Home – New Forums Tech talk Analytics – Track multiple pages w/ the same URL?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dangaff
    • Total posts: 244
    Up
    ::

I’ve come across bit of a dilemma.

This is the path my website takes when you sell:
    Step 1: Item Details – /sell_item.php?option=new_item

Step 2: Settings – /sell_item.php

Step 3: Shipping & Payment – /sell_item.php

Step 4: Preview – /sell_item.php

Step 5: Confirmation/Preview – /sell_item.php

I imagine many others have come across the same problem. I did find a page that explained it quite well but they required coding to be input into the website. My website operates from an admin interface which I put in a analytics code for the website as a whole. Then I use Analytics to get further information by inputting the URL etc goals. So this coding method wasn’t of much use to me (that I know anyway).

I’m hoping to find out where about’s in the process people may potentially be dropping out. – This is a bit hard though when the last 4 steps are the same URL.

The registration process is the same:
    Step 1 – Where you actually register, enter details etc – /register.php
    Step 2- Confirmation of register – /register.php

Thanks everyone

martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up

Hi there,

Could I see your website to give you a more tailored answer?

Thanks,
    Martin

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

This is easy.

Decide which page is the goal completion page, and set your goal to that.

If it carries over querystring parameters, you will need to use regular expressions as the match type.

If you’re not sure, look under ‘site pages’ pages in GA and it will give you clues.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

By my understanding, the only way to do this is with either Virtual Page Views or Events, and both of these would require changes to the code (assuming it doesn’t exist yet and simply hasn’t been activated)

What shopping cart are you using?

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up

If the pages are the same, FORCE querystring parameters to the end, OR, change your page names.

In any case, you shouldn’t have to muck around with code.

dangaff
    Up
    martin.firth, post: 170706 wrote:
    Hi there,

Could I see your website to give you a more tailored answer?

Thanks,
    Martin

https://www.gunauctions.com.au

John Romaine, post: 170711 wrote:
    This is easy.

Decide which page is the goal completion page, and set your goal to that.

If it carries over querystring parameters, you will need to use regular expressions as the match type.

If you’re not sure, look under ‘site pages’ pages in GA and it will give you clues.

Querystring meaning each of those steps I assume? I shall look in GA’s help section for ‘site pages’

JohnTranter, post: 170734 wrote:
    By my understanding, the only way to do this is with either Virtual Page Views or Events, and both of these would require changes to the code (assuming it doesn’t exist yet and simply hasn’t been activated)

What shopping cart are you using?

It’s a auction software so customising the code would be to costly most likely.

John Romaine, post: 170735 wrote:
    If the pages are the same, FORCE querystring parameters to the end, OR, change your page names.

In any case, you shouldn’t have to muck around with code.

That sounds better. – I’ll look at Google’s help section and see if that helps.

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up
    dangaff, post: 170743 wrote:
    Querystring meaning each of those steps I assume? I shall look in GA’s help section for ‘site pages’

No.

dangaff, post: 170743 wrote:
    That sounds better. – I’ll look at Google’s help section and see if that helps.

Figure out EXACTLY what the URL is for this page below.

It will no doubt be something like this…..

https://www.gunauctions.com.au/checkout/sell_item.php?item=1983&prod=jh871

etc etc etc

Once you have that, you will need to create a regular expression match within GOALS inside Google Analytics, and tie that in with what you have above.

Here’s one that I use on my own site.

/dlg/download.php?r=.{1,17}&p=2$

If you don’t know what regular expressions are, then I suggest you either a) learn, or b) get help.

There should be no need to muck around changing anything on your site.

Perform a test purchase and LOOK at the URL. Then match this up with GA under ‘content’

dangaff
    Up

Where can I find that link from then? Because all I see at the top is the same link through every step of the process. ie – http://www.gunauctions.com.au/sell_item.php
    Is there some hidden back door link or something?

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up

You certain?

Did you do a test purchase?

What is the full (and final) url upon completion of the transaction – on the last page.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

Query strings only appear if the web form is using a GET method. If the form is using the POST method, or the content is created using other technologies such as Ajax or Flash, then no query string will appear.

I thought that was the point of the original question! i.e. that there was no difference in the URL between the pages.

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up

/sell_item.php?option=new_item is NOT the same as /sell_item.php

There’s obviously something else going on here.

Without *seeing* the site in action, and the way its structured, its hard to know.

In any case, he could do what I’ve suggested, or put a hidden form field in inside the form and change the post type.

dangaff
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 170784 wrote:
    You certain?

Did you do a test purchase?

What is the full (and final) url upon completion of the transaction – on the last page.

Unless there is something wrong with my copy and paste button. I’m certain.
    Correct, did a test purchase in order to obtain the URL links provided in the OP.

(same as the prior three steps)

JohnTranter, post: 170822 wrote:
    Query strings only appear if the web form is using a GET method. If the form is using the POST method, or the content is created using other technologies such as Ajax or Flash, then no query string will appear.

I thought that was the point of the original question! i.e. that there was no difference in the URL between the pages.

Correct, the difference between the URL’s is so little that trying to funnel or make some form of goal in order to asses where people drop out of a process is impossible. Without 1) editing the code of the website (which won’t be done, not anytime soon anyway) or 2) figuring out within GA how to do it.

John Romaine, post: 170847 wrote:
    /sell_item.php?option=new_item is NOT the same as /sell_item.php

There’s obviously something else going on here.

Without *seeing* the site in action, and the way its structured, its hard to know.

In any case, he could do what I’ve suggested, or put a hidden form field in inside the form and change the post type.

Yes I know the two links aren’t the same, they’re two different steps in the process. However from the 2nd step forward, they remain the same URL.

Can anything be done within GA?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.