Home – New Forums Other discussions Answering ‘Unknown Caller’ on the mobile

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up
    ::

For as long as I’ve had mobile phones, I’ve always picked up any type of call, but recently I’ve stopped answering ‘Unknown Caller’ calls. Since starting my business all bar 2 callers have been telemarketers, and those 2 callers were old clients which I have now referred to someone else, as I now longer do that type of work.

The question is… Do you answer your mobile when is shows ‘Unknown Caller’ or ‘Private Number’?

The reason for the question is that for the last 5 days I have been getting an ‘Unknown Caller’ calling my mobile on average ever 2 hours from 8am to about 9pm. The caller has never left a message and only let’s it ring 3 times before hanging up. Now would I be wrong in presuming that if it was a client (Potential or Current) or even a money collector, then they would leave me a message?

Now I’m aware that Optus don’t disclose their Home phone account numbers therefore they all calls as ‘Unknown Number’ but still is my thinking wrong about leaving a message if it is a legit caller?

Brent

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Hi Brent – no I don’t answer them anymore. My family and close friends don’t block their numbers, so I have made sure they are in my phone directory and my mobile.

So many of those calls are from telemarketers originating overseas and going through an 03 or 07 number. I get at least 3 or 4 a day also and it can be very upsetting sometimes as they have called at very inconvenient times – even when I’m making dinner or on a Sunday. So I no longer answer them because they don’t take no for an answer and just keep calling back.

They just hang up when it goes to answer phone.

The next step would be to use an answering service but with an elderly mother needing help used to those numbers to call me, diverting or changing them would not be a good idea at present.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

I knew someone who played a message to every caller that said “if your a telemarketer or trying to sell something please hang up now, if your a customer please stay on the line” then the call would divert to his mobile. The telemarketing code states that if the recipient asks you to hang up you must. It worked for him.

Steve

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

We have a silent home number (costs $2.60 per month) so no telemarketing calls for us there :D We have the few family and friends who ring on our landline linked to specific, appropriate ring tones too, so it’s easy to not get up to answer if we don’t want to talk to them lol.

I never answer a blocked or private number on my mobile. If it’s important they’ll leave a message.

Wendy :)

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hey Brent

Personally, i answer them.. i never know who will call and when and i find that my ability to respond to queries is paramount to the success in securing some contracts (we do a lot of commercial fit outs – the web address in my footer is a retail one)…

Funnily enough, a lot of my corporate sector have blocked calls from the office so i just never know… Mind you, i get a tonne of sales calls.. mobile phone companies (and darn optus as they sell off the mobile number list to ‘franchisees’ within the group)…

Must say, i have become rather diligent in identifying sales calls early (ok so its not that hard) and closing down that chatter very quickly…

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    procnetservices
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

I don’t answer. i also have corporate clients with show as blocked numbers but they are all busy people too and understand that the doesn’t always get answered every time and leave a message. I get back to them pretty quickly!

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I usually answer them, I only use a mobile as do most people I call regularly, what I’ve found is, that if you leave a message or a missed call on someones phone and they (or me) just hit 22 to call back, it shows on the recipients phone as a blocked number … don’t know if this happens on all phones or providers (I’m with Telstra), but it used to happen on my iPhone, and does the same thing on the HTC.

I’ve recently had some dealings with gov. depts, they used blocked numbers as well.

If it’s outside business hours I wouldn’t pick up.

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 150332 wrote:
    I knew someone who played a message to every caller that said “if your a telemarketer or trying to sell something please hang up now, if your a customer please stay on the line”

I had a variation of this on my home phone answering machine… and also asked that they remove my number from their data-base, but I can’t see that ever happening!

At one stage I was getting so many calls from “Microsoft” about my computer that, out of sheer frustration, I considered buying a sports whistle to blow in their ear. Figured that might get the message through.

As far as my mobile/s, I haven’t really had any issues with telemarketer calls (SMS messages about lottery wins are another matter), so I have no problem answering unknown calls. One of my current clients tends to call through a PABX system, so he always comes up “unknown”.

However, if I was getting a couple of calls an hour, I may well refuse to answer them and would consider putting a brief message on my answering service about it.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up
    Couple It, post: 150348 wrote:
    …if it’s important they’ll leave a message.)

This.

You can add your mobile number here: https://www.donotcall.gov.au/ to make it illegal for telemarketers to contact you.

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    bluepenguin, post: 150458 wrote:
    This.

You can add your mobile number here: https://www.donotcall.gov.au/ to make it illegal for telemarketers to contact you.

There are still exclusions to this list and it doesn’t stop those overseas telemarketers who fall outside of Australian jurisdiction… but it’s a start!

LisaK
    • Total posts: 107
    Up

I never answer them, they can be such a distraction.
    If someone wants to speak to me they leave a message, send a text or an email. If it’s a potential client they have access to all those numbers from out website.
    Sometimes my mobile rings as a private number and then 2 seconds later the land-line rings or the other way around I answer it. That’s not a sales call.

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I actually had a great day, as we had our 1st relocated Meet-up in Crows Nest and the ‘Unknown Caller’ calls STOPPED! I didn’t get 1 call all day. The last attempt was at 10:15pm last night.

