Home – New Forums Other discussions Another printing question (am I asking too much?)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up
    ::

I’ve used the same printer for quite some time and now have quite a lot of printing that I need done. In the past, I’ve always been very happy (apart from the fact that they don’t supply a phone number, only email).

So now I need some cards printed, that will need to be written on.

I sent an email asking if the product I had chosen was suitable and was told “for legal reasons” they won’t say yes or no, and referred me to a much more expensive product.

I currently have an order with them, so asked if they could send a sample of both, so I can see how the ink sits on the paper, to which they’ve refused (again referring to their legal ‘obligations’).

I am seriously thinking of sending all this print work to someone else, as surely a sample isn’t too much to ask? After all, once I’ve seen the outcome, it’s up to me to be satisfied with what I order.

WDYT?

Heather Cox
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Proofs are quite common from the printers we use, and I don’t understand the legal obligations part either.

You could try asking for samples of other business cards they’ve printed, or if that’s a confidntiallity problem, just a piece of the card they’re planning to print on.

My thought would be to use suppliers with a ‘can-do’ attitude. There are plenty of printers around who would be more than happy to help you get the best possible result.

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

You may find a number of bulk run printers wont provide physical proofs, as plate setting etc. costs and if you decide not to proceed, they are left with the cost. Some printers will use a digital which mirrors their press process to provide a proof, but as was mentioned before, simply the stock would be enough to tell.
    Can’t really understand the legal obligations bit, but each to their own. Most business cards can be written on with a biro, just don’t expect your mont blanc fountain pen to absorb, unless your business cards are parchment :)

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up

exactly what I asked for (just a sample of the 2 types of card) so I could see how the ink sat. I wasn’t asking them to print my artwork on it – I just asked for a piece of cast-off card.

As Agentmail said, most biro’s would be fine. Well, that’s what silly old me thought anyway???

Time for a new printer methinks

aspadvisor, post: 73768 wrote:
    Proofs are quite common from the printers we use, and I don’t understand the legal obligations part either.

You could try asking for samples of other business cards they’ve printed, or if that’s a confidntiallity problem, just a piece of the card they’re planning to print on.

My thought would be to use suppliers with a ‘can-do’ attitude. There are plenty of printers around who would be more than happy to help you get the best possible result.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

It’s possible that they are outsourcing their printing to another company, and simply don’t have any samples to give you.

If you have the name of the stock, you may be able to request a sample from another printer, or directly from the paper wholesaler.

I wouldn’t expect to have many customers if I made it that hard to do business with me.

VehicleMods
    • Total posts: 124
    Up

A lot of business card printing is ganged up these days and often celloglazed which is a thinner version of laminating. Typically, these cards are printed CMYK 4 colour process even if you only use a couple of spot colours. To get the best looking printing, they use a gloss (or matt) art board which is unsuitable to write on.

You should specify 280-300 gsm white ivory board and you will have no problems writing on it. However if your cards are 4 colour process with photos, they won’t look as nice because the ink bleeds into the more porous paper and will probably cost a lot more as they won’t be ganged up with 20 others. Printers talk about dot gain as the dots of ink become bigger than they really are on the printing plate which muddies the clarity of the photo.

In an offset printing environment, a press proof on the paper stock you specify is not practical. Your print job is probably being printed on a $1.0m or so printing press which costs $200-$300 to get the first sheet of paper off the press!

Printerboy
    • Total posts: 151
    Up
    flower-child, post: 73762 wrote:
    I’ve used the same printer for quite some time and now have quite a lot of printing that I need done. In the past, I’ve always been very happy (apart from the fact that they don’t supply a phone number, only email).

So now I need some cards printed, that will need to be written on.

I sent an email asking if the product I had chosen was suitable and was told “for legal reasons” they won’t say yes or no, and referred me to a much more expensive product.

I currently have an order with them, so asked if they could send a sample of both, so I can see how the ink sits on the paper, to which they’ve refused (again referring to their legal ‘obligations’).

I am seriously thinking of sending all this print work to someone else, as surely a sample isn’t too much to ask? After all, once I’ve seen the outcome, it’s up to me to be satisfied with what I order.

WDYT?

Hey FlowerChild,

If you have any specific questions regarding printing your welcome to contact
    me at [email protected] for a second opinion.

Kind regard
    Ben

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.