Home Forums Tech talk Alexa Top Million eCommerce Sites growth

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842

Interesting to see that Woocommerce has overtaken Magento CE in the top 1 million ecommerce sites worldwide as per Alexa.

[ATTACH=full]975[/ATTACH]

source : http://blog.aheadworks.com/2015/10/ecommerce-platforms-popularity-october-2015-top-five-solutions-take-three-quarters-of-the-market/

ShayneTilley
    • Total posts: 4

Personally I think it’s more wordpresses doing than WooCommerce however magento has failed to really innovate at the same pace too.

Aussie startup bigcommerce seems to be a massive ommission and makes me question these stats.

JohnTranter
    ShayneTilley, post: 222572, member: 72304 wrote:
    Aussie startup bigcommerce seems to be a massive ommission and makes me question these stats.

I think Bigcommerce is outside the top 10 globally for the top 1,000,000.

I think WordPress’ easy accessibility for web professionals is the key in these stats, they’re going to be the one’s pushing a particular technology.

ShayneTilley
    • Total posts: 4

Let’s also note: WordPress ie Automatic, also owns WooCommerce so would be fueling this growth :)

In 2014

• Automatic / WordPress in total valued at: $1.16 billion
    • BigCommerce valuation $500 Million
    AngusMcKinnon
    • Total posts: 9

Don’t look at the top million :)

Use the filter to look at the top 10,000 (best) or top 100,000 to get a better view.

http://www.builtwith.com (Aussie company) also has some good free ecommerce technology stats.

JohnTranter
    AngusMcKinnon, post: 228076, member: 57127 wrote:
    Use the filter to look at the top 10,000 (best) or top 100,000 to get a better view.

What’s the logic behind that? I would have thought the top 10,000 would have a much larger budget than most, along with a dedicated online team.

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    ShayneTilley, post: 222584, member: 72304 wrote:
    Let’s also note: WordPress ie Automatic, also owns WooCommerce so would be fueling this growth :)

In 2014

• Automatic / WordPress in total valued at: $1.16 billion
    • BigCommerce valuation $500 Million

HI Shayne,

Auttomatic only bought WooCommerce mid way through last year and we’re yet to really see any big changes (apart from a revamp to the marketplace). In the 2 years before Auttomatic bought them they had already seen downloads go from 1 million to 7 million so they were doing pretty well on “their own”.

Personally, I think/hope the big change that might be coming would be a move to a more complete hosted solution (maybe WooCommerce.com?) to take on the likes of Shopify, Wix, Squarespace (and more locally, Neto, eCorner etc)

This would be exciting because it would remove many of the security concerns associated with cheap (re: offshore) WooCommerce builds as well as hopefully improving the quality and compatibility of extensions being used. If they make it freemium they could be on to a winner!

Maclean

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.