Home Forums Selling online Advice Needed To Finalise Building A Store

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    dj_nitro
    • Total posts: 16
    ThexArm, post: 212551, member: 62768 wrote:
    Just thought I put my commercial accounting hat and add some value to the post. Bert already mentioned about sunk costs – developing a website is a sunk cost because you can’t use the money spent on that for your future decision making – It is a strategic decision you take to go in that path. But, mind you it may become an asset if things work out.

Thank you for contributing ThexArm.

I absolutely whole heartedly agree that before anyone even starts to consider this online venture to take everything ThexArm has added into consideration.

Members have graciously contributed that perhaps other options such as eBay can be explored initially to see if this is the kind of venture you believe you’d like to consider full time as no matter where you set up shop there are over heads and fees and packaging and delivering and business strategies to evolve. Restocking of product, customer relations, it can be very involved and many things need to be considered, as I am finding out!

But read up, knowledge earns respect & soak in the knowledge these experienced people are happy to share with us nOObs

dj_nitro
    Greg_M, post: 212514, member: 38207 wrote:
    Of all the freebies I’ve used, WordPress is the simplest to install themes and screw around with.

I personally find Paypal a pain, both as a user (too much friction to get where you want) and too convoluted and restrictive as a business (let alone the fee’s).
    I’m personally currently looking at Stripe (new to Aus), not sure how the fee’s stack up (2.somthing % +.30 cents per transaction) but it’s API’s suit my code base on a project and allow me to accept major cards direct.

In the sprit of entrepreneurship (and you don’t mind being close to the edge), and you do pick to go with WordPress … drop me a line greg@subby.io and I can show you how to leverage a free site on top class Cloud hosting (Amazon Web Services), BUT don’t ask me to secure or maintain it.

My default email won’t click into gear when I try to link through the short cut you provided.
    I read possibly the DLL server is corrupted and by downloading some dodgey looking software that would no doubt be full of malware it can be fixed or that either of the 2 mail providers I have Outlook for my personal address and mail.com I created for this venture only run on the 64 bit version of Windows 7!

You’ll have to forgive me I’ll try again after I write this. But just in case you slip in while I’m still doing whatever I’m doing to fix that issue or I give it away for the night you’ll read this.

You can not believe the indecision I have put myself through over a while really since deciding to bypass eBay and Shopify firstly them experimenting with hash tags and reach while signing into different social media networks and linking them, I spent hours in eBay and Pinterest learning but procrastinating cause my product to me is never going to decline in value but turning them over while constantly restocking is what I need to be doing to generate cash flow and hopefully increasing my stock!

So that said, everything everybody contributed I looked into and really nailed the finer points that I had no idea about and that knowledge is extremely valuable to understand and i’m glad I went through it all.

Unfortunately for me, you probably gave me too many options so I veered away into search engine results believing I may just run into a pot of gold and everywhere I looked and no matter how great that appeared from a distant I studied them! And they always had a catch. I can’t believe these search engines throw up dodgey almost shonky results with 9.8 ratings and unlimited this and that and once I spent time reading through I realised something wasn’t right in a major way and if I had been gun ho I have no doubt I would have made an uneducated guess and been sorry for it in some way. So long story short I read back through this post and researched cloud again.

I’m on board if the offer still stands. Cloud is the future. Mass file hosting spread over multiple servers and the only bytes it generates is through music, video or picture hosting. Yeah I’m learning quickly!

Amazon, I saw an opportunity to host there free you may have to explain that to me again hopefully if I get the opportunity to learn for your experience.

Joomla threw me off track when you want to download the latest version they are trying to cement you into a hosting spot as well which will eventually lock you in sooo I went and had a look at the favour of the month as you say WordPress and was impressed with the simplicity it offers and after studying I downloaded.

I was thinking like Joomla it was a program that still operated offline but you may agree that is not the case and it needs to be uploaded to a host to be put together.

