Home – New Forums Starting your journey Advice on starting an onlin fashion store.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jade24
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I am looking to start an online womens fashion store and have a few designs on paper that i will be looking to get made. Im new to this so was hoping to find out where i go from here, what are the next steps. Do i send my drawings / designs of to a manufacturer or do i need a prototype / sample made first? If so, who do i need to go to to have this made?

Thanks.

AlanaC
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

Hi Laura,

Late last year I was in your exact position but with swimwear. I was searching for manufacturers for my product. I looked through Alibaba as well as ALOT of forums. I started off with a manufacturer in China but I found that they didnt listen to any of my design required and just made the cheapest product possible. I finally found a private lady in Brazil who is amazing. I’m sure it’s different for some manufacturers but I just send her my designs, measurements etc and she makes up the pattern and makes the bikinis. Some manufacturers may ask you for a template of your clothing item ( you can get this done by working with a patternmaker if you’re not confident yourself). Theres no harm in emailing lots and lots of suppliers and seeing what they can do.

I think the best way to get your own personal line out there is to go through a private manufacturer rather than big factories in China. I assume you want different clothes to every other online clothing store out there like peppermayo or showpony etc as they all have the same things. If so i’d find someone who you takes the time to get things right and someone who knows english well!!

Hope this helped!

-Alana

Jade24
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    AlanaC, post: 189457 wrote:
    Hi Laura,

Late last year I was in your exact position but with swimwear. I was searching for manufacturers for my product. I looked through Alibaba as well as ALOT of forums. I started off with a manufacturer in China but I found that they didnt listen to any of my design required and just made the cheapest product possible. I finally found a private lady in Brazil who is amazing. I’m sure it’s different for some manufacturers but I just send her my designs, measurements etc and she makes up the pattern and makes the bikinis. Some manufacturers may ask you for a template of your clothing item ( you can get this done by working with a patternmaker if you’re not confident yourself). Theres no harm in emailing lots and lots of suppliers and seeing what they can do.

I think the best way to get your own personal line out there is to go through a private manufacturer rather than big factories in China. I assume you want different clothes to every other online clothing store out there like peppermayo or showpony etc as they all have the same things. If so i’d find someone who you takes the time to get things right and someone who knows english well!!

Hope this helped!

-Alana

Hi Alana,

Thanks for your reply! I will look into a private manufacturer. Did you come across yours on the internet or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks again!
    Jade

AlanaC
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

No worries Jade. I came across her through a swimwear forum. If you look through clothing/fashion industry forums and make heaps of posts explaining what you want there is surely going to be someone who knows someone else that will help you out :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Jade,

Welcome to Flying Solo :)

How exciting to see your designs start to come to life and your business plans taking shape!

All the best for your new venture,
    Jayne

Christina2590
    • Total posts: 89
    Up
    AlanaC, post: 189457 wrote:
    Hi Laura,

Hope this helped!

-Alana

Hi Alana,

Would you mind letting me know the name of the company you use in Brazil?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.