Home – New Forums Tech talk An app lottery…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    ::
    bradzo, post: 218020, member: 3742 wrote:
    I apologise.

I just wanted to get back into Flying Solo and had an offer that I thought might be taken up by people here.

I know what I’m doing.

I didn’t want this to generate into … well, I don’t know.

Lets just leave it here.

Would be a pity but not a surprise.

Once upon a time an offer like this would have been smashed with replies … back to “which CRM do I use?” and WordPress.

See ya’s

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

Hey Brad,

If you’re open to remote work, there’s a few sites with people looking for co-founders
    e.g.
    http://collabfinder.com/project?bg=1&interests=app

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 218084, member: 20554 wrote:
    Hey Brad,

If you’re open to remote work, there’s a few sites with people looking for co-founders
    e.g.
    http://collabfinder.com/project?bg=1&interests=app

Thanks John!
    I signed up and requested to join a project – will let you know how it goes.
    Thanks again for the tip – that’s a great resource to pick up some work etc.

Cheers
    Brad

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Brad,
    Back to your original post…

Could it be that you are targeting the wrong audience on FS?

As a marketer, I find the whole issue of “apps” fascinating. Web user surveys indicate:

• The VAST majority of mobile phone Internet usage is spent on apps.
    • The ave. number of regularly used mobile apps is 26 and this has barely changed in the last 12 months.

I wonder how many millions of apps have been produced to compete for the Internet time and space occupied by these 26 apps?

It is starting to look to me like there will be a fight between the big end of town marketers with apps for things like shopping, entertainment, fast food, real estate, accommodation, etc. and there will be another app group where very specific, small audience, high value, special interest requirements apply.
    Regs,
    JohnW

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    JohnW, post: 218362, member: 6375 wrote:
    Hi Brad,
    Back to your original post…

Could it be that you are targeting the wrong audience on FS?

As a marketer, I find the whole issue of “apps” fascinating. Web user surveys indicate:

• The VAST majority of mobile phone Internet usage is spent on apps.
    • The ave. number of regularly used mobile apps is 26 and this has barely changed in the last 12 months.

I wonder how many millions of apps have been produced to compete for the Internet time and space occupied by these 26 apps?

It is starting to look to me like there will be a fight between the big end of town marketers with apps for things like shopping, entertainment, fast food, real estate, accommodation, etc. and there will be another app group where very specific, small audience, high value, special interest requirements apply.
    Regs,
    JohnWOK,

What are those 26 apps?

How many of those are app’s for websites? How many are standalone apps?

I can guess Facebook is number 1.

More info would be awesome!

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up
    JohnW, post: 218362, member: 6375 wrote:

Thanks John – yes, you are right I’m sure.

I’ve seen so many articles saying that mobile traffic is where its at now. Even Google are choosing “mobile-friendliness” as a ranking signal, so…:)

Niche market apps are probably the go, and your post has really made me think about that more than I had before with regards to the FS membership.

Anyway, I’m getting some traction in other areas (as are a lot of other devs around the world) re Meteor as an app developmennt platform, so I’m happy at the moment with where I’m at.

Thanks for your thoughts – much appreciated.

Cheers
    Brad

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 218367, member: 3997 wrote:
    OK,

What are those 26 apps?

How many of those are app’s for websites? How many are standalone apps?

I can guess Facebook is number 1.

More info would be awesome!
    Hi Matt,
    Following are a couple of surveys on the USA app market.

Jun 15: So Many Apps, So Much More Time for Entertainment
    “A recent Nielsen analysis found that on average, U.S. smartphone users accessed 26.7 apps per month in the fourth quarter of 2014—a number that has remained relatively flat over the last two years.”

“Nielsen found that when it comes to smartphone usage, the Gaming entertainment subcategory is the biggest draw. In fact, 76% of entertainment app users (115 million) played at least one game in fourth-quarter 2014, and time spent on gaming increased by 1:35 per month to 10:02. Music is the second most popular subcategory, with a 13 million increase year over year among users. “

Aug 14: Most Smartphone Users Don’t Download Any Apps: Report

“According to a latest report by American Internet analytics company comScore, most US smartphone owners download zero apps in a typical month.

It may be because people just do not need that many apps. The apps people already have are more than suitable for their needs like Facebook, Google, Twitter, WhatsApp, Yahoo etc.”

The “most” referenced by comScore was 65.5% of US smartphone users did not download any app in a typical month.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.