Home – New Forums Tech talk Another SEO Thread (WOOT WOOT!)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    NathanB
    Participant
    • Total posts: 775
    Up
    ::

Hi Soloists, in particular you sexy SEO devils ;)

I was hoping you guys could enlighten me in regards to how bounce rates effects your page ranking. I have read as much as I could find online but was hoping I could corroborate my learning with your expertise as I tend to trust what I read here more than anywhere else.

I’ve been running a website for approximately a 3-4 months now and post the lasted update started to rank 2-3 on Google for some key queries, but have recently slipped again, I believe our bounce rate on some of the newer pages we have added to the website may be responsible as it is the only major change I can detect.

rdenton
    • Total posts: 90
    Up
    NathanB, post: 164890 wrote:
    Hi Soloists, in particular you sexy SEO devils ;)

I was hoping you guys could enlighten me in regards to how bounce rates effects your page ranking. I have read as much as I could find online but was hoping I could corroborate my learning with you expertise as I tent to trust what I read here more than anywhere else.

I’ve been running a website for approximately a 3-4 months now and post the lasted update started to rank 2-3 on Google for some key queries, but have recently slipped again, I believe our bounce rate on some of the newer pages we have added to the website may be responsible as it is the only major change I can detect.

Not sure about exact figures, but I’ve found personally that, the lower the global bounce rate on a site, the worse your ranking will fall. I usually aim for 35 – 40% bounce rate

DavidThomas
    • Total posts: 265
    Up

Google are shuffling most search results at the moment. I wouldn’t panic yet, give it a couple months to settle down before changing anything again.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

I actually put this very question to a Google engineer at a conference about a year ago, he said they were struggling with how to weight it as a ranking factor because a rapid return to SERPs can in some cases indicate a good result was found! Mobile devices also complicate the issue as user behaviour is different to desktops.

AJ Kohn wrote a brilliant article a couple of months ago on what he calls the long click, great reading if you’re a sexy SEO devil (yeah baby, oh behave)

Happy Friday everyone.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Nathan,
    For the current (June 13) and definitive answer to your question watch the video referenced in the FS post immediately before this one:

Advanced SEO video with Matt Cutts

Check out the question at the 57 min 40 sec point.

Cutts is saying Google does not use time on site or bounce rates as a ranking signal. He also says why.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.