Home – New Forums Money matters Any Law for Prices in Australia?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Vilson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 184
    Up
    ::

Hello Friends,

I just wants to Know, is there any law in Australia for Prices?

Or i can set any Prices Myself? 100 times more than my Buying Price?

Thanks.

Create Online Test or Quiz on ScoreBell
    PaulyT
    • Total posts: 56
    Up

Great post! There is no law in Australia that determines what mark up you have, of course the trick is to sell the items!

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

You can set your prices to whatever you want, but in the end the market will determine the value of your goods or services.

Wendy :)

Gavin_S
    • Total posts: 80
    Up

Hi Guys,
    One thing I would add to this is to be careful how you set your prices if they differ between countries – especially if they are visible.
    Recently I was dealing with PayPal’s merchant services and I got a nasty surprise when I realised that the pricing I was looking at was from the US site – and then found out that their Australian site charges 3x the price for the exact same service!
    Another example is a website I was viewing last night that sells the same product for 3 different prices (depending on where in the world you are). There is no explanation for the price difference as shipping is charged separately – so in my view they “ripping off” Australian customers by charging almost 20% more than US customers pay…. especially when the company is based here in Australia!
    I see nothing wrong with pricing things to suit the market. And different markets sometimes do need different pricing – but it’s never a good idea to let people easily see that other customers are paying less, especially when an alternative supplier is just a Google search away.
    Good luck!

Gavin

Cjay
    • Total posts: 183
    Up
    Gavin_S, post: 123284 wrote:
    Hi Guys,
    One thing I would add to this is to be careful how you set your prices if they differ between countries – especially if they are visible.
    Recently I was dealing with PayPal’s merchant services and I got a nasty surprise when I realised that the pricing I was looking at was from the US site – and then found out that their Australian site charges 3x the price for the exact same service!
    Another example is a website I was viewing last night that sells the same product for 3 different prices (depending on where in the world you are). There is no explanation for the price difference as shipping is charged separately – so in my view they “ripping off” Australian customers by charging almost 20% more than US customers pay…. especially when the company is based here in Australia!
    I see nothing wrong with pricing things to suit the market. And different markets sometimes do need different pricing – but it’s never a good idea to let people easily see that other customers are paying less, especially when an alternative supplier is just a Google search away.
    Good luck!

Gavin

The real nasty trick is when Australian companies get exclusive distribution rights to products, then hold a monopoly on supply for the country. This is getting worse with some companies suing international suppliers if they do not provide sufficient means to stop Australian consumers from buying off international sites, or realign their prices to make price + postage not worth the hassle.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

Gavin, I’ve been battling that with Adobe these past two weeks. I want to buy the download upgrade of software I use. They want your name and address, fair enough, they usually do. But because I’m in Australia it suddenly costs over $140 more to purchase it and there’s no shipping involved. It’s just a download. In fact, I went back to their site today and the price has gone up another $40 for Australian buyers. I don’t get that at all. You used to be able to buy digital downloads at the same price, no matter what country you were in. So now I’m trying to find out where I can buy it here in Australia at a reasonable price but it’s only in boxes, not downloads, and of course at the Australian price, which is considerably dearer.

Cjay
    Up
    kathiemt, post: 123339 wrote:
    Gavin, I’ve been battling that with Adobe these past two weeks. I want to buy the download upgrade of software I use. They want your name and address, fair enough, they usually do. But because I’m in Australia it suddenly costs over $140 more to purchase it and there’s no shipping involved. It’s just a download. In fact, I went back to their site today and the price has gone up another $40 for Australian buyers. I don’t get that at all. You used to be able to buy digital downloads at the same price, no matter what country you were in. So now I’m trying to find out where I can buy it here in Australia at a reasonable price but it’s only in boxes, not downloads, and of course at the Australian price, which is considerably dearer.

Had the same issue. Was on the US website and thought ‘seems reasonable enough’, then realised wasn’t in Australian prices and I balked at the difference!

I’d suggest Nitro Pro. Significantly cheaper, for the most part does all the same things for a fraction of the cost.

kathiemt
    Up
    Cjay, post: 123342 wrote:
    Had the same issue. Was on the US website and thought ‘seems reasonable enough’, then realised wasn’t in Australian prices and I balked at the difference!

I’d suggest Nitro Pro. Significantly cheaper, for the most part does all the same things for a fraction of the cost.

It was Dreamweaver :(

Cjay
    Up
    kathiemt, post: 123344 wrote:
    It was Dreamweaver :(

Ouch. :( The price of living in Australia, some things we just have to bear then..

Gavin_S
    • Total posts: 80
    Up

Hi Kathie,
    Have you tried purchasing it from a US based retailer? Sometimes buying it in a box and having it shipped over is a better option. Or ebay.com might be an easy way to pick it up from someone in the US even cheaper. I have friends in the US and once or twice a year I end up buying something that has to be shipped to them so they can then send it to me as I can’t order it direct. It still works out cheaper that way than ordering it here in Australia.
    It’s an interesting topic, I was in India last year and while there I went into a computer store thinking I might pick up a bargain on some Apple products to bring home – It surprised me to learn that Apple maintains their pricing for all countries. It costs the same to buy a Macbook in Delhi as it does in Melbourne.
    Cheers,

Gavin

kathiemt
    Up
    Gavin_S, post: 123376 wrote:
    Hi Kathie,
    Have you tried purchasing it from a US based retailer? Sometimes buying it in a box and having it shipped over is a better option. Or ebay.com might be an easy way to pick it up from someone in the US even cheaper. I have friends in the US and once or twice a year I end up buying something that has to be shipped to them so they can then send it to me as I can’t order it direct. It still works out cheaper that way than ordering it here in Australia.
    It’s an interesting topic, I was in India last year and while there I went into a computer store thinking I might pick up a bargain on some Apple products to bring home – It surprised me to learn that Apple maintains their pricing for all countries. It costs the same to buy a Macbook in Delhi as it does in Melbourne.
    Cheers,

Gavin

Silly me, I hadn’t even thought of that. I have quite a few friends in the US or I could check out eBay. I was frustrated not being able to buy it direct from Adobe.com, especially since they seem so prominent online. I was just shocked at the jump in price because of my location.

Cjay
    Up

Or perhaps use something like shipito.com to get an address, then use the download link (might have to use a US proxy if they IP trace) and you might be sweet…

kathiemt
    Up

They’ve got my name and email already and I don’t want to be doing anything illegal. I was just rather startled by the hike in price when I used to be able to buy downloads from them at the same price. I have chatted with one of their ‘online’ staff and he said that’s how their marketing is done these days. I wonder how long it will be for other businesses to follow suit.

I guess your original question here may well have other parts to it then.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.