But I’m in and will try to email you again as you asked, if it is a privacy issue I can be reached through the messages here, try my new address Lost_Dragon_Relics@coolsite.net & have Skype set up if required. I’m interested to hear your thoughts on gateways. I’d still like to have pay pal as an option but know Amazon hate ebay and don’t use it!

It’s Friday night where I am East Coast of Australia and not sure if you’re away over weekends or time differences or anything but would be grateful to get some coaching considering your knowledge with code and that technical but pretty cool skills required. I love to learn a lot more about web design and be good at it sooo imperative I nail these maintenance requirements first time every time and I’m sure I read Amazon include security and a whole heap of scans for shenanigans but I can get more information as I progress.

I do ask though is there any differences to where your host is based?

Can Amazon stock my site without me shipping it here and sell inside the US? haha, I’m excited, ignore it I’ll find these things out as I go! ….and thanks, I’ve increased my knowledge by 200% just from these tips and I haven’t done anything!

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691

The address is correct, I think what has happened is ?? … I just typed it in, I did not do it as a link … the posting widget has done it automagically where there is no actual link happening.

Should work if address is typed straight into an email client, unless your client doesn’t like the “.io” for some reason, first time I’ve had an issue.

Just tried your provided address via the link (and it worked) so I’ve dropped you a line.

If it is still available in the new site there was an option to send email in the/mine/your profile page. The address is blind (you can’t see it) but it works and I have had emails from members via it.

vikluthra
    • Total posts: 2
    dj_nitro, post: 212545, member: 66137 wrote:
    After the great advice given I linked up with all relevant information that members had posted!

bb1 and e-commerce’s links were pretty well the best source of information anyone starting out could read for piece of mind and absolute reassurance. The slide show is worth a look for invaluable tips that one should consider but for me starting out big business is on there own!

Soooo after all that I’ve decided to DIY, to keep my costs at a minimum.

(costs and charges are massively over priced and disappointing when you dig down and release why, one day I hope to change this for the better so everyone can have a fair go online!)

I realise this is the hardest option and that challenge alone inspires me and that security can be an issue from cyber terrorists and hackers, reason many leave it to the over priced kings of drama, but am confident after what I have researched if I follow the proven formula, stick to the path, I should be right!

Writing code, I assume some people can invent code? I’ve never tried to learn and wouldn’t know or understand what the fundamentals are to do make code or script but I can liken it to a musical instrument that once you know where the basic chords are you can start to put them in your own arrangement and make a new song of your own?

I like the idea of learning this as I realise no one knows how to get traffic to their door better then the next person. Clearly search engines are compromised and other ways need to be found to break the stranglehold!

I might discover a system that works for me?!

I am familiar with HMTL though, whether it’s similar to code or is code who knows but I have read that anyone designing by themselves will need to consult with a professional web designer and need a good team around them?

Hopefully not! I’m going in alone!

Thank you our honest talking contributor Greg_M who pointed me in the direction of CMS suppliers Joomla. I think I might use this to build the site. Unless someone can unequivocally say there is a better product to use for free also? Possibly because of the plug ins or ability they have that this doesn’t? It seemed to have everything I wanted and I looked at 10 that were rip offs and then this which is free and basic and all I need to start with.

Australian commercial domains (.com.au) $24 min 2years

Small-to-medium e-commerce websites $200 to $300 year (300 = $25 month)

I still need to find the perfect host! I am happy to pay $25 a month if required but cheaper if it suits my needs is a bonus too!
    … but these are the over heads I face currently.

I have taken 3 pages of notes just on what I need to build my store.
    From T&C’s – store policies to customer relations feedback.
    From providing a search engine for customers to the use of metadata for sitemapping.
    Tips on how to make the site phone friendly to checking to ensure all links work, pages load, check shopping cart after changes and before the grand opening!

I now know what a favicon is and what purpose an SSL Certificate serves. Who would have thunk it … I took note of the common mistakes as listed when i read them and ready to go!

Along the way I visited other stores and no offense to whoever stores they were I’m going to use theirs sites as a welcome matt to clean my shoes to enter mine once it is completed and has my dj_nitro finish to it! haha, I can only hope :D

My theme will be one that people remember guaranteed!

