Home – New Forums Starting your journey Advice on Selecting Business Names

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tamara87
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi I am looking to start up a small freelance graphic design business as well as a personal blog on health, fitness & my part time modelling. Both businesses I want to represent using my first & middle name (i.e. Tamara Ashlee Design)

My concern is that when people search for my design business on google & FB etc, they will also be able to see my other blog including my modelling photos etc & I am afraid this may turn away potential clients.

I am wondering if this is something I should be concerned about? Any thoughts would be most appreciated :)

QiQ
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

If your using you to sell your business folk can easily find out about you online so just make sure the ‘you’ you sell is a good one.

Using the owners name in a business name can be limiting the business to being about one person. What if you want to grow, what if you want to sell the business on?

Cheers,

Peter

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi Tamara

I would suggest something different for the design business if you are concerned. You could make it TA Design or something you feel comfortable with but not as personal as using your name.

Perhaps though the people that may be turned away are not the people you want to do business with anyway!

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

I agree with Kelly. Something like TA Design or TA Creations would be the best option, just as I did with my business, TK Proofreading.

garysvpa
    • Total posts: 61
    Up

a name that is related to your business would be best, you will appear easier in searches

Tamara87
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Thankyou all for your responses. My major dilemma was that whilst I wanted to personalize my business name as much as possible I didn’t want it to interfere with my personal life. After much thought & advice received, I have decided to go ahead using my own personal name, as even if I use an abbreviated version, I still run the risk of people being able to search my personal account on social media. I prefer the ‘flow’ of my own name & feel it will best represent my work / me as a business. My personal life is always kept professional also, so do not believe this will significantly interfere with my design profile. In future, & depending on my successes I can always look into changing business names or working for someone else.

Thankyou kindly for your respones :)

markgrogan
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Phew! I’m glad that I didn’t have to worry about choosing my business name when I started my self storage business – I just don’t think I’m quite creative. But more on point, I agree that business and personal life should be kept apart and it’s great that you thought of this possibility – because I think that it’s an inevitable circumstance that will happen if you include your personal name in your company’s. As for me, I do have personal as well as business accounts on social media and have to remember to maintain privacy settings for my personal one a little bit more.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.