Home – New Forums Tech talk Advice on SEO Plan – Offering free Website T&C’s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alex (LegalVision)
    • Total posts: 52
    Up
    ::

Hey SEO People

I run a website that provides customised legal docs. We’re looking for cost-effective ways of pushing our SEO efforts. One thought we came up with is offering free customised Website T&C’s for customers on the understanding that they will keep a link to our website in the document.

Do you think this would work?

Lachlan

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Lachlan,
    The short answer: No.

Google is so far ahead of detecting and devaluing simplistic accreditation link building schemes like this. Try the search phrase, “Sydney web design”. The site ranking #2 has 6.2k links to it and the one ranked 24 has 642k links to it. Link chasing with these strategies is DEAD, IMHO.

You are putting the cart before the horse. Links support SE referrals, they don’t drive them.

The quick look I had of your site suggests you have more SEO problems to address than can be solved with link building.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up

I’d say still offer the free tc service with backlinks but don’t do it to get pagerank. Do it to get reputation and traffic.

Vossy
    • Total posts: 71
    Up

Hey Lachlan

It’s an interesting idea…that many people have had.

I suspect it will work and gain you some SEO value in the short term. And I agree with Tiggerito it can be of benefit purely for traffic and awareness.

Here’s the issue though.

Links to your site should be given as links of love..great content, valued by others not manufactured. Google has on several occasions noted that links made to game the system are going to be treated as link spam…especially with reference to:

• footer links used by website and SEO people
    • some forms of Guest Posting
    • infographics

So move this along 3-4 years and you have all these T&C’s out there with links in them, they all have the same anchor text, all point to the same place…what do you have? Potentially something that looks like link spam. Google might ignore them as John W suggests or they may trigger a more agressive response relation to manufacturing links.

So take care with it.
    BTW this article in Search Engine watch has some info you could use to diversify the link anchor text and approach.

http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2239260/Using-Footer-Links-to-Diversify-Your-Backlink-Profile

Cheers

Vossy
    • Total posts: 71
    Up

Oh and I had another couple of ideas

Run a competition on social media giving people the opportunity to find and point out the worst T&Cs for websites.

1. Let people vote.
    2. Give a prize,
    3. Do a top ten list (of the worst or dos and don’ts) and post it on your site, PR, social media, youtube etc

Do a survey of websites in Aus that don’t any / have inadequate T&C. You can then do it over for :

• Ecommere sites
    • Lead gen sites
    • Plumber / Builder (insert name of your target market category) sites
    • The list goes on to repeat the story

Again – distribute the findings, PR etc

You may have thought of these already. Hope that helps stimulate other ideas.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.