Home – New Forums Other discussions Am I a failure?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Julie Janzon
    • Total posts: 40
    Up
    ::

I’ve had my bookkeeping business for a solid twelve months. According to my P&L I reached my target income of $1000 per week. BUT my husband has been out of work for most of the last 3 months and we just can’t manage any longer.

So I’ve gone looking for “work” in the real world. I sent out 2 applications, had 2 interviews and got a “job”.

I intend to keep my last five clients. I have 2 who have closed and owe me money. Quite frankly I’ll be amazed if I ever see it but I’ll keep after them.

I really liked this working from home gig. I thoroughly enjoyed my time, my clients (who paid), my colleagues on FS, and my independence. Hopefully I’ll be able to do it all again one day.

So does this mean I’m a failure? Or is it more of a case of wrong time for me to try? I really want to Fly Solo again soon.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

You are a success not a failure. Unfortunately life has a habit of interrupting us sometimes (in this case, your partner’s situation). However, it’s great that you are keeping the good clients and I hope you will be able to manage both. Once you have been working independently it’s very hard to work for someone else.

So, I sincerely wish you the best. I hope that you will be able to get back to full solo as soon as things are back on track.

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

Not for a second, and as Karen has pointed out circumstances sometimes dictate our decisions – keeping the family happy is always a bigger priority in my opinion because as you’ve said you can come back one day.

Lindz
    • Total posts: 254
    Up

Two interviews and a job from just two applications! That sounds to me like someone who is really good at what they do .
    I’m sure you’ll find things to like with the ‘job,’ while you keep a few clients, until the time comes for you to get back to Flying Solo full time.

All best,

Lindsay

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    Lindz, post: 153424 wrote:
    Two interviews and a job from just two applications! That sounds to me like someone who is really good at what they do . Absolutely!

And wow, I wish I’d been making $1000 after my first 12 months in business! (I made less than $5k in my first year!).

It’s unfortunate that your husband has been out of work and the cost of living is so damn high that your current earnings aren’t meeting your needs. The fact that you’ve had interviews for both your applications and been offered a job from one of them shows you’re clearly switched on and know your stuff!

Hopefully your husband can find another job soon and maybe you can go back to being your own boss.

All the best,

Anna :)

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

No your not a failure,
    Just unlucky with timing and that $1000 per week is not enough to keep you going till your husband finds some work.

Will the new job be earning you much more than that?

Steve

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

Ditto with everyone’s comment so far…. Very Well done for your 1st year, the ATO very rarely expects anyone to make a profit in their 1st year or 2.

I’m sure your husband will find work very soon and you’ll be able to work your own business again, and who knows maybe you’ll be able to contract back to current employer. That’s exactly what I did when I left my last full-time position and went out on my own.

Congratulations on your success and I’m sure it will continue,

Brent

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Wow, well I think it’s all been said!

You are so far from being a failure it’s not funny.

With a small handful of clients, there’s no reason you can’t keep your business ticking over nicely in the background and when the time is right, fire it up again.

Just stay connected with us little guys and keep things bubbling!

Robert

Julie Janzon
    Up

Thanks everyone …. I felt like such a sell out for going back into the work force after such a short time. I really wanted to make a go of it but it just wasn’t the right time. My clients want to stay with me so hopefully I can manage my time well and do both. I’ll stay on top of what you’re all doing here on FS so mind your P’s and Q’s.
    I’ll be Flying Solo again one day soon.
    cheers and thanks again for the support

Julie

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

No way is that a failure! Definite success as everyone else has mentioned – you reached your target income – that’s absolutely fantastic!

Reasons beyond your control are dictating this decision.

I say bloody well done to you! (and hope you can come back to it soon)

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

So you think you’re a failure for sacrificing your personal venture for the sake of your husband?

Am i missing something here?

To me, a failure is someone who quits and never learns from or acknowledges their mistakes.

Julie Janzon
    Up

Do you want to hear something funny?

I failed at failing!

I lasted 4 days out in the real world.

I hated it with a passion. I hated working with people. I hated working to their rules, at their desks, with their computers, their filing systems, listening to them talk and not listening to my music. Worst of all I had to get dressed and wear makeup.

Then my son was diagnosed with the “Big C” and needs treatment and that trumped the lot. So bugger the money, we’ll manage, my son needs me.

And I got two new clients while I was away from my office.

So I’m back flying solo where I obviously belong.

Gees I’ve missed it.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Hi Julie – had to reply straight away.

First time you have probably been congratulated on failing.
    Congratulations!

Obviously circumstances have prevailed and put you ‘back where you belong’. I do hope that you are able to juggle everything. Been there, done that. But it’s worth it in the long run.

You can do it!!

‘If you build it, they will come.’
    (Field of Dreams)

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

The most dangerous risk of all – the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later ~ Randy Komisar

You’re so right, you will manage and long term I’m tipping will be happier. Children need love, not money – too many get that mixed up. I hope it all works out with his health and being there for him is a great start.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.