Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Another anxious, yet excited newbie.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Crash Lander
    • Total posts: 83
    Up
    ::

Alright!! have just been on the phone with Jena Dyco re the training, and it seems I will be able to get Gov funding in the new year, so instead of costing $4k, it’s only going to be $750!!
    Excitement levels rising!!
    They are going to contact me agin in early January to set it all up. Then I’m on my way to having my own business!!
    Did I mention my excitement levels are rising? ;-)

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Hi Crash Lander,

Just thought I’d offer my congrats to you and starting out on your new venture.

One thing I believe will set you apart from your competitors is if you have a CRM package (customer relationship manager) My favourite, because of price and user functionalitiy is ACT! by Sage

This software allows you to store information on your clients, such as when you last cleaned, remainder calls, notes about pricing, pretty much everything. Most people in the professions you are in do not spend any time creating an ongoing relationship, and simply expect the customer to phone them when they are needed.

I have recently done some mailing work for a chirpractor, who once a quarter posts out a newsletter to his customer base – two things that does, firstly, keeps him top of his customers minds and secondly signifcantly reduces the chance of them ever using someone else.

Here is some info on ACT –
    http://www.sagebusiness.com.au/Content_Common/pg-ACT-customer-contact-database.seo

Crash Lander
    Up

Thanks AgentMail, I’ll check that out when things start moving.

Got a meeting with my accountant tomorrow to do last years tax (I know! I know!!), and hopefully get the answers to all my little noobie questions. Once they are answered tomorrow, will determine my next steps, and how soon I register my business name etc. Have got the forms to start the training, so after tomorrow I’ll know when I can start that too.
    It’s amazing just how many people you come across in your normal day to day life that either know someone who can help you, or has a great idea for leads etc. I guess that’s the whole idea of networking. Something I’ve never really thought much about. When you don’t have a business, or aren’t looking for services, you don’t really think about it. As soon as you mention you are starting on your own, the hints, tips, and most importantly, the contacts start rolling in! It onlybtakes one person to know one person that might be able to use your service, and you’ve got a foot in the door.
    This all started out very daunting, and it still is, but thankfully, with each day, I’m getting more encouraged to proceed, rather than being discouraged because it’s too hard.
    Excitement levels at DEFCON 4.

beanonlinelately
    • Total posts: 80
    Up

Gday Crash Lander

Congrats on all your work so far, you’ve been putting in a lot of work based off the information in the threads and it seems like it’s starting to pay off.

One of the big things with starting a new business or any types of goals is to remain focused and not get side tracked on the small things.

A good little tip and one that I do is to write down your next step/goal on a post it and leave it on your computer/fridge or wherever suits as a constant reminder and driver.

Looking forward to hearing the next installment.

Cheers, Rod.

Crash Lander
    Up

Well, I saw the accountant today and asked all my noob questions.
    She basically told me to slow down and don’t spend any more money on getting things ready until i am ready to get it all done and go! Otherwise I will reduce my ability to claim depreciation etc.
    The trailer I already bought, can be sorted by ‘selling ‘ it to my old man and ‘buying’ it back from him when I’m ready to install a machine into it. So, it’s basically, keep the saving going, and once I have it all, or enopugh to get started at least, then get everything done at once and start running!
    She’s said they can help with insurances etc, and I have the card of their broker who will meet with me when I’m ready to discuss my requirements.
    She said I can get an ABN at anytime, but the website to get an ABN says I’m not eligible yet (due to not being ready to run the business yet), but I don’t need it really until I’m ready to register the business name. I need to contact consumer affairs and ask about name registration without trading. Someone here said it’s possible, but the info I’ve read says you must start trading within 2 months of name rego, so some clarification is required there.
    Excitememt levels at DEFCON 3.5.

Publishing428
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Wow! I just read through this thread and am so excited for you!

Keep us updated. Am loving that you are sharing your journey with us.

Lynda

Crash Lander
    Up

Will be sending payment and forms to the training school next week. Due to my current day job, and the available dates, I can’t start the training until the end of April, so nothing more, (other than saving for it!), will be happening until then. I guess a slow down is a good thing at this stage. At least I now have something definate to look forward to. Apart from getting the trailer, which I really shopuldn’t have bought yet, this is the first real commitment towards the goal that I’ve made.

Crash Lander
    Up

Well, payment and application forms have all been sent and accepted, so I’m all confirmed now!
    Have made contact with some other people already in the industry, and seems to be welcomed very openly, with offers of help, and advice, as well as several offers of spending a day with them and checking out their equipment!
    Hope to have my equipment, or at least some of it by mid year!
    Excitement levels at DEFCON 3.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Woo-hooo! Go Crash Lander!

I saw a Jena Dyco truck the other day in Sydney, and thought of you immediately. So excited to hear that everything is going well, and can’t wait for the next update.

Good luck!
    Jayne

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

Woo hoo! Keep up the good work, Crash Lander – the plan is coming together. :-)

Crash Lander
    Up

Spent another day with the offsider of the carpet cleaner I know yesterday.
    Got to see some actual carpet cleaning in action, and how to use the machine ets, then we did some flood cleanup. Pulling up the old mouldy stinky sopping wet carpet. Of course I’ve done this kind of thing before in the retail side of carpets, but it was another side of the daily work the carpet cleaners do.
    Even got paid for helping out for the day which was a nice bonus.
    Things progressing nicely!

traolcoladis
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

Hi Crash lander,
    have you had any sales training at all.

A good book to read on Sales is:

SPIN SELLING by NEIL Rackham.

Definitely worth the read. It outlines why successful sales staff who handle smaller sales fail when it come to sales that are of a larger $$ figure.

It also steps through the sales process

eg: Situation. Problem. Implication. Need/Payoff.

It is not a huge voluminous book but it is definitely worth the read.

Maybe a good start would be to generate a few appointments that you can have other Carpet Cleaners go to.

You could ensure the quality and Take a Fee for the referal or have them work for you on a job by job basis.

It might also be worth while speaking to property managers to see if you can get some working relationships happening.

It sounds like you have found a hole to plug but remember that there is only one of you and even though you may be able to do an excellent job might be worth while duplicating yourself by having others do the hard yacka after you do the initial appraisal and close the deal.

That way the business moves forward and makes you money and you arent sacrificing time with your spouse.

Hope this helps. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Crash Lander
    Up

Hi Andrew.
    Yep, well into the sales training. Been selling carpet for nigh on 13 years now, and I wrote the sales track for the company i currently work for, so no problems there.
    I have some working relationships with a couple opf real estate agents already through my current job, as well as 2 schools, a Westfield Shopping centre, at least 2 emergency insurance work allocation companies, and 2 carpet steam cleaning companies.
    One of the carpet cleaners I know, I have already begun generating leads for. I’ve spent 2 days with him so far on jobs for experience too.
    I have another carpet cleaning mob that is trying to feed me work already, even though I have no gear as yet, and they are happy for me to feed that work to my other carpet cleaning mate, and he is happy to feed me a fee for any work I give him.
    So, it sounds like I’m already doing most of the things you suggest. That in itself is reassuring. Thanks for your suggestions.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Sounds like it’s all still going well Crash Lander.

Love your work!
    Jayne

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

Hi Crash Lander,

Glad to hear things are coming together – and being paid is always good!

Keep us posted on here – don’t let your enthusiasm drop too much between now and late April – you can still nut out any ideas that are not fully concrete before you start the actual business.

Good luck!

Kathy

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.