Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Another Lurker joining

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mel
    • Total posts: 23
    Up
    ::

Hey there,

I have been checking out this site for over a year and figure I should join in.

I was working for a Marine Wholesale company over 2 years ago and suggested to my parents we purchase it. At the time I was the only person working there and could see potential in the company. Over 2 years on both my parents now work at DeckHardware full time which is a little crazy at times. Working with family can be interesting. We are lucky though as all of us have worked in the Marine/Sailing industry for a long time.

Needless to say most of the money we make at the moment goes back into growing the company. You need money to grow after all. So I am managing the balancing act of working elsewhere for some spending money when I can.

I have found that in particular the info on marketing has been fantastic on here. It is so helpful. Especially as my Dad is basically our Sales person and Mum is accounts and helps out with the marketing. All fun…

Can’t wait to join in on some discussions here.

Cheers,
    Mel

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Hi Mel,

Welcome to the forums! And congrats on making the leap from lurker to joiner, I know it’s not always easy to come out of the wings so good on you for stepping up on stage.

Interesting to hear you work with your folks, a few of our newer members have talked about working with their families.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

Sam

bbanne
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Hi and welcome. It sounds as though you knew what you were doing with your business. What a great story. Glad to have you come out to play!

Mel
    Up

Thanks,

Working with family can certainly be interesting. I was lucky that my mother and I had worked in the same building previously so knew that we would be ok. It has been interesting though since my father came onboard. I can certainly say to anyone considering it think carefully! You can never anticipate how everyone is going to behave in a little warehouse all day. Let alone how things are going to work when who is boss changes things. I know my father has found it difficult to listen to me at times. I would even suggest talking to people to help work through this sort of thing. Talk to family and friends and perhaps even a professional before jumping.

It is certainly interesting as at this time the company can not fully support the three of us but needs the extra effort to help us grow. It seems worth it though as even though a few areas are struggling at the moment we seem to be doing ok.

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

Hi Mel

Even though you are a wholesaler there is no reason not to have an optin spot for a newsletter on your site… your retailers will love you if you send customers to them … and you need some more work on your keywords (SEO) when you have time

Mel
    Up
    warrenc, post: 7101 wrote:
    Hi Mel

Even though you are a wholesaler there is no reason not to have an optin spot for a newsletter on your site… your retailers will love you if you send customers to them … and you need some more work on your keywords (SEO) when you have time

Thanks! We have the option when people ask for catalogues but nowhere else. It is always difficult as many people push to try and buy direct.

Yeah I know we have done next to nothing on SEO… Very bad of us really. Ah if we only had a few more hours in the day. Say 20?

Lucki
    • Total posts: 147
    Up

Hi Mel,

Welcome aboard.

You seem to have a passion for what you do which is great.

There are heaps of family businesses which are a thriving success. You sound like you and your family get on great, so that’s a bonus already there.

Looking forward to chatting with you.

Cheers

Lucki

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.