Home – New Forums Tech talk An app lottery…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up
    ::

You’ve just won a gazillion dollars!

All jokes aside, some of you might have read some of my posts and comments before this, so hello, and my apologies for being away for so long.

For reasons I’ll not go into, I’ve had to go back to “the grind” (the old 9-5 commute thing) but I think I’ve found a way to get back to flying solo, which is what I really, really want to do.

@estim8 and I and others have had some discussion on some of the new software development platforms that have been released recently.

One of those is Meteor – and after having worked with and on so many tech stacks over the last 30 years, I find Meteor to be a breath of fresh air.

In my grind, we’ve been using Meteor, and that’s great, but I want to use Meteor to help everyone else… and help myself in the process.

But what is Meteor?

From their site:

Meteor is a complete open source platform
    for building web and mobile apps
    in pure JavaScript.

meteor.com

And I iterate, mobile apps, for iOS and Android, and web apps, from a single set of code.

You could, if you had a mind and a particular bent, go there and learn and code and develop your very own app, if you weren’t so busy with your business.

I want to get back to being busy with my business, so I am offering this:

I will develop an app for you using Meteor, free of charge.

Why would I do that?

Because, at 54 years old, I seriously need to look toward my future, and if I can create a new way to support myself without relying on the pension in the future, then that’s what I want to do.

But I can only gauge the effectiveness of this new idea if I know that my idea has a grounding in reality – and therein lies the rub – I need someone to put their hand up, take a leap of faith and say yes, I want an app, lets work together.

I want to fly solo (again), and you need an app for your business.

We both win.

Obviously, given my limited time constraints, I can’t do this for everyone for free.

I would prefer to work with someone who is just starting out flying solo, but if you’re an existing soloist, please get in touch also.

Having said all that, I have no idea how to choose a “winner” for this app lottery.

If you’re interested, contact me and we’ll work something out, somehow, someway.

Thanks and accept all my very best wishes for your business.

You soloists “rock” and I’m proud to be part of this community.

Cheers
    Brad

bradzo
    Up

Just checked back after a few minutes, and I see 13 views but no comments / replies.

Why is that?

I know its Saturday afternoon, and you have a life (!) so I understand.

Don’t be shy – post away! :)

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

G’day Brad,

I’ve had a change of forum name since we last exchanged posts cause I no longer estim8.

Glad to see you’re still exited about Meteor, I’ve still only fiddled at the edges … for some reason I’ve had a few websites to do that have distracted me (but I shall return).

My suggestion for selecting the “winner” is to go with the person who can most clearly define the logic behind their idea for an app.

I’ve assisted a couple of businesses in the past ( free websites) to get to grips with new platforms and languages, and I think your idea is a great way to get traction, but I did find sometimes the ideas behind the ones I did were a bit “loose” … leading to a lot of time educating and fine tuning where it was all headed … it was still a great experience, but if you’re looking for a “solo” type move I’d be picking through the ideas for someone with a very clear view of what they want (and why).

Good luck with it, Cheers

bradzo
    Up

Thanks Greg!

And thanks for your comments – that was sort of kind of what I had in my mind when I posted re assisting other businesses… :)

Yes a very clear idea is certainly a winner.

Thanks mate

Cheers
    Brad

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    bradzo, post: 217984, member: 3742 wrote:
    Just checked back after a few minutes, and I see 13 views but no comments / replies.

Why is that?

I know its Saturday afternoon, and you have a life (!) so I understand.

Don’t be shy – post away! :)
    Brad,
    I was one of those 13 views, and I guess I didn’t comment, because sorry to say I wouldn’t go with someone who is just experimenting with the new tools and facilities. Sure even though it is free, you yourself admit you don’t have much time, so say I went for a paid solution, sure it will cost me money, but I know that I can set the timetable, and not just as time allows, also hopefully, but not guaranteed I will get someone who is experienced with the development platform. As such I can ask for and test drive some of their previous work, and also hopefully get someone who knows the best ways to use the platform.
    I know it sounds negative, but you wanted a post. they are my thoughts.

bradzo
    Up

Thanks Bert

Your honesty is completely refreshing.
    I understand.

Perhaps if I pointed everyone to an app I’ve already developed for the book I’m writing – would that help?

Give me a few days to get links etc sorted.

Cheers
    Brad

Greg_M
    Up

I’ve been playing around with ideas for an app (never stop really) and Meteor has been in the mix as a possible framework … still not sure, but here’s the seed of an idea that may get you started.

