Home – New Forums Selling online Advice on how to manage an email and research survey

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Syd_Mick
    Participant
    • Total posts: 30
    Up
    ::

Hi All

I am a solo online start-up owner. I have been devoting a lot of time (and budget) to testing the user experience of my site via paid advertising (google SEM) which is proving costly. I have learnt some things along the way (i.e. possible reasons for high bounce rates, most popular content on my site etc.) however I want to try and fast-track this learning process and try and build some loyalty in the process.

Someone recently suggested to me that instead of spending hundreds of dollars updating pages on the site and advertising; why don’t i simply offer a portion of people who have liked my FB page (366) a free trial. The only thing I would ask in return is to fill in a survey that provides a more in-depth, qualitative summary of what people do/dont like or understand. Rather than $100 a week in advertising, I could offer 20 people a free trial over the course of a month.

What I wanted to know was how best to manage this process. I can provide offer codes through the WP back-end, but is there a platform I could use to manage ‘redemption process’ (discount code to survey completion) more efficiently, or is survey monkey the way to go?

Thanks
    Michael

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    Syd_Mick, post: 163647 wrote:
    Hi All

I am a solo online start-up owner. I have been devoting a lot of time (and budget) to testing the user experience of my site via paid advertising (google SEM) which is proving costly. I have learnt some things along the way (i.e. possible reasons for high bounce rates, most popular content on my site etc.) however I want to try and fast-track this learning process and try and build some loyalty in the process.

Someone recently suggested to me that instead of spending hundreds of dollars updating pages on the site and advertising; why don’t i simply offer a portion of people who have liked my FB page (366) a free trial. The only thing I would ask in return is to fill in a survey that provides a more in-depth, qualitative summary of what people do/dont like or understand. Rather than $100 a week in advertising, I could offer 20 people a free trial over the course of a month.

What I wanted to know was how best to manage this process. I can provide offer codes through the WP back-end, but is there a platform I could use to manage ‘redemption process’ (discount code to survey completion) more efficiently, or is survey monkey the way to go?

Thanks
    Michael

Firstly what do you sell and what is your website? If you include your website in your Flyingsolo signature you can get some free advertising. So why hide your light under a bushel. If often surprises me that people start an online business and then don’t include the domain name on everything they do to communicate.

Back to the question. You should not be using paid advertisement to test your website. It is basically throwing away your money. Paid advertisement, like Adwords, should focus on well constructed landing pages that are built for conversion of certain keywords and terms. You can A/B test with Adwords and Google Analytics but the focus should be on driving conversions.

Get a few of your friends and family to go test your site you might find that they are the most demanding and will provide good feedback. Setup a focus group of people that you know are reliable and buy a few wines and beers (or whatever).

I don’t know what you are selling so I have no idea if a free trial is attractive. But avoid giving stuff away if you can, people rarely value FREE anything and the feedback will be worth what they paid. Nothing…

John

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

I agree with John, I would not use Adwords to test your site, rather use it to find customers.

There a several user testing services that can help you in that regard.

Good luck :)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.