Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Any advice on what to say about myself in a guest blog post?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up
    ::

I’ve been asked to write as a guest poster/interviewee on a blog which is great. Usually they give me a topic to write about but in this particular instance the host has mentioned: I’d say make it about you and your services and we’ll attach some of your work and links so people can reach you.

She’s then going to slice it up so it sort of reads as a ‘designer heading over for a chat to host’s house and having a good chat over a cuppa’.

I like this format but have no idea what to say about myself… I can do a short blurb sure but does anyone have any advice, or strategies, about how to talk about your business and yourself in a way that would best appeal to readers? I.e.: I imagine the first thing is essentially don’t really make it about me.

But as to where to start I’m still a bit stumped…. help?

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Scarlett,

This sounds like a great opportunity for you :)

For what it’s worth, my suggestion is that you start out by determining who the readers of that particular blog are likely to be, and how you can help them.

Then write a list of pertinent questions that you can imagine the host asking you if you DID go to her house for a cuppa, and write the answers accordingly.

I hope that helps, and will be interested to read suggestions from others too.
    Jayne

Lindz
    • Total posts: 254
    Up

Hello Scarlett,

The Flying Solo-Tim Reid-Valerie Khoo podcast: “8 Stories You Must Tell To Build An Epic Business” (16 December 2012) might be helpful for you.

(I would put in a link if only I knew how!):o

All best,

Lindsay

JustJames
    • Total posts: 104
    Up

Your instinct to not acshly make it about you is a good one, Scarlett.

I went to a concert a few week’s ago in Sydney. The support act was competent, but did not achieve any rapport with the audience. The headline act though, had the audience eating out of the palm of his hand. The audience lapped up every word. And it wasn’t hard to see why. The support act spoke about how he recorded this song in such-and-such a year, this song was on his third album and so on.

The headline act talked about how much he appreciated people coming out to watch live music instead of taking the easy option and watching TV, told his bandmates how much fun he could see people having and generally spoke about the audience as much as possible.

It occurred to me that there is a great lesson there for sales and marketing: if we keep conversations – however defined – as much as possible about our target market and as little as possible about our selves (or our businesses), we’ll stay on the right track.

James

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    Lindz, post: 158573 wrote:
    Hello Scarlett,

The Flying Solo-Tim Reid-Valerie Khoo podcast: “8 Stories You Must Tell To Build An Epic Business” (16 December 2012) might be helpful for you.

(I would put in a link if only I knew how!):o

All best,

Lindsay

Great idea Lindsay! :)

Scarlett, here’s the link: Podcast: The eight stories you must tell to build an epic business.

Cheers,
    Jayne

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

It’s very easy to talk about yourself just do case studies on your own business that demonstrate your message. I do it all the time. Here’s a guest post where I wrote about a traffic case study and how I used Informly to understand my traffic data to work out what was the most effective method.

This makes for great content too. My best content talks about my own business, people are really interested in the specifics of what others are doing and what results they are getting.

Hope that helps.

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the advice :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.