Thank you everybody, if anyone knows of n Australian based host that is awesome please share them with me as the most tiring part is constantly being disappointed by those taking advantage by leaving out options that clearly should be there when others can offer it!

‘ll be back to let you know how I went or perhaps looking for advice on something from my follow web designers!

If you really looking for a real solution to host your own website.

Resources:
    Use Opensource shopping cart – OpenCart is best and easy to understand and use.
    You definitely need website hosting and domain name registration – try hostgator for that.
    Once you brought hosting and you can go ahead and install your shopping cart, just follow instructions. http://www.opencart.com
    You can also later buy template which suits your need from templatemela or other sellers, just google it.
    You can use paypal as payment gateway which doesn’t cost anything, just it deducts some percentage from every sale. And, it already inbulit extension in opencart. You just need to have paypal seller account.

Challenges:
    Technology: If you are happy to learn bit of technology you can host your own website under $150/year.
    Time: It might be time consuming to list your products, edit them, editing images.
    Marketing: Bringing target customers can bit hard sometimes. So you need to think about marketing strategy as well.

Hope this help

dj_nitro
    Greg_M, post: 212610, member: 38207 wrote:
    The address is correct, I think what has happened is ?? … I just typed it in, I did not do it as a link … the posting widget has done it automagically where there is no actual link happening.

Fret not of what ye ponders scribe of learned knowledge … it be ye ol Windows 7 32bit operating system not able to run the email clients and so when one does try to select email through the default setting no option for email appears thus can not be set consequences then being to click of an email link the operating system can not process it.
    It seems crazy that there isn’t an systems update that fixes this but I’ll look into that when I get a chance and just go manually for the time being

It’s been ANZAC Day here, and if you are based here you’ll know what I’m talking about sooo spent the day away from the desk pc where I do all this from and haven’t linked the new email address to my phone as yet.

I will head to that and here and Facebook and Twitter quickly.

dj_nitro
    vikluthra, post: 212619, member: 66354 wrote:
    Resources:
    Use Opensource shopping cart – OpenCart is best and easy to understand and use.
    You definitely need website hosting and domain name registration – try hostgator for that.
    Once you brought hosting and you can go ahead and install your shopping cart, just follow instructions. http://www.opencart.com
    You can also later buy template which suits your need from templatemela or other sellers, just google it.
    You can use paypal as payment gateway which doesn’t cost anything, just it deducts some percentage from every sale. And, it already inbulit extension in opencart. You just need to have paypal seller account.

Thank you vikluthra for that extremely detailed contribution.

It definitely seems like a surefire way to get an online store up and running affordably. I would suggest to anyone that is reading through this thread for inspiration to definitely consider the options contributed by member 66354 or research these required fields to see if they indeed better suit your needs.

vikluthra, post: 212619, member: 66354 wrote:
    Challenges:
    Time: It might be time consuming to list your products, edit them, editing images.

Hope this help

I see this listed a lot actually and reading through different sites for hosting and what they were offering most do mention imagages in regards to size restrictions.

As a nOOb I’ll offer my expert tips to anyone reading for their own information from 15 years of computer use and meme’s and selfies and sending photos through email at work and just general pc related stuff.

Locate any image you want to upload in it’s stored file.

Right click your image and an info box appears

select properties at the bottom
    – This will give you all the relevant information you ever need for this image!

What you are looking for is the size and make sure to note what type of file it is saved as – some files save in higher definition for better quality which increases its mass eg BITMAP /BMP.

How can I manually reduce the mass you ask?

Easiest way in my opinion when running in Windows is to open the file (right click – select open) using MS Paint.
    Once it loads with the paint program you them have an opportunity to reduce the images dimensions. Now happy with the resize you want to save it so selecting file (top left toolbar) scroll down to save as – choose a file location that you will be able to find for future use and most importantly unsure you select jpeg or jpg as the file you want to save it as!

The original image is still as it originally was and still located where it was

I choose to save in a JPG or Jpeg file. This will do the trick nicely!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.