Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Am I World’s Number 1?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Paul B.
    • Total posts: 119
    Up
    ::

Hi Soloists,

Im in the process of cooking up a slogan and was wandering what limitations there are to what you can claim. For instance, if i said I was ‘the world’s number 1 online (insert product) store’ how accountable do I have to be to that claim? How can it be proved?

Thanks!

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Its absolutely fine,

Trade practices does not allow misleading however hugely exaggerated is ok because no one should believe that anyway. Its called puffery.

see the accc

so go get puffy :)

Steve

Paul B.
    Up

Thanks Steve,

Im going to ‘puff the hell outta it’ 😎

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 122431 wrote:
    Its absolutely fine,

Trade practices does not allow misleading however hugely exaggerated is ok because no one should believe that anyway. Its called puffery.

Quantifiable claims like “World’s Number One” or “World’s Most Popular” won’t necessarily be puffery in many cases. Your advice that it is absolutely fine is absolutely dangerous.

Paul B.
    Up
    victorng, post: 122441 wrote:
    Quantifiable claims like “World’s Number One” or “World’s Most Popular” won’t necessarily be puffery in many cases. Your advice that it is absolutely fine is absolutely dangerous.

Victor,

This seems to be your area of expertise. Do you think I have a strong case to agrue that the slogan could be classified as puffery? If not what would I need to do to protect myself?

Cjay
    • Total posts: 183
    Up
    Paul B., post: 122448 wrote:
    Victor,

This seems to be your area of expertise. Do you think I have a strong case to agrue that the slogan could be classified as puffery? If not what would I need to do to protect myself?

Perhaps something which shows the value of your business, instead of hot air?

Is your value in quality? Turn around time? Thinking outside of the square? I should think you’d gain a lot more from finding a slogan which resonates with your business and gets the customer thinking about your point of difference, as opposed to such a generic line?

Paul B.
    Up
    Cjay, post: 122475 wrote:
    Perhaps something which shows the value of your business, instead of hot air?

Is your value in quality? Turn around time? Thinking outside of the square? I should think you’d gain a lot more from finding a slogan which resonates with your business and gets the customer thinking about your point of difference, as opposed to such a generic line?

Hmmm yes I guess you are right. Something so extravagent isnt really the tone I want to set for my brand.

I should be chasing something that says dealing with me will be simple/uncomplicated/easy.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

And there you have it…Dealing with Us is Simple

Wendy :)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

You could simply change Earth to Universe.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

Whatever claim you end up making, make sure you can back it up. No one likes a liar.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    victorng, post: 122441 wrote:
    The act specifically has a section which allows for outrageous claims.
    “worlds number 1 stamp shop” is reasonably outrageous. Sounding the danger alarm is rather alarmist.

Allow me to quote from the accc

What is ‘puffery’? Is ‘puffery’ misleading?

Puffery is a term used to describe wildly exaggerated, fanciful or vague claims for a product or service that nobody could possibly treat seriously, and that nobody could reasonably be misled by. Examples of puffery include ‘best food in town’ or ‘freshest taste ever’.

From the looks of it the OP has been swayed away now from exploring this avenue, possibly for the best but I wouldnt presume to know the best approach to take when marketing to domestic and international stamp buyers. But thats not what he was really asking for anyway.

To Paul.
    I think if you really want to do it, and you think its the right marketing approach, then give the accc a call and find out what they’re going to think of it yourself.

Steve

Paul B.
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 122509 wrote:
    “worlds number 1 stamp shop” is reasonably outrageous. Sounding the danger alarm is rather alarmist.

Puffery is a term used to describe wildly exaggerated, fanciful or vague claims for a product or service that nobody could possibly treat seriously, and that nobody could reasonably be misled by. Examples of puffery include ‘best food in town’ or ‘freshest taste ever’.

From the looks of it the OP has been swayed away now from exploring this avenue, possibly for the best but I wouldnt presume to know the best approach to take when marketing to domestic and international stamp buyers. But thats not what he was really asking for anyway.

To Paul.
    I think if you really want to do it, and you think its the right marketing approach, then give the accc a call and find out what they’re going to think of it yourself.

Steve

Will do Steve, thanks for your help.

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up

Puffery is a common law concept. The Act does not provide the exception. Happy to be proven wrong if you can point me to the section.

I don’t regard sounding the ‘danger alarm’ when someone says any exaggerated claim is “absolutely fine” is alarmist at all. Whether something is mere puffery or misleading and deceptive conduct depends on an examination of all the relevant circumstances. That’s why advice that any exaggerated claim is “absolutely fine” (without an examination of the circumstances in which the claim is made) is dangerously bad advice.

Again, you have to be careful with quantifiable claims and the context in which you make them. This is not an area that you give blithe advice on.

Gordan
    Up

I personally hate those “world number 1” OR “‘s number 1″ claims. It doesnt really do anything to be honest.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

be humble and customer centric and that’s how you become the world’s number one without having to brag about it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.