Home – New Forums Money matters Advice on Insurance Cover

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Stu C
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone

New to this forum and have been running a part time business since 2012.

My question relates to insurance – currently I have PLI and equipment insurance for my video production business. I’m an owner operator with no staff… just myself.

If I am working for a client and cause them injury in some way, are they covered by their own worker’s comp insurance or am I liable if I cause them injury? (eg. They trip on one of my cables and break their ankle). I’m assuming I only require Worker’s Comp insurance for someone I am employing or subcontracting.

Any advice/info appreciated

Thanks,
    Stu

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Hi Stu,

Welcome to the forum. I hope someone with the right knowledge is able to help you out with an answer to your question.

All the best,

Sam

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up

Hi Stu,

Generally speaking, if you are a contractor and injure someone’s employee, the workers compensation insurer will pay the employees claim but they will then look to recover the money from you (under your liability policy). The employee may also look to recover anything lost but not payable by the workers comp insurer directly from you as well.

If you were an employee and injured another employee (of the same employer), then workers comp wouldn’t be able to recover from you personally (or your employer) so it would just be worn on the employers loss record.

It does vary from state to state but the above is a general idea on how it works.

Regards,

Mark

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.