Home – New Forums Selling online Another Ebay store questions, sort of

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anthony_83
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hey guys, Im in the middle of starting up a mobile car air conditioning and vehicle service business. I have a Registered business name and ABN. I also have started importing a few vehicle accessories from china and would like to sell these through ebay store. My question is, can the store be named anything I like? Or is it wise to stick with my company name ( slightly unrelated name ) for tax purposes.

Obviously I will use my current ABN but not sure whether I can add an ebay store to my list of trading/business names etc

ANy help in this area would be greatly appreciated

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Anthony

Ok, you appear to be asking a few things.. Although i am no expert, i will try to answer a few and hopefully the ‘experts’ will chip in as well.

Re ebay, remember you will create a user name as well.. this is the ebay owner of the store and then you will name your store what ever you wish.. I personally would suggest that if it compliments your business that you name it the same as your main business.. why wouldnt you want to build ‘brand recognition’ via any channel possible? unless you purposely wish to keep them separate in case you use ebay to ‘dump’ items that you dont want your core business customers to know about ;)

On this, there is no legal ramifications (unless you are infringing on trade marks – maybe) to force you into a specific store or user name on ebay… YOU create the name…

This name has NOTHING to do with TAX related issues that i am aware of, so please do not confuse the registered ebay name/store name with your business operations.. it is merely an extension of your business and it is then how you report it through the ATO that matters…

And re ‘not sure whether i can add an eaby store to my list of trading/business name etc’.. i am not sure what you mean by this,,, as it ultimately has nothing to do with your business name – it is not a registered name via ASIC and has no direct correlation…

On closing,, if it suits you register your store name similar to your business name to grow your branding in the market place and do not confuse this store name with anything legally binding to your business name. Although i would suggest you report it come tax time as a revenue stream (similar to a web site)..

I may be unclear, but hope it helped a little ?

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Anthony_83
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Yes thankyou very much, sorry I was in a little bit of a hurry when I send that message so may be a little hard to understand.

What you said makes perfect sense to me though.

Basically I have started a mobile car air conditioning business which I have registered the business name with ASIC and applied for my ABN as sole trader etc.

I have also started importing a small amount of vehicle accessories from china as well. Theyre not directly related to my car air conditioning business. I currently have a username on ebay and intended to open a store to sell these imported products. I just wasnt sure if I had to include an ABN when I opened a store.

What amount would I have to sell before it is considered a business and not just a hobby?

macintosh_addict
    • Total posts: 37
    Up
    Anthony_83, post: 154797 wrote:
    Yes thankyou very much, sorry I was in a little bit of a hurry when I send that message so may be a little hard to understand.

What you said makes perfect sense to me though.

Basically I have started a mobile car air conditioning business which I have registered the business name with ASIC and applied for my ABN as sole trader etc.

I have also started importing a small amount of vehicle accessories from china as well. Theyre not directly related to my car air conditioning business. I currently have a username on ebay and intended to open a store to sell these imported products. I just wasnt sure if I had to include an ABN when I opened a store.

What amount would I have to sell before it is considered a business and not just a hobby?

As far as I know, displaying ABN is not compulsory on an eBay store. However doing so would make your business look more professional and reliable.

ATO has some specific definitions about “hobby” and “business”. Judging from your description, your practice should be categorised as a business.

Cheers!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.