Home – New Forums Starting your journey Any recommendations for Hosted Shopping Carts?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Anon
    • Total posts: 96
    Up
    ::

So there has been a bit of a discussion on Open Source Carts but how about Host Shopping Carts. We were originally going to start a new store up using an open source cart but have now decided to use a hosted cart instead to get it up straight away. It would be great if anyone has any feedback on best choices. I did do a search but most threads were from a couple of years ago so would be quite outdated.

What’s important to us would be:

Customisable
    – We don’t want to be set in stone with any of the pages, including shopping cart.

Great SEO
    – I read that non-Australian carts have a negative effect on Australian search en engines, is this true?

Customisable shipping offers
    – We will likely offer free – We will likely offer free Aus regular post, Aus express post surcharge, International surcharge. So need to be able to have options.

0% Transaction Fee
    – Takes out Shopify

Compatible in Australia
    – Eparcel Integration – Easy import into the Australia Post EParcel system to print off shipping labels
    – Able to show GST
    – Works with major Aus CC Processing Gateways

Basic Features
    – Gift cards
    – Mobile Version Included
    – Ratings & Reviews

Any recommendation or feedback would be awesome. We have currently been looking at Volusion, BigCommerce, EziMerchant, Shopify (transaction fee) at up to $100/month.

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up

I’ve been researching a lot as we move over to our new platform (Magento) and bigcommerce has had a lot of good press. Also Shopify don’t charge if you’re on the unlimited plan, but I guess it depends on how much you want to spend.

Anon
    Up
    flower-child, post: 129808 wrote:
    I’ve been researching a lot as we move over to our new platform (Magento) and bigcommerce has had a lot of good press. Also Shopify don’t charge if you’re on the unlimited plan, but I guess it depends on how much you want to spend.

We were able to convince Shopify to wave the transaction fee if we were to use them on any of their accounts.

Have you decided to move to Magento Go?

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up
    Anon, post: 130129 wrote:
    We were able to convince Shopify to wave the transaction fee if we were to use them on any of their accounts.

Have you decided to move to Magento Go?

No, Magento community. We have our own server in Brisbane, so don’t need a hosted service.

simonw
    • Total posts: 60
    Up

I am a BIG fan of BigCommerce! The best part is its an Aussie company. There is a lot of money being pumped into that company, so I like knowing they are always upgrading and making things better for the store owner.

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

Big Commerce and Shopify seem to be the leading providers. Big Commerce I think has more generous features based on what you pay but I believe shopify is easier to get up and running.

I can’t imagine SEO would be a factor if it’s still running on your domain and your domain is a .com.au

arty101
    • Total posts: 37
    Up
    websitedesigner, post: 130280 wrote:
    Big Commerce and Shopify seem to be the leading providers. Big Commerce I think has more generous features based on what you pay but I believe shopify is easier to get up and running.

I can’t imagine SEO would be a factor if it’s still running on your domain and your domain is a .com.au

There are some good free shopping carts like prestashop, opencart, zencart and magento.
    If you don’t have enough products and and need a shopping cart that you can manage yourself then go for either opencart or prestashop. If you have lots of products(1000+) then Magento would suit.
    In magento, you can do anything..lots of addons/pluggins etc..

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    Anon, post: 129806 wrote:
    – I read that non-Australian carts have a negative effect on Australian search en engines, is this true?

No. Provided you notify google of your geographical location using webmaster tools.

Steve

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

I’ve looked at Big Commerce and Shopify, and I must say despite the higher prices of Shopify, it still is much better looking. I was also looking at the custom template solutions for Big Commerce and they CAN get VERY expensive.

I’ve also had good/bad experience with Magneto. It can get very fiddly and hard to find good developers to maintain. Also if you install it incorrectly or install it using the easy way (changing all permissions) it can be very prone to attacks as it’s not safe to be leaving your folders open to the world. But if you have to budget for the developers and to do everything properly (this is critical) it’s great I mean some of the biggest retailers in Australia are using Magento so it must say something?

Anon
    Up

Originally we were pretty set on Shopify but now decided on BigCommerce because of the Aussie support and capabilities. How can we find out what’s actually possible though…i mean can we pretty much have any type of design page be made or do we need to work within certain parameters? Ideally what we would like is something between a cross of oaknyc.com and ssense.com

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up
    Anon, post: 130589 wrote:
    Originally we were pretty set on Shopify but now decided on BigCommerce because of the Aussie support and capabilities. How can we find out what’s actually possible though…i mean can we pretty much have any type of design page be made or do we need to work within certain parameters? Ideally what we would like is something between a cross of oaknyc.com and ssense.com

I think it’s fairly customisable, if you wanted to do custom stuff you’d have to find a freelancer that has experience on the platform. Big Commerce might even have a board or something for this.

thirdgear
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

I’ve worked with most carts and I think BigCommerce is over priced when it comes to a hosted platform. Also their customer service isn’t the best… wasn’t for me.

BUT if you had to choose hosted and you had a big company I would say go BigCommerce (my website is currently running on Interspire which was when they used to sell their full install module and it is ‘OK’). I’ve stuck with one of their generic templates but I have heavily modified it myself.

If you are a smallish business and just want to sell stuff online with no mucking about with inventory and walk in customers for processing go with Shopify. The fees structure is easy to understand. The great thing about Shopify is you can buy ‘apps’ for your website which will give it more functions. Try before you buy options.

zhenjie
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Past few months I worked with friends on several hosted platforms. The big 3, BigCommerce, Shopify and MagentoGo, all for Australian small businesses.

Taking price out of the equation, I did enjoy the features and usability of BigCommerce over the others. Not by a long margin though. All of them have good, solid offerings. The fact there is a bit more Australian support from BigCommerce was a big advantage.

I was surprised myself by my preferred choice as I’m generally working on Magento for stand-alone solutions. From the eyes of an Aussie small business owner though, I would pick BigCommerce.

Mortgages In Focus
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

My sister uses Volusion – she knows nothing about creating a website but she has miraculously created a shop using their service. I don’t think it is very expensive either.

Shoes2u
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

I have used xcart for 7 years now. It has all the features you want cost is cheap.
    Slight issue I have had is not that much hosting available in Australia.
    It has fallen out of favor over last few years but still works very well for my business and would be worth a look by you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.