hope that helps

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I am a designer, illustrator and teacher of design in all subjects. I recommend you only use a vector program for logos. Vectors can be scaled to any size.

Vector programs include Adobe Illustrator and CorelDraw. For pixel editing, definitely Adobe Photoshop. Photoshop Elements is a good starting point for pixel based images. Most of these programs are now available in editions for both Mac and PC. The Cert IV for Design now requires that Adobe programs are used.

I also wrote on my blog a little story about the difference between vectors and pixels here.

A great learning resource is at http://www.lynda.com which has a monthly or yearly fee. You can try out a couple of lessons for free. They have lessons for most programs including web.

Advance Software Group, e-Store (CitySoftware) and others have excellent pricing on Adobe software. Once you have purchased upgrades are more affordable. There is also the option of monthly payments where you ‘lease’ the software.

HammockFG
    • Total posts: 136
    Up

I use GIMP a lot and love it, but as for doing logos, you may run into trouble as GIMP does not support vectors (I think)…you might need to look into something else when the time comes to create a Vector?

PhilS
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    gaydon, post: 81835 wrote:
    I’m intending to take a high res photo of each artwork and then clean it up using a product like Photoshop.

If they are not to big I would suggest scanning rather than photographing your artwork. You will get a much better image.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.