Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Another Bright Idea….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Calcul8or
    Participant
    • Total posts: 481
    Up
    ::

One of the key reasons I started this little business of mine, was to offer SMEs the kind of services and resources that large corporations have at their fingertips.

And so, I was struck the other day by what I thought was a brilliant idea. Given that I’ve spent a good part of my working life analysing and reporting (at board level) sales, operations & financial performance, perhaps this is a service I could offer potential customers in addition to the work I do creating customised tools, models and applications.

At the end of each month, they could send me data dumps of their sales or any other data they wanted analysed, so i could slice and dice it to give them all sorts of insights about their performance such as YTD, YTG, to Budget, to Forecast, and comparisons to previous month etc. I could provide a comprehensive dashboard with commentary.

So I did a bit of research, and found that there are already a few cloud-based options that people have for this kind of thing. And obviously, this made my enthusiasm for the whole idea drop off a little. But then I thought, wait a minute! The point of difference I could offer is that I (or my systems) would do all the work for my clients, so they’re not wasting their time uploading their data to the cloud and customising their own reports etc. Surely that’s gotta be worth something, right? Well at that stage, I was faced with nothing but a sea of blank faces in my mind, so I thought I’d come and ask you guys what you thought of the idea.

So, whaddya think? Is something like this more likely to sink or swim? Would you pay for something like that?

Oh, I nearly forgot, I was also thinking of bundling a cash flow projector or something like that as part of the deal as well, either for their own use, or to be incorporated into their overall service package.

Programmer. Analyst. Nerd. Calcul8ors.com.au Custom Software & Collaboration
    WhatsThePlanDan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 297
    Up

Hi Calcul8or,

I went through a similar process. I work in Business Intelligence (you’ll know what that entails) and thought about doing something very similar to what you’ve described (I even have half a business plan prepared :cool:). Then I did some research and found all the tools you are probably talking about and got disheartened… then realised that what I would actually be offering could benefit customers by being system agnostic – in other words making use of all these fancy tools but doing the work for the customer using my skills and knowledge to maximise the return they make in the system.

I have decided to go in a totally different direction for now (based on my wife’s skills instead) but this is certainly an idea I still keep in the background for later.

Not sure if I’m being helpful here but what I’m trying to say is – even with all these fancy tools there is always going to be someone that wants to use them but doesn’t know where to begin – and that’s where opportunity lies!! (my opinion only – not backed up with any market research at this stage).

Cheers
    Daniel

Calcul8or
    Participant
    Up

Thanks WhatsThePlanDan (Dan for short?),

I see we were thinking on almost identical lines, and now I feel slightly bad for thinking about doing something you were thinking about. But I have to admit that I think you might be right in your summation of the potential to offer a more valuable service when you do all the work for someone. Also, I have a suspicion (without any evidence or backing whatsoever) that those cloud based services may not be able to deliver the full range o analysis that someone like us could.

So the tally so far is as follows:

Possibly good idea 1
    Possibly bad idea 0

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I’m shooting from the hip here, but my instant impression was that the idea sounded good, but you’re starting to get too many lines in the water under one banner.

I think you risk muddying the waters about what you’re actually selling.

If the ideas good enough, why not call it something else, and market it separately as another entity, I’m sure another website isn’t too much of a challenge with your skills, and see which one starts to fly (maybe both).

2 cents

Calcul8or
    Participant
    Up

I hear what you’re saying Estim8, but the two functions could quite comfortably fit under the existing banner because in my previous work incarnations, the analysis and reporting were the result of the systems I’d created anyway, which is what I’m now taking out to the world of SME’s.

The custom software/applications/solutions side of things is ad hoc, and is maddening when busy, but leaves only tumbleweeds for company when its not. So this could be a way to establish some ongoing and regular work, which would in turn keep me off the streets, which would be great.

WhatsThePlanDan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 297
    Up
    Calcul8or, post: 157403 wrote:
    Thanks WhatsThePlanDan (Dan for short?),

I see we were thinking on almost identical lines, and now I feel slightly bad for thinking about doing something you were thinking about. But I have to admit that I think you might be right in your summation of the potential to offer a more valuable service when you do all the work for someone. Also, I have a suspicion (without any evidence or backing whatsoever) that those cloud based services may not be able to deliver the full range o analysis that someone like us could.

So the tally so far is as follows:

Possibly good idea 1
    Possibly bad idea 0

I used to think like that – then I started spending a bit of time around here. The way I look at it is there are plenty of fish in the sea and two people doing the same thing ain’t so bad – after all how many people just on this forum are doing web design, graphic design or SEO??

Besides, I learned my lesson the hard way – only concentrate on one idea at a time – and this idea is firmly on the backburner for me at the moment.

Calcul8or
    Participant
    Up

Dan, you’re almost TOO logical! Thank you for being such a gentleman, and you’re absolutely right, there ain’t nothing wrong with more than one person providing the same service.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.