I live in a rapidly growing and quite large tourism area, currently very poorly supported online … especially how to find stuff on mobile …

As a result I’ve been getting very interested in what can be done with mapping API’s (not the crap from Google), have a look at what’s happening at https://www.mapbox.com as an example of where they’re headed.

Smart fellow like you should be able to something with that and Meteor.

BTW Bert, do you wake up cynical, or do you put it on your weetbix?

Cheers

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    Greg_M, post: 218013, member: 38207 wrote:
    BTW Bert, do you wake up cynical, or do you put it on your weetbix?

Cheers
    No weetbix here, Brad was having a whinge that no one had replied, so I gave him a reply of my thoughts on a reason for no one taking up the offer. On a forum you may get 100 views before someone has input, to complain after just 13, well.

I have spent way to many years on the receiving end of developers offering the world, but having had no experience or time to meet deadlines. when you are running a business, you need to know what is being delivered and when.

BTW I find it very interesting that Brad is writing a book “”The Definitive Guide to Developing and Publishing Android Mobilë on Meteor”, but he himself admits that he has little or no experience with the product…

The only app he has to share with us is one hat he is developing for the book,

Would you call that cynical or just being realistic.

bradzo
    Up

Hey Greg

Thanks mate.

Mapbox looks really interesting.

Lest I keep harping on about Meteor, I just want to say there is a package from a guy called David Burles, https://atmospherejs.com/dburles a developer who lives in Melbourne and has published quite a few Meteor packages, one of which is a reactive Google Maps thing.

https://atmospherejs.com/dburles/google-maps

So you add the package, and instantiate it, and do all that is needed, and lo and behold, you get a map with a marker at your current position.

And to get your current position, you can add:

https://atmospherejs.com/mdg/geolocation

And it all just works.

“I live in a rapidly growing and quite large tourism area, currently very poorly supported online … especially how to find stuff on mobile …”

Could we collaborate on this?

Would love to catch up and talk further.

Cheers
    Brad

Greg_M
    Up

Guess I’m always up for an adventure, and if someone without capital but a great idea get’s a chance for a run … why not?

What I’ve seen of Brad’s stuff, I doubt he’d be taking anyone too far up the garden path.

Apologies for any offence, none intended … at 63, I’ve decided to stop always being realistic.

Greg_M
    Up
    bradzo, post: 218015, member: 3742 wrote:
    Hey Greg

Could we collaborate on this?

Would love to catch up and talk further.

Cheers
    Brad

Any time … it’s just a collection of very rough ideas, that I don’t seem to have enough time to get started or refine.

greg@otway.io

Cheers

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    Greg_M, post: 218016, member: 38207 wrote:
    Apologies for any offence, none intended … at 63, I’ve decided to stop always being realistic.

No offence taken, just I worry when I see someone come along and offer the lottery win to small business, and as you know from a lot of the questions on here a lot of small business people aren’t tech savy, so they see an offer like this and think, great the solution to my problems. But they need to be aware that sure they may be getting something for free. But is it just the start of their problems. Hey the offer sounds good, and it may be of benefit to someone, but they need to go into it with there eyes wide open, not just its free.
    Just my 2 cents

bradzo
    Up

Hi Bert

No worries.

I understand your concerns.

I’ve been developing software for 36 years so I’m not a newbie.

I agree with you that Meteor is a new platform, and that I am still learning it, but bear with me with this:

1. Javascript has been around for years and years and years, and powers FlyingSolo’s website (and millions of others), so its not an new thing.
    2. The “Meteor Development Group”, the company / entity that provides the platform for free, has, in total, 31 million dollars in investor funding, so I don’t believe they’ll go away any time soon.
    3. We all start out with a thing that we want to do. I’m sure you’re still learning stuff about your business. All of us learn new things every day.

Anyway, I appreciate and accept your comments.

Cheers
    Brad

bradzo
    Up

I apologise.

I just wanted to get back into Flying Solo and had an offer that I thought might be taken up by people here.

I know what I’m doing.

I didn’t want this to generate into … well, I don’t know.

Lets just leave it here.

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    bradzo, post: 218020, member: 3742 wrote:
    I apologise.

I just wanted to get back into Flying Solo and had an offer that I thought might be taken up by people here.

I know what I’m doing.

I didn’t want this to generate into … well, I don’t know.

Lets just leave it here.
    Brad, Don’t get me wrong, I think its a great offer and I hope someone takes it up, but hopefully with their eyes a little more open than just its free.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.