Home – New Forums Starting your journey Any advice on choosing what should be the dominant colour(s) for your start up?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    garysvpa
    • Total posts: 61
    Up
    ::

Hi, I am working as a freelance PA for a start-up company that was set up
    on July 1st and they received a customer after 6 days and they need to have a logo and a professional invoice so that they can get paid properly. The start up is not fully sure on what they are looking for in a logo as they wasn’t planning on getting a logo designed for another 1-2 months.

In short, does anyone have any good advice or experience in choosing what should be the dominant colour(s) for their start up? (The start-up has spent a few hours thinking about it and has come up with 2 alternatives: Red, Black & White or Brown & Yellow. But the company is worried that they don’t have any robust reasoning or logic to back up these suggestions).

I am hoping somebody else on this forum may have been through a similar experience and can offer some advice.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

My own choices were wife driven. BUT if I were to do it again, I’d look into colour theory or better yet, ask a designer.

If you don’t want to pay for a designer then there are websites that exist purely to let you select colours according to the various ‘rules’ of colour theory e.g.
    http://colorschemedesigner.com/csd-3.5/

Colour theory :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_theory

or just look at sites you like and steal their colours e.g.
    http://tympanus.net/codrops/2011/12/08/25-examples-of-perfect-color-combinations-in-web-design/

But talking to a designer is probably your best bet. If you’re going to get a designer to do your logo, stationary or a website, then talk to them.

crust
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    garysvpa, post: 194927 wrote:
    Hi, I am working as a freelance PA for a start-up company that was set up
    on July 1st and they received a customer after 6 days and they need to have a logo and a professional invoice so that they can get paid properly. The start up is not fully sure on what they are looking for in a logo as they wasn’t planning on getting a logo designed for another 1-2 months.

In short, does anyone have any good advice or experience in choosing what should be the dominant colour(s) for their start up? (The start-up has spent a few hours thinking about it and has come up with 2 alternatives: Red, Black & White or Brown & Yellow. But the company is worried that they don’t have any robust reasoning or logic to back up these suggestions).

I am hoping somebody else on this forum may have been through a similar experience and can offer some advice.

Research shows that;

Lavender/Purple = Sells well, so are they in the selling business? If so go for it
    Green = Trusted – Do they need to portray that they are trustworthy?
    Blue = Competent – Do they need to show that they can get the job done?

I’d steer away from brown.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

Choosing colours can be a complex process, but above all else, I’d suggest that you focus on making it memorable (or blue, that’s generally pretty safe).

Think about how your customers will perceive it. For example, if you have a lot of Chinese customers, red would be a great colour to use as in their culture it symbolises happiness, beauty, success and good fortune, but if you are in the finance industry, red would be the last colour you’d want to use at is symbolises debt and deficit.

Also, look at your competitors and think about how you can use colour to stand out from them.

Looking into colour theory can be very frustrating as the information available is very inconsistent, changes with demographics, and people tend to rewrite the rules to suit themselves.

Having said ALL that. My other piece of advice is to try not to over-think it…

HoundStudio
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    crust, post: 194942 wrote:
    Research shows that;

Lavender/Purple = Sells well, so are they in the selling business? If so go for it
    Green = Trusted – Do they need to portray that they are trustworthy?
    Blue = Competent – Do they need to show that they can get the job done?

I’d steer away from brown.

Please, please, PLEASE stay away from brown!

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    HoundStudio, post: 195291 wrote:
    Please, please, PLEASE stay away from brown!

uldbe interested in the justification behind this, why ???

HoundStudio
    Up
    bb1, post: 195319 wrote:
    uldbe interested in the justification behind this, why ???

Sure, brown is simply dull. Greys and blacks work better where browns fail because they work to make your designs cleaner and compliment other colour’s better.

BuddyBoy
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

My wife and i designed our company logo and the colours were chosen based on how well our packaging would stand out on the shelf against the competition.
    We are not big fans of the orange but it really pops.
    A logo should describe your business so its a good idea to chat with a graphic designer to get a good grasp on what colours describe the business.
    We had our logo looked over by a graphic designer and he helped pick better colours and we finished very happy with the results.
    He also gave us a black version of our logo to use with faxes and invoices because most people print in black only.

bluepenguin
    Up
    HoundStudio, post: 195322 wrote:
    Sure, brown is simply dull. Greys and blacks work better where browns fail because they work to make your designs cleaner and compliment other colour’s better.

Many coffee related brands have brown logos. There is a place for everything.

HoundStudio
    Up
    bluepenguin, post: 195338 wrote:

Then those coffee related brands won’t particularly stand out if they all share brown in common. There’s a place for everything but you shouldn’t always make the obvious choice when it comes to your branding.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Oh Boy

Another great post in FS.. love these types of insights…

Although i do not like brown personally, i have come across some great brown logo concepts… although i also note a few have blended brown and gold.. Such as:
    – Hawthorn Logo
    – UPS
    – Gloria Jeans

Again, as an observation most mix gold or yellow with it.. And funny enough lots more in brown tend to use the brown as a SOLID block colour in background with White Fonts to pop…

Love looking at this stuff.

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    bluepenguin
    Up
    HoundStudio, post: 195341 wrote:
    Then those coffee related brands won’t particularly stand out if they all share brown in common. There’s a place for everything but you shouldn’t always make the obvious choice when it comes to your branding.

It all comes down to demographics and target audience. You’d probably find that your average ‘coffee snob’ doesn’t like people messing with recipes, whether it be the way their coffee beans are roasted, or what’s printed on the side of their macchiato. They don’t want flash and innovation, they want whatever the kids in Rome are doing.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    bluepenguin, post: 195338 wrote:

And some web developers have a lot of brown on their home page. I agree there should not be a blanket, avoid brown, each colour suits different scenarios.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.