Home – New Forums Other discussions Another cybersquatter busted! – Trademark your IP and use no one else’s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up
    ::

Dear all,
    I mention here that this week, we managed to take action against a cyber squatter who was using one of our registered trademarks in their url to mislead and deceive our potential clients.
    The problem is widespread and we deal with it frequently and not always getting the results we should.
    But as a word of friendly advice to anyone who may be thinking of using another businesses trademark via cybersquatting, my advice is to think twice.
    WE gained control and use of the offending URL this week and this is the usual result of such actions.
    For those who have valuable IP (intellectual property), be they a trading logo or name (trademark) or invention (patent?), my advice is register it before someone else steals YOUR work.
    All the best

ClickyEmail
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

It’s always good to think about registering important domains that are related to your business in the event that something similar happens. Can’t always stop it, but maybe you can ‘own’ that name more than others.

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Actually when you own a registered trademark (words) for something, you do in fact own the name for whatever is specified by the trademark.
    Hence you cannot call yourself McDonalds and start selling Hamburgers!
    This includes online!
    All the best

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.