Home – New Forums Starting your journey Advice on potential startup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    brettd
    • Total posts: 11
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I’ve been doing some market research on my potential busines idea, and I’m just trying to decide on my next steps. ie. should I launch or not.

My idea is in the mining recruitment space, something I have some knowledge of through being a mining engineer for the last 15 or so years.

I believe that with the skills shortage in the mining industry, there is need for a better way of connecting the jobs to the mining professionals, rather than the traditional job ads (ie. Seek, Careerone etc.).

I was thinking of building an online database of mining professionals, which mining companies, recruitment agencies etc can then access to find a good fit for their vacancies.

It would be targeted specifically to mining professionas, and marketed as being built by mining professionals for mining professionals.

It could also be used to help fix another problem, that recruiters candidate databases are often out of date, and difficult to keep current.

There are other similar websites out there with similar functionality, ie. Seek, CareerOne and a new one called Fifobids, but I don’t believe they’re very well put together and targeted (at least the searchable database part).

I’ve been working on getting feedback on the idea from recruitment agencies and mining professionals, via direct email and using landing pages such as these:

For mining professionals.
    http://unbouncepages.com/mining-target-pro/

Recruiters
    http://unbouncepages.com/mining-target/

Whilst I’ve had some good feedback from recruiters on the idea, with many giving good, positive feedback, I’ve had trouble getting much out of mining professionals. And so haven’t been able to establish much of a database as yet.

I was thinking if it was possible to partner with recruiters in some way to help build the database, since without a decent sized database the product is worthless.

What do you think?
    Is it something worth pursuing?

Thanks for any feedback.
    It is much appreciated.

Brett

spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up
    brettd, post: 118388 wrote:
    Hi all,

I’ve been doing some market research on my potential busines idea, and I’m just trying to decide on my next steps. ie. should I launch or not.

My idea is in the mining recruitment space, something I have some knowledge of through being a mining engineer for the last 15 or so years.

I believe that with the skills shortage in the mining industry, there is need for a better way of connecting the jobs to the mining professionals, rather than the traditional job ads (ie. Seek, Careerone etc.).

I was thinking of building an online database of mining professionals, which mining companies, recruitment agencies etc can then access to find a good fit for their vacancies.

It would be targeted specifically to mining professionas, and marketed as being built by mining professionals for mining professionals.

It could also be used to help fix another problem, that recruiters candidate databases are often out of date, and difficult to keep current.

There are other similar websites out there with similar functionality, ie. Seek, CareerOne and a new one called Fifobids, but I don’t believe they’re very well put together and targeted (at least the searchable database part).

I’ve been working on getting feedback on the idea from recruitment agencies and mining professionals, via direct email and using landing pages such as these:

For mining professionals.
    http://unbouncepages.com/mining-target-pro/

Recruiters
    http://unbouncepages.com/mining-target/

Whilst I’ve had some good feedback from recruiters on the idea, with many giving good, positive feedback, I’ve had trouble getting much out of mining professionals. And so haven’t been able to establish much of a database as yet.

I was thinking if it was possible to partner with recruiters in some way to help build the database, since without a decent sized database the product is worthless.

What do you think?
    Is it something worth pursuing?

Thanks for any feedback.
    It is much appreciated.

Brett

Would you be targetting trades, operators etc also?? I think this is where the biggest gap is.. I can see a market. I know the likes of BHPB etc use places like Hayes.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Were you aware that BHP and Rio Tinto both have their own job boards? I’m not sure about any other mining companies, but they both have hundreds (if not thousands) of jobs on at any one time, for entry, trades and professionals.

Wendy :)

spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up
    Couple It, post: 118399 wrote:
    Were you aware that BHP and Rio Tinto both have their own job boards? I’m not sure about any other mining companies, but they both have hundreds (if not thousands) of jobs on at any one time, for entry, trades and professionals.

Think BHPB use Hayes to do up ads, short list etc, and also place ads in Seek and major papers.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    spinninghill, post: 118400 wrote:
    Think BHPB use Hayes to do up ads, short list etc, and also place ads in Seek and major papers.

