Home – New Forums Tech talk Any tips for Google Local Business Listings?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Dave Bockett
    • Total posts: 97
    Up
    ::

Do any of the SEO ninjas are there know any tips or advice about ranking well for a Google Local Business Listing?

One of my websites was the 5th link on the google map and has down dropped right down to the 3rd page now!

I’m sure its just another tweak to the algorithm but did make we wonder if anyone had any idea how google does rank businesses? Is it related to the ranking of the website itself?

Dave.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

There was a thread here that touched on this recently but dammed if I can find it right now…

From my experience the optimisation seems to hinge on making your entry as complete as possible, include pics, vids whatever you got, try to answer every question, opening hours, the works…

Don’t spam the title with the suburbs you want to target, its not worth it…

AND…

Ensure you have entries in other directories like yellow pages that co-relate with what you’re entering in Google. It looks like the more the info ‘stacks up’ with other directory info the better your chances.

This could be coincidental but it has been the observation of some experimenters.

Good luck with it.

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

I just logged in and updated some of my stuff because I find that I am third behind a couple of people I don’t want to be behind… (and only first two are displayed)

I have updated my categories – that seems to be important

Dave your site came up first in local listings when I did a Google search for “pizza oven Canberra”

Kev

Dave Bockett
    Up
    soliddata, post: 17933 wrote:
    I just logged in and updated some of my stuff because I find that I am third behind a couple of people I don’t want to be behind… (and only first two are displayed)

I have updated my categories – that seems to be important

Dave your site came up first in local listings when I did a Google search for “pizza oven Canberra”

Kev

Thanks Kev. Will do a bit of updating and see what happens.

It’s actually for the separate catering website (added it to sig now) we have setup which used to rank very well for “Catering Canberra” but just seems to have bombed in the last few days. Not the end of the world as we can’t really handle many more customers between now and Xmas anyway with full-time jobs, family etc!

Dave.

Dave Bockett
    Up
    Aidan, post: 17928 wrote:
    There was a thread here that touched on this recently but dammed if I can find it right now…

From my experience the optimisation seems to hinge on making your entry as complete as possible, include pics, vids whatever you got, try to answer every question, opening hours, the works…

Don’t spam the title with the suburbs you want to target, its not worth it…

AND…

Ensure you have entries in other directories like yellow pages that co-relate with what you’re entering in Google. It looks like the more the info ‘stacks up’ with other directory info the better your chances.

This could be coincidental but it has been the observation of some experimenters.

Good luck with it.

Thanks Aidan – I thought I had seen something but also couldn’t find it!

Will check all the fields and get a few photos up there.

Have you seen any info if reviews have any impact?

Dave.

Aidan
    Up

Hi Dave,

I did think reviews helped for a while until I saw someone demonstrate otherwise so I’m unsure now…

… but in the interests of getting as complete a package together as possible it’s probably still wise to encourage a good customer to review you!

[Former] FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Aidan, is this the thread you were looking for? http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/sales-marketing/3091-google-local-business-center.html

Regards
    Jayne

Aidan
    Up

Bless you Jayne, that is indeed the one.

Dave – if you’re still monitoring this thread do check it out and Gillian’s blog post she links to.

small business marketing
    • Total posts: 94
    Up

Dave, I’d also add

1. Preface your business name with your #1 keyword (eg if I was called gary’s school of marketing, the business name i’d enter into google local would be “small business marketing – gary’s school of marketing”

2. Because you can choose up to 5 categories, my advice is you complete all 5, it will only benefit you as long as they are targeted and relevant.

My first Category is “Marketing” – you have to use at least one that shows up in Googles drop down list

Every other category are high demand keywords in Australia that I have typed in because they are not in Google’s drop down menu listing (in no particluar order below).

Marketing Coaching, Small Business Email Marketing, Small Business Marketing, Website Marketing

3. Create as many addiotnal details as you can with you most valuable/relevant keywrods.

Eg. I have also created 11 service listings and 3 product listing in the “Additional Details” section

Here is what I have:
    Service 1 : Website Marketing
    Service 2 : Referral Marketing
    Service 3 : Duct Tape Marketing Ultimate Marketing System Group coaching program
    Service 4 : Duct Tape Marketing Ultimate Marketing System One on One coaching program
    Service 5 : Duct Tape Marketing Referral Flood
    Service 6 : Duct Tape Marketing Catalyst Program
    Service 7 : Marketing Coaching
    Service 8 : Marketing Training
    Service 9 : Small Business Email Marketing
    Service 10 : Real Estate Marketing System
    Service 11 : Small Business Marketing Plan
    Product 1 : Duct Tape Marketing Ultimate Marketing System
    Product 2 : Referral Flood
    Product 3 : Duct Tape Marketing Local Search Engine Profile

I think you can add an unlimited amount of these at the moment. I have added the products and services that I offer and then added a bunch of high demand keywords again, eg “Small Business Email Marketing”

4. As complete and comprehensive listing as possible. Opening hours, payment options…..fill them all in.

5. I have started to see listings with reviews move ahead of those without. Google wouldnt have allowed for them if they didnt figure in the calulations so I’d recommend getting as many as you can.

6. I think there was a tweak recently, I have moved to #1 for some of my keywords, and for others I have dropped out of the top 5.

7. Finally, make sure to list your website as your homepage, since Google uses information from your homepage to help improve search results. So if you dont have a website – get one now!

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

Nice one Gary, thats great.

Kev

Servcorp
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Hi Dave,

Be careful when over-optimizing your listings as your LBC account can be suspended. It is fairly common that it does happen although many listings have not undergone scrutiny by Google…yet.

Gary made some excellent points in his post. Also remember to submit your url to local business sites such as yellowpages, truelocal, etc. These references will help your site gain more trust on a local level, in turn helping your local listing.

Here’s some info. which should help :)

http://www.davidmihm.com/local-search-ranking-factors.shtml

Good luck!
    Dave

slawler88
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

HI all,

I have my own site and hosting and domain, but am so confused when it comes to search engines. I know you can list for free, but that doesnt mean you will be on there. How the hell do I get on google, without paying a small fortune?

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Sally,

There is no simple answer, that’s why these things DO cost money. There’s a few threads around these forums, and you’ll get some good tips about SEO. But if you have no web design/development experience, implementing good SEO techniques will be difficult.

So many business owners completely neglect the value of a professionally done website, and what it can do for your business. Take the advice, get it done professionally from the outset, and you will benefit from it.

Cheers,
    Chris

small business marketing
    Up

Hi Folks, I have been doing a few Google Local Profile analyses and recommendations lately for some clients. I do this for free and give recommendations that can be implemented for free…….

I thought I’d offer this service, at not charge, no strings attached, to any (sort of) Flying Solo forum member. Deal is, you need to be a forum member, you need a 20 post minimum, and I will send you my report (which I personally do).

You can email me – gary at small-business-marketing-australia.com

Regards
    Gary

small business marketing
    Up
    Servcorp, post: 18586 wrote:
    Gary made some excellent points in his post………….http://www.davidmihm.com/local-search-ranking-factors.shtml

Dave

Dave, thanks for the pat on the back. I have just made an offer to Flying Soloists that contribute to this forum, if you’d like to take up the offer let me know. Servcorp rank well for Sydney but could do better for a couple of other locations….hope you don’t mind me saying that here – but I’m here to help…..let me know

Gary

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.