Home – New Forums Tech talk Any advice on two different websites co-existing together under one roof: managing this conundrum

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    happyez
    • Total posts: 49
    Up
    ::

Hi all

I am sure others have had similar stories.

For the last year, I have built up an onsite massage service for healthworkers (nurses, doctors, social workers etc) that fits their, I guess, personality (caring, non-business, helping) and their more conservative leadership (hospital executives are not Web 3.0). That site is for workers in high-stress/risk workplaces (http://massageforhealthprofessionals.com.au – MFHPA)

I am also developing a medium to low-stress/risk workplace massage service called http://rebootr.io (hopefully by the time you read this, we have something up). This is for EVERYONE else. The colours will be different, and will attract tech companies, co-working spaces, investment firms, legal firms etc.

I have an adviser (who is great so far) who said “look, scrap MFHPA and have it all under Rebootr”. Which makes sense: don’t disperse your work, don’t double up the webpages, have one focus and have health professionals as a subset.

But Rebootr is very 2018, and MFHPA is conservative.

WHAT COULD BE MY CHOICES?
    a) I keep both domains/websites separate (double the work), but the images and styles are very clear, and I can contain the health workers in their own web world – through blogs etc.

b) Keep both domains, but when someone clicks on the MFHPA domain, they are re-routed to Rebootr, and arrive at “mfhpa.rebootr.io” (no long name anymore). So I can transfer all of the styles over to that sub-domain (no conflict with Rebootr). So for all intents/purposes, they are two worlds under the one roof and I get the benefit of routing all traffic to the one domain. Possibly, I can’t do this, but if its a sub-domain, I have that as an autonomous site that can be designed independently of the main site. In some people’s eyes, sub-domains are not the best way to go, but in my case, maybe. Also, as I target other specific industries that have their own issues outside of a normal white-collar worker, I can create sub-domains for them too, but all under “rebootr.io”

c) Scrap MFHPA and have health workers/first responders under Rebootr. This keeps all incoming traffic in one place, I don’t have to build up two websites, pay twice for the same service (e.g. Zendesk) and I can have one! business card. But I cant help imagining a 65 year old hosptial executive feeling the cultural foreigness of “rebootr.io”. What even is .io? It’s not .com ….

WHAT DO I RECKON?
    I am leaning heavily towards b), because the MFHPA is nearly perfect for that market, and all the work we put in would be scrapped. So that is sad. Of course, if it has to happen, then we move with it, but even if I chose c), I would still have to either export the page layouts and text over, or edit the MFHPA part, so in the end, its the same work.

Thanks for reading (I do go on a bit), and I would love to know which of these options you guys would choose if you were in my shoes. There is possibly a d) and e), but I don’t know them yet. If you do, please elucidate!

Cheers all
    Eric

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

[USER=44863]@happyez[/USER] – there are some Shoppify add-ons that will do what you want.

I think the key is that you give the consumer of your services a seemless buying experience.

How you achieve that is not key.

That you achieve that is key.

Cheers.

happyez
    Up

Thanks Paul

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

I see this all the time, especially in the trade space.

“We have 75 domain names and 26 websites”

95% of people cant run one site properly let alone two or more.

I’ll give you the same advice I give most people ….

Build one site and do it properly.

happyez
    Up

Thanks John, taken on board.

Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    • Total posts: 423
    Up

Agree with John, you’re over complicating it with sub domains, redirects and all that stuff.

There is no reason that one site can’t rank for perform for all areas of your business. If you decide to do SEO in the future then which site do you work on? Or worse it becomes an expense for both sites?

I recently had a client that had two websites and they wanted to do an Adwords campaign. They are like “visitor a needs to go through to website a and then visitor b needs to go through to website b but then a small portion of a needs to go through to b and b needs to go through to a” ………….and it all got very confusing and complicated. Not to mention it was alot of double handling by setting up tracking, remarketing and other technical areas for two sites.

Since then they’ve now gone back to one website and it’s much simpler to work on.

Use just one website but if you get some help with your designs so you can make the design of one page more appealing to a specific audience than another.

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

Some thougths:

1) A brandable (and easy to remember) name/domain far better some some long generic domain name. Makes zero impact on SEO nowadays, contact is king, including page names under a top domain name (eg. domain.com/massage-for-health-professionals)

2) Your business is massage, with two key markets:
    – Health professionals
    – General consumers

It’s very easy to simply offer that choice/call to action on your homepage, and with any online marketing target these two markets seperately and send them to different landing pages.

Eg: domain.com/massage-for-health-professionals

And just a quick note on your current health professionals site to take under consideration: It’s REALLY busy with way too many elements on the page, and too many main menu options. Simplify and you may get better results.

(PS. Niether of your sites uses an SSL certificate, ALL sites need to nowadays)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.