Probably, but they also have a massive jobs board on their website too.

You can create a profile, apply directly for positions, and upload your resume. And you can subscribe to getting emails when jobs within your skill set are posted.

I just wondered if the OP knew about this, as it seems his idea could simply be replicating something that’s already being provided by the mining companies themselves.

brettd
    Up
    spinninghill, post: 118397 wrote:
    Would you be targetting trades, operators etc also?? I think this is where the biggest gap is.. I can see a market. I know the likes of BHPB etc use places like Hayes.

Yeah, I would be looking at the different segments in the market. I just need how to work how to target them.

From what I’ve seen the biggest demand & forecast growth in mining is in

• mining professionals
    • trades or technicians
    • machinery operators

I know that BHPB, Rio Tinto, or any of the other mining companies, use recruiters like Hays, but they still need to find their candidates somewhere.

brettd
    Up
    Couple It, post: 118402 wrote:
    Probably, but they also have a massive jobs board on their website too.

You can create a profile, apply directly for positions, and upload your resume. And you can subscribe to getting emails when jobs within your skill set are posted.

I just wondered if the OP knew about this, as it seems his idea could simply be replicating something that’s already being provided by the mining companies themselves.

Thanks Wendy.

Yep, I’m aware that BHPB, RioTinto, along with other mining companies & recruiters (such as Hays) have job boards and the like.

But the problem is connecting those jobs to suitable candidates. More importantly candidates that have all the necessary skills and are willing to move to where the work is.

A lot of the trouble with recruitment in the mining industry, is that there aren’t enough candidates and the ones that there are are in high demand.
    So the mining companies need to target both active job seekers and those that aren’t but are open to opportunities. Unless they’re actively seeking I don’t think job seekers would go trawling through the sites of the likes of BHPB and RioTinto.

The point of my idea is to create a tool to enable mining companies etc. to target all professionals, no matter how active they are seeking jobs, with jobs that meet their specific needs.

Whilst BHPB & RioTinto are the big miners, there are many more companies out there looking for mining people. I’m directly contacted by mining companies or recruiters most weeks, and it has only been BHPB or Rio a few times. Quite often the jobs aren’t the sort of job I would be interested in nor in the right location. I’m looking at solving this.

Thanks,
    Brett

AngelaGirl
    • Total posts: 330
    Up

Hi Brett

Really interesting concept.. have you thought about connecting with mining professionals through LinkedIn? I know many recruitment companies and mining HR personnel are using LinkedIn for head hunting, so theoretically you could use it as a tool to recruit people into your database. I’m not sure if it contravenes any LinkedIn rules though.

Cheers
    Angela

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Think looking into an iPhone/iPad app would be wise :)

You need to think about how you will protect your database from being taken/used elsewhere.

Good luck!

brettd
    Up
    AngelaGirl, post: 118431 wrote:
    Hi Brett

Really interesting concept.. have you thought about connecting with mining professionals through LinkedIn? I know many recruitment companies and mining HR personnel are using LinkedIn for head hunting, so theoretically you could use it as a tool to recruit people into your database. I’m not sure if it contravenes any LinkedIn rules though.

Cheers
    Angela

Thanks Angela.

Yep, I’m already connected to a number of mining professionals LinkedIn, I suppose I could work on expanding this network. I could also create a group (existing or one I create) to market the concept and check out whether people are keen or not.

I’m constantly contacted via LinkedIn about job opportunities, but the thing is that they aren’t generally targeted that well, which was part of the reason that I thought of it in the first place.

Cheers,
    Brett

brettd
    Up
    TheGoldenGoose, post: 118466 wrote:
    Think looking into an iPhone/iPad app would be wise :)

You need to think about how you will protect your database from being taken/used elsewhere.

Good luck!

Good idea on the app!
    Would need to get the basic service working first but would definitely make it more accessible.

Thanks,
    Brett

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.