Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Alcohol and company organised social events

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SteveFoulds
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    ::

I run a successful body transformation business and was looking into running some social events to celebrate milestones. The gym owner I operate my business from said not to have anything to do with alcohol, as if anyone gets intoxicated and hurt ie. stumbles into traffic etc. I’m liable.

Obviously paving my way to become a leader in the fitness industry, I don’t advocate intoxication but I’ve no issues with my clients celebrating 12 weeks of sacrifice with a new body and a glass of red – has anyone got any experience with this issue? Am I only liable if I provide or pay for the alcohol? Has the world gone stupid and we’re living in constant fear of litigation?

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

If you have a social event outside of your home you are supposed to get a liquor licence from your local police station. And have appropriate public liability insurance etc.

This is necessary for hiring of halls, venues for exhibitions, celebrations etc. but not on your own premises. However, you would need to check your public liability is up-to-date.

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

Optional

SteveFoulds, post: 125514 wrote:
    Has the world gone stupid and we’re living in constant fear of litigation?

YES! And most of the fear is nonsense that people pickup from US television and advertising by insurance companies and litigation lawyers. Anyone can try to sue for anything – doesn’t mean they’ll win… at least not in Australia!

Tell your group that you’ll be somewhere at a particular place and time enjoying a glass of red, and that you’d love it for them to join you with their own drink and snack of their choice. A group of adults meeting together socially has never needed liquor licenses and insurance… let’s not let the fear mongers take over our lives! If an adult can’t handle their booze and walks in front of a bus it’s their own fault and nobody elses (unless you’re pouring alcohol down their throat and daring them to run across the road, which it doesn’t sound like you will be).

Cheers,
    John

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.