Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Another new member

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bensdad
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hi my name is chris I’m 43 and been in Australia 6 months. Previously I owned a photo 2 canvas business alongside my normal day job to help income. I’m looking to start up over here and basically do the same.

Any info on starting a business correctly over here would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Wineberg
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Flying solo. I am also relatively new to the site, but it is a great way to bounce some different ideas off like minded people.

I love alot of the photo to canvas work, they look really good. Where abouts are you based? Will you be mainly web based, or have a shop?

Really intersting work, which I think more poeple are starting to look at for their pictures now. I know we have a few canvas items that were converted from photographs in our house.

Thanks

Bensdad
    Up

Based in Fremantle if all goes well initially from home but then an industrial or retail unit eventually. Still looking at feasibility stages at the moment import of materials etc aiqs requirements etc.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Chris, and welcome to both Australia and Flying Solo.

This thread contains lots of helpful links and may be a good starting point for you.

After that, please feel free to post any specific questions you have in the relevant parts of the forum, and I’m sure there’ll be people around to give you some ideas.

All the best,
    Jayne

erinna
    Participant
    • Total posts: 135
    Up

Hi Chris and welcome! :)

Where abouts were you located previously?

There are lots of wedding and portrait photographers in Perth (I know cos i used to be one!), so if you’re looking at that industry you have a good base for potential clients. Are you looking at doing B2B or direct to public only, or both?

I guess with anything, you will have to attract and keep clients when you’re up against places like Officeworks, BigW and also BrilliantPrints (where my previous studio got all their orders from). Personally, I prefer having someone local who I can pick up from, hence why working with local photographers might be a good idea.

Best of luck! :)

Bensdad
    Up

Thanks for the welcome greatly appreciated. Previously I was in the uk north Wales and predominantly started supplying local photographers, however the demand meant we opened an actual studio hired a photographer and did photos to canvas direct to end consumer.

Whilst not as much profit with b2b I prefer this angle as most people are on the same wavelength and you also get to create stunning pieces of art from the fantastic photos we used to receive.

Still looking at the feasibility of it at the moment and seeing if we can compete with the larger guys.

inxpress111
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

Welcome to FS and good luck with it all – there are plenty of sites available on line to assist you – try the ATO and http://www.business.gov.au/.

Hope all goes well and you let us know in a few months that you have given up your day job!!!

vangoff
    Up

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum!

My company prints directly to canvas mainly for B2B customers. We have never marketed to the consumer.

My thoughts on ‘photos to canvas’ as a product is that it is a mature market with many bigger big name high street competitors. Therefore points of difference (archival quality of ink, thread count of canvas, durability of stretcher frame, quick turnaround, etc) will be important to drive sales and margins.

Be interested to hear how you go.

Good luck.

Cheers!

Tony

Bensdad
    Up

Thanks Tony

Where are you based? I totally agree I’ve seen some real rubbish , thin stretcher bars , cheap canvas and inks etc, the UK was great at first then got flooded by all of the above.

I think b2b is a much better market as there’s more understanding of quality etc, IMO selling to retail was just about price a lot of people never seemed interested that my frames were deep kiln dried etc and whilst the margins were generally better as I said before I much preferred dealing b2b.

If we’re not going to be in direct competition it would be good to share knowledge if you want to.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.