Home Forums Tech talk Aliases Worthwhile? Do Spammers Randomly Create Email Addresses?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    GuestMember
    • Total posts: 318

Someone has signed up to my site using tradesecrets@xyz123.com

Very unlikely to be coincidence. He may have filtering set up especially for us but I doubt it and he could do this using our From address anyway.

So my suspicion is that he’s doing what I used to do. I’d set up different aliases and addresses for each company to contain the problem if they release my details to other companies without permission. I also planned to have it out with any company that breached my trust or didn’t protect data securely because I could trace the spam problem back to them as no other company would have the email ID.

Clever, I thought. However, I stopped doing it because someone said spammers don’t simply harvest and buy lists so much these days anyway. They simply churn out random emails because frankly, they don’t care if 99% don’t work. If I couldn’t hold the company to account, it didn’t seem worth bothering.

What’s your take?

Jake Gardner
    • Total posts: 44

I wouldn’t really worry about it. For the amount of time that you could spend making aliases, managing them and also tracking down the culprits it is probably not worth it.

I would just have a good spam protection setup and also periodically clean out your marketing emails.

Getting junk email is nowdays just a part of having an email address(just like back in the “old” days when people would drop off junk mail) or doing business.

I personally have a couple of email addresses, one for signing up to forums, newsletters, free downloads, etc. and one for doing my regular business.

GuestMember
    • Total posts: 318

Thanks Jake. I have just a few now of increasing disposability from a family only one that never changes to a scumbag one! I wonder whether people think spammers do randomly generate IDs rather than always scraping from sites and using lists.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.