Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Advise on a new business name

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    KYLshop
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi,

We are about to open a a fast-casual dessert bar offering ice-cream sandwiches and donuts in NYC.

We’re in the process of finding a name for our business and would love to hear your thoughts.

we would very much appreciate if you would agree to take part in a brief survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DRNPRTQ

These are the options we came up with till now:
    Cream Between
    Dezzerts
    Goloso
    Golosos
    Oso Goloso
    Nene Goloso
    Utterly
    Purely Desserts
    The Nosher
    Gordos

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance,
    Karen

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

HI Karen,

Welcome to the forum. I’d love to test out your products!

How about Just Desserts.

Cheers,

Sam

KYLshop
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    sam_leader, post: 241552, member: 3 wrote:
    HI Karen,

Welcome to the forum. I’d love to test out your products!

How about Just Desserts.

Cheers,

Sam

Hi Sam,

We will be glad to see you as our guest! :)

Thanks for your suggestion, but unfortunately, Just Desserts is already taken…

Do you have an idea where we can publish our survey and get responses?

We really like the “Goloso” (sweet-tooth in Spanish and in Italian), “Oso Goloso” (sweet-tooth bear in Spanish) or Nene Goloso (sweet-tooth child), but we have concerns regarding this name.

One of the problems is that “Goloso” is also and English slang for: “a dude that is not satisfied with just one woman and is constantly chasing booty”.

1. Do you know if this meaning is widely known/used?
    2. Does it sound to you as a Spanish name?
    3. If so, do you find a Spanish name to have a negative or perhaps irrelevant connotation (for example, a restaurant that probably serve Mexican food, a restaurant mainly for Hispanic, a place that serves low quality food, etc.)?

Thanks! :)

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up
    KYLshop, post: 241614, member: 88116 wrote:
    Just Desserts is already taken…

Do you have an idea where we can publish our survey and get responses?

We really like the “Goloso” (sweet-tooth in Spanish and in Italian), “Oso Goloso” (sweet-tooth bear in Spanish) or Nene Goloso (sweet-tooth child), but we have concerns regarding this name.

One of the problems is that “Goloso” is also and English slang for: “a dude that is not satisfied with just one woman and is constantly chasing booty”.

1. Do you know if this meaning is widely known/used?
    2. Does it sound to you as a Spanish name?
    3. If so, do you find a Spanish name to have a negative or perhaps irrelevant connotation (for example, a restaurant that probably serve Mexican food, a restaurant mainly for Hispanic, a place that serves low quality food, etc.)?

Thanks! :)

Hi!

A few tips from a little old business namer :)

Don’t go for anything that paints you into a corner – eg Just Desserts would mean if in the future you wanted to expand, you would be a little trapped by the perception that your business name gives.

Where can you publish the survey? Where your target audience are! Make sure you have a really really clear idea of exactly who you want to target and survey them.

I hadn’t heard of that slang before – where did you find out about it? Again, check in with target audience.

How do you want your dream customers to think about your business?

Start from there :)

Kokoronkwo
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

I agree, it’s true that if you name the store something too ‘descriptive’ it can limit you later. Maybe you want to extend into milkshakes or smoothies rather than just dessert items.

Here’s one you might like “Sweet Melts”

I did like Goloso, shame about the slang, not something I had heard before either.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Most people here have most likely not heard of that slang, as America and Australia are so different. Which leads me to my main comment, I am not sure asking an Australian audience for a name over in America will be a true indication of what is good or bad .

Plus the name needs to be you, not what everyone else thinks, you need to love and own the name. Plus my old theory, you ask 20 people and you will get 29.5 different opinions.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.