Home – New Forums Tech talk Any Microsoft Word gurus? Please help!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    ::

Has anyone got any ideas how I can print comments/balloons (deletions/formatting, etc.) in a Word doc? Google and Microsoft don’t seem to be much help.

When I’m in print preview all the balloons show to the right of the document, but when I print, they disappear from the side and are integrated into the document copy. This means deletions show as strikethroughs and I can no longer read the comments.

My settings are:

• Track changes: on
    • Show final markup: selected
    • Balloon print settings: force landscape (have also tried ‘auto’ and ‘preserve’ with no difference)
    • Print hidden text: selected (this has made no difference)
    • Print background colours & images: selected (this has made no difference)
    • Print settings: print markup – selected (this has made no difference)

It doesn’t matter if I try to print to paper, my PDF printer, or even use the Word ‘save as PDF’ option… the balloons disappear from the side.

If it wasn’t such a lengthy document I’d use screen-shots, but it’s not really practical.

Surely it can’t be that hard..?!!

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

Hi Copy Chick,

I’m not sure which version of Word you’re using but assuming that you are on 2007, 2010 or 2013, try the following.

1. Select the Review tab.
    2. Click on ‘Show Comments’.
    3. Now try to print your document normally. Of course you may want to print to PDF so that you can shrink to fit A4 when you print the page on a normal printer.

I just did it using word 2010 and 2013 and it worked for me, example of attached.

Hope this helps.
    Brent

SandraMac
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

Hi There,

Go to Review tab – then track changes. Select change tracking options. Then at the bottom choose force landscape under paper orientation in printing.

Just checked and it worked for me. Good luck.

Sandy.

The Copy Chick
    Up
    Brent@Ontrax, post: 169726 wrote:
    Hi Copy Chick,

I’m not sure which version of Word you’re using but assuming that you are on 2007, 2010 or 2013, try the following.

1. Select the Review tab.
    2. Click on ‘Show Comments’.
    3. Now try to print your document normally. Of course you may want to print to PDF so that you can shrink to fit A4 when you print the page on a normal printer.

I just did it using word 2010 and 2013 and it worked for me, example of attached.

Hope this helps.
    Brent

I knew I’d forget something! I’m using 2010 and ‘show comments’ (under the Show Markup tab) is selected. Sadly, still no joy.

But thank you so much for you very quick response and example (which shows it CAN be done!).

Not sure if it’s a MS bug, or some stupid setting buried deep within that’s the problem.

The Copy Chick
    Up
    SandraMac, post: 169729 wrote:
    Hi There,

Go to Review tab – then track changes. Select change tracking options. Then at the bottom choose force landscape under paper orientation in printing.

Just checked and it worked for me. Good luck.

Sandy.

Thanks Sandy, tried that already (along with ‘auto’) but unfortunately it hasn’t helped.

I think my computer hates me… 😮

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

To print a list of changes made to a document

Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Print.

In the Print what box, click List of markup.

Steve

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

As Steve said, I’ve attached a screen shot of the setting that needs to be turned on, sorry I forgot to mention that as it is usually turned on by Default. It’s the ticked option at the end.

Brent

The Copy Chick
    Up

@Steve & Brent – afraid to say I had that selected already and still no go.

This may go down as a mystery to rival the Bermuda Triangle!! ;)

The Copy Chick
    Up

A big thank you to Brent who did a little further investigation on my behalf last night and found a solution that seems to have fixed this bug… or circumvented it, at least.

Turns out it was as simple as opening the document from Word, not Windows Explorer (so all my settings were correct – I just wasn’t opening it ‘properly’ *rolls eyes*).

Thanks again Brent!! :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.