I’ve decided not to answer ‘Unknown Caller’ calls anymore, as discussed they can just leave a message and call me back. At this stage I run my business via the mobile phone and will in a few months, if everything goes well, with this new project, I’ll upgrade to the Divert to Mobile service from Steve in the next few months.

Brent

Gizmo
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

I answer them.

Here is why.

I found there are many people who like their privacy, so they like to block their caller ID especially on first time calls. I suspect they do this because they do not want there to be put on a database used by the company they are calling.

Also note many people are using voip outgoing services only and as such do not have a number to display.

So then based on this and what I know a sales lead costs… I answer the call.

It is Australian law that telemarketers display their numbers, they must not use a private number. If you are getting this please take note of the time of the call and report it to your telco as soon as you can. It is their responsibility to have it tracked down and reported to ACMA.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

I always answer them if I can, although my mobile has very patchy signal here so I don’t get as many now. We have a silent home number and I’d hate to think someone ignored my phone call simply because it came up as “unknown caller”.

SFITCS
    • Total posts: 25
    Up
    Brent@Ontrax, post: 150322 wrote:
    For as long as I’ve had mobile phones, I’ve always picked up any type of call, but recently I’ve stopped answering ‘Unknown Caller’ calls. Since starting my business all bar 2 callers have been telemarketers, and those 2 callers were old clients which I have now referred to someone else, as I now longer do that type of work.

The question is… Do you answer your mobile when is shows ‘Unknown Caller’ or ‘Private Number’?

The reason for the question is that for the last 5 days I have been getting an ‘Unknown Caller’ calling my mobile on average ever 2 hours from 8am to about 9pm. The caller has never left a message and only let’s it ring 3 times before hanging up. Now would I be wrong in presuming that if it was a client (Potential or Current) or even a money collector, then they would leave me a message?

Now I’m aware that Optus don’t disclose their Home phone account numbers therefore they all calls as ‘Unknown Number’ but still is my thinking wrong about leaving a message if it is a legit caller?

Brent

I’ve been in that situation a lot, and given it quite a bit of thought over the years.

• I have two mobile numbers and no landline (I have Skype).
    • I publish the business mobile and business Skype widely.
    • I’ve had one Skype pest call – which came within hours of mentioning on this forum that I’d never received Skype spam. :) I only allow Skype chats if I’ve accepted the contact, and that’s where most people I talk to get their Skype spam. I never use “Skype me” as a status – always Online, Away, Do not Disturb, or Invisible.
    • I get a fair amount of spam (not ham) on the personal mobile, and average half a dozen calls on the business mobile. Most are not Caller ID blocked.
    • I also get several spam SMSs a week on average. At least one a month is from my service providers trying to convince me I need to pay for a “premium” SMS service that will allow me to stop SMS spam. :(

I answer all calls to the business mobile as if they are important potential clients. I can usually tell fairly quickly if they’re worth listening to.
    If they are sale pitches I don’t want, or scammers, I continue to be polite and return to my work with half an ear open.

• After they get through their speil and want my input I either:-
    • ask them for their home number and ask when they will have dinner, and “I’ll call you back then”
    • explain I have a visitor at the door will they please hold, then switch to hands free and return to working. If after hanging up, they call again I apologise profusely, rinse and repeat

If they ask for me to prove my identity I politely tell them I’m not going to do that (but don’t explain my reasoning) – “please provide me with the name of your company and division and I’ll look up your number and call you straight away”. Then don’t. If they call back I apologise profusely – rinse and repeat.

I’ve never had debt collectors call – but I used to be one :) Ask for their collections license number and their current address and if they’re still on the phone (they have to give you those details), dispute the debt (they then have to provide you with written proof of the debt – but you are under no obligation to provide them with a postal address) and advise then that you will lodge a complaint. If they tell you they operate under their employer license tell them to get the organ grinder to call you. Be polite. If at anytime they argue or try and divert the conversation simply repeat yourself – politely (they really hate that).

I have a special rule for when Microsoft rings me (the Windows virus scammers) – for them I’ll often make the time to chew up their patience and credits while I pretend to be running Windows. I tend to keep accidentally turning off Windows and needing to reboot, and being very full of flu/virus it runs very slow, and I have an awful lot of trouble with browsers and those thingies programs run in (you means those are windows too?). My friends and I compete to see who can get the scammers to yell at us (we record the calls). And yes – the scammers will yell at you, that’s when you should cry and ask for their help with the login again. If it seems like they’re suspicious I’m scamming them I start up an XP VM so they can here the music they love. :)

While none of these techniques stop all spam – they certainly lower the incentive for people to take up those enterprises and reduce their desire to deal with me again, and importantly, they allow my clients, current, past, and future to call me (as well as minimising my stress levels).

All credit for those techniques goes to Readers Digest who taught me that anything unwanted that can legally posted should be boxed up and returned to them with their handy post paid coupon attached.

If I miss a call and I don’t know the number, Google is my friend – if I can’t find it listed I’ll call with 1831 in front of my number and find out who it is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.