Home – New Forums Tech talk Amazon launches Glacier

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up
    ::

Amazon just launched a new cloud storage for backups ‘Glacier‘. 1.2c (yes, that’s 1.2 cents) per gig/month for offsite backups stored in Asia/Pacific region. Sounds like a good time to really get those off site backups sorted!

adrian
    Participant
    Up

OK, after going through this today in more detail…

Summary
    Not so hot for backups, great for archives. Most people are better off wating until Arq for Mac or Cloudberry for PC is updated to use Glacier.

I wrote a blog post on this if you want further explanation.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Thanks for the link, looks like my quiet afternoon is going to be doing some background reading.

Had a quick glance at Arq, does this work the same as Sugarsync or similar?

I currently use Dropbox and Sugarsync but in slightly different ways, Dropbox I put folders in it and share stuff with clients ( convinced enough client’s to go this way that somehow I’ve accumulated nearly 30 gig for free), so it backs up those files.

With Sugarsync I nominate folders on the HD I want backed up, don’t have to think about where I put them but know they’re done. Both apps sync across all devices but I don’t bother with Sugarsync on the phone.

I’ve found that I’ve rapidly chewed up my free 5 gig with Sugarsync and was pondering going to a paid version or something similar, interested to review alternatives before getting my wallet out, so thanks for the lead.

adrian
    Participant
    Up

I’ve never used Sugarsync, so I can’t say for sure. But from a quick look they seem very different. Sugarsync seems more like Dropbox?

Arc is more for backup than sync. It has better versioning built in than Dropbox – like you can’t accidentally overwrite a file. Arc itself includes no storage space, all the storage happens on Amazon S3, and soon Glacier. It’s more for bigger backups than synching, say your iTunes library or photos.

I use Dropbox for sync and a NAS drive for local backups. As soon as Glacier is supported, I’ll use Arc to backup the NAS to the cloud as well.

On a related note, one app I’ve installed, but not got around to using, is Cubby. It seems like a combination of Dropbox, for files you want access to in the cloud, as well as unlimited file sync across different computers locally. Have to get around to actually using it soon…

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Yep, I use Dropbox for sync, plus as a series of shared folders with client’s, most of whom aren’t too good on file management and email attachments, they just put whatever in Dropbox and it appears on my machines, I then put the finished job back in their Dropbox folder.

Where Dropbox is like a master folder that syncs and backs up whats in it but ignores the rest of your HD, or Home folder, Sugarsync basically picks up everything on the HD and then you can selectively remove or edit stuff (folders) you do or don’t want backed up. What’s backed up on my notebook is different to what’s backed up on the desktop but I can get at either from the individual machine or everything from a web based account, which is why I thought Arq may be similar apart from the storage going to Amazon (which is possibly what Sugarsync is doing as well).

I’m not sure but I think Sugarsync might only be available for Mac.

Anyway, always a good idea to check out what’s new, till these sort of services came along I was crap at backing up and paid the price more than once.

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Sugar sync is available for pc. It rocks. Slightly more complicated than Dropbox, but I like that flexibility. It’s listed as one of my top 10 downloads below.

Liam Campbell
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

I use Carbonite, Dropbox and YouSendIt. I like the way Carbonite auto backs up my entire computer without having to think about it. Just make sure the settings are correct. However, it did take a while for the initial 220GB backup. Also back up to external drive regularly and use backupify to backup online accounts.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Carbonite got a lot of votes in another thread.
    Im going to take a look.

Steve

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.