Home – New Forums Tech talk An SEO question/or confirmation of a stuff up please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    ::

I usually get the basics ok for client sites, but this time I have a website for an existing client that refuses to appear or climb it’s way up in Google search.

Yes, I know if I had analytics etc installed I could probably get an answer that way…I’m doing that now (I was slack), but I have a suspicion about what’s wrong and I’m just looking to see if my suspicion is correct and if my “solution” will help.

Background:

I have a client with a very successful water cartage business, his very simple website does well in local search and generates plenty of leads…he recently developed a secondary business that I think (he doesn’t see it) is closely affiliated with his water cartage business, i.e. cleaning out water tanks when their dirty or contaminated (dead possums etc).

He asked me to register a separate domain and build him a simple mobile optimised site for the new business (now done), in the meantime I added some content to his existing site regarding the new service…probably sat there for a month before the new site was up and running. When the new site was operational I added a link to same from the content on the original site and…here’s where I think I stuffed up, I duplicated some of the copy on the new tank cleaning site…and left the water cleaning copy on the water cartage site.

The website (new one) is Google certified and actually running on Googles own hosting infrastructure (Firebase)…but not connected to analytics (yet/today maybe).

After he whinged about his ranking, or lack of it, I pulled the copy from the original site and just left a brief intro and a link to the new tank cleaning site.

Was the duplicate copy an issue? Will deleting it help?

Or…am I barking up the wrong tree. Thanks in advance for any clues :)

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Well without the details and access to everything its hard to comment but there are a few things to look at starting with the new site being ‘certified’?

Did you perhaps mean ‘verified’? In any case, is the new site actually indexed? (verification means you are a ‘verified’ user/owner but does not mean anything in relation to ranking or indexation).

Apart from now linking from the old site to the new – has anything been done to bring the new site to Google’s attention with or without the dupe content?

The dupe content is not necessarily a big issue, but it may be ignored until it’s replaced with something more unique (and then made known to Google).

Greg_M
    Up

Hi Aidan,

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, it was verification, not certification and done as part of connecting the domain name to Googles Firebase hosting infrastructure including an IP address supplied by them.

Maybe I made some assumptions that I shouldn’t have, i.e. that because it was running on their stuff from end to end…Google Web Kit, Google Material Design Lite and their specific in house JavaScript as well as their hosting (and a whole heap of other stuff we’re not using atm)…that it may have been “noticed” in their automated processes and and least gone in some sort of queue to be crawled (I didn’t expect any search advantage because of this though…just recognition of the sites existence).

The site is now showing up in search albeit on about page 4 for “water tank cleaning (specific location)”. Previously the same search would bring up the water cartage site with a snippet of the tank cleaning content showing…and ahead of the tank cleaning site with the duplicate copy (now removed).

Nothing has been done specifically to bring either site to Googles attention, though the water cartage domain has been around a long while in various formats.

Maybe we just panicked a bit early?

For what it’s worth here’s the two sites as they are now:

https://wazzastankcleaning.com.au

http://wazzaswater.com.au

Cheers

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Greg – it’s amazing the power Google has over the visibility (or invisibility) of a website. Good to hear it’s showing signs of life now :) I like the tank cleaning site – very clean and simple, pun intended.
    Cheers, Peter

Greg_M
    Up
    Peter – FS Administrator, post: 250399, member: 1 wrote:
    Hi Greg – it’s amazing the power Google has over the visibility (or invisibility) of a website. Good to hear it’s showing signs of life now :) I like the tank cleaning site – very clean and simple, pun intended.
    Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter, though I would prefer he didn’t paint his trucks red :(

As usual for me (and slightly off topic), this site is part of an experiment in getting the hang of what can be done with PWA’s (Progressive Web Apps) and Googles offerings on “Firebase”, all a bit useless on his site (apart from load speed and free hosting), but the client is game and we’re developing a cunning plan for some possibilities with PWA’s…which I’m beginning to think are going to explode…for anyone interested in what they can do.

https://developers.google.com/web/progressive-web-apps/

Also…again off topic, but a pretty impressive service worth checking out if you’re over the CMS shared hosting paradigm like me.

https://firebase.google.com

Cheers

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Greg – I wasn’t familiar with either of those Google options, thanks! They look interesting. Trying to keep up is a challenge :)

Greg_M
    Up
    Peter – FS Administrator, post: 250446, member: 1 wrote:
    Hi Greg – I wasn’t familiar with either of those Google options, thanks! They look interesting. Trying to keep up is a challenge :)

A “challenge” is a polite way of putting it, it’s almost impossible imo, but I do think it’s important to try…or risk missing out completely, to your competitors advantage.

The trick seems to be differentiating between developer/designer fads or comfort zones and real business value (easy said, harder to get right).

Aside:
    I do remember taking a bit of “agro” quite a while back from several designers and developers, when I suggested ‘responsive design’ was the only way to fly…

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.