Home – New Forums Money matters Amex and 3%+ surcharge

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    ::

Looking at a site and I see they charge an extra 3.5% if you use an American Express card.

WHY??

My Amex account charges me less than the bank does to process Visa and Mastercard.

I have yet to meet any merchant who is charged more in processing fees that regular cards….

I feel like approaching the ACCC aboit this.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up
    King, post: 126275 wrote:
    Looking at a site and I see they charge an extra 3.5% if you use an American Express card.

WHY??

My Amex account charges me less than the bank does to process Visa and Mastercard.

I have yet to meet any merchant who is charged more in processing fees that regular cards….

I feel like approaching the ACCC aboit this.

Hi King, pleased to meet you :)

Visa/Mastercard = 0.7%
    Amex = 2.6%

I have asked Amex to sharpen their pencil and got a polite refusal.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

In a business I used to work at 10 years back or so. Amex cost us 2% extra over mastercard/visa and was also a pain in the neck to process/audit. So we decided not to take it . People that had Amex seemed to always have a spare credit card of a different variety anyway.

That was long time ago though.

As someone who pays cash, I don’t really like subsidising credit card payers. IMO The price on the bill should reflect what they cost. For example if visa charge 1% then I should pay 1% extra, if it costs $5 to bank my cash, I should pay $5 extra….etc…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.