Home – New Forums Starting your journey Any tips on how to cold call or write a product inquiry to a supplier?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Paul Serra
    • Total posts: 75
    Up
    ::

Hi guys any good tips when looking at cold calling or writing a product inquiry letter or email to distribute a supplier’s products?

The overseas supplier i am targeting are looking for interested individuals to import and distribute there products here , so at least i know they’re looking for someone, but what would i write? Do i just intro them about myself or ask for there unit prices and FOB prices straight off the bat?

Any templates or useful websites to check out, with info on this?

Cheers

jasonm
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

If they are a reputable supplier they will want to know a bit about your company before giving you any information. Do you have a company profile or capability statement for your company.

I think if you’re serious about a relationship with this business the best thing you could do it introduce yourself and provide the information about your company then arrange a face to face meeting to discuss things before asking for pricing. How you provide the information will depend on what type of business you have and what industry it services.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

I would just get on the phone and open a dualog with them initially, a brief intro, briefly outline what you’d like to achieve and take it from there. They will no doubt have a process they follow for such approaches.

Try not to get caught up in procrastination, this and over analysis is a common trait on this forum ;)

FionaFell
    • Total posts: 342
    Up

Tell them a lot of information about you and what your currently do, and then ask them to share any information that they can that would help you sell more of their product.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Paul Serra
    Up

Thanks guys for the tips. The supplier is located overseas but on their website they have stated that they are looking for interested individuals or importers to establish a profitable relationship with them and distribute their products.

Also on the website they have a person to contact via email so I think I will introduce myself , explain that I am looking to establish myself as a distributor here in oz, the problem is I haven’t started my business yet but if they are willing to sell to me I will create one, should I tell them that from the start or just state the positives first for example I have already created a distribution network and sourced 5 potential customers in the hospitalty sector who are looking for this product.

Another thing I was looking at, was to register here as a soletrader as an importer, so I can look established to the overseas supplier. Then if I get the ok from them to import and distribute their products I will then establish a company and change from a sole trader to a company, could this be an option to take so I don’t look like average Joe just sending a email

Your thoughts would be great

Cheers

King
    Up

Ring them. Don’t muck around with emails.

Tell them what you want to do and they will soon set you straight. Remember, that people are inherently helpful, and if they can support you so as to get a foothold in the AU market they will. You need to make the phone call otherwise you will chase your tail for months.

Find out their terms, their minimum quantities, pricing, if they will arrange shipment at their end etc.

That way in a 20 minute phone call you will have plenty of knowledge to look at things in an informed way at this end. It may be thatwhat they say scuppers them as a supplier, but gee, you will have learned a lot in those 20 minutes that can be applied to the next supplier call.

Also, set some target dates on a timeline so before Easter you will know xyz, then over Easter you will have done the bones of a business plan, straight after Easter, 2 weeks to do the SWAT analysis etc.

This way you will progress well and keep the momentum that is so important.

jasonm
    Up

Assuming you are talking about S.M.C., then they have quite a bit of information about themselves on the website. Study it a little so you know about them and can get a feel for what they are looking for then call the contact they have listed.

jasonm
    Up
    Paul Serra, post: 32467 wrote:
    the problem is I haven’t started my business yet but if they are willing to sell to me I will create one, should I tell them that from the start

I breezed over the post at first and didn’t see this. Under no circumstances let them know that you will start the business based on them dealing with you. I made that mistake before I started off when a major supplier was looking for a service partner, I received a very cold reception when it became clear that I would be starting the business based on receiving their workload. No surprise they found someone else and weren’t interested in talking to me when I did get established.

Paul Serra
    Up

Thank you all for the invaluable insight you are all business legends for sure. Still in the research stages, I’ve never dealt in this industry but have very strong connections to 5 clients awaiting this product so I guess that maybe my ace up my sleeve – only time will tell.

King thanks to you I’ve created a three week timeframe to make sure I see an accountant, finish my biz plan which is quite testing at times to say the least arrrggh! and finally to intro myself to the supplier.

Power Protect thanks for the insight into your own encounters with your past suppliers will definetly keep you guys posted.

I knew joining these forums was a blessing, I hope i can also share some useful knowledge with you guys too, but I really doubt it coz yous are leaps and bounds ahead of me when it comes to business – but I will try. Thanks again everyone!

Cheers

King
    Up

your useful knowledge will be sharing your experiences by letting us know how you get on – invaluable stuff ;)

cookiejoe
    • Total posts: 19
    Up
    Power Protect, post: 32497 wrote:
    I breezed over the post at first and didn’t see this. Under no circumstances let them know that you will start the business based on them dealing with you. I made that mistake before I started off when a major supplier was looking for a service partner, I received a very cold reception when it became clear that I would be starting the business based on receiving their workload. No surprise they found someone else and weren’t interested in talking to me when I did get established.

Hi I totally agree with you. It happen to me once too…so disappointing…haha
    anyway forget the past and now i am planning for the next encounter.
    The thing is how and what story should i make up to gain their confidence?
    I am just not very good at making stories, and the fact is that we have nothing. Pls advise. Thx. :)

Paul Serra
    Up
    cookiejoe, post: 32775 wrote:
    Hi I totally agree with you. It happen to me once too…so disappointing…haha
    anyway forget the past and now i am planning for the next encounter.
    The thing is how and what story should i make up to gain their confidence?
    I am just not very good at making stories, and the fact is that we have nothing. Pls advise. Thx. :)

Hi Cookiejoe i’m not sure about making stories up to get the suppliers to play ball. I know sometimes its hard to look established when you just start out, trust me i know haha. What I’ve done is tested the market and sourced up to 5 potential clients which i will take to the supplier, which in turn will help confidence and build credibility i guess.

Also i will establish my self by registering for an abn as a sole trader then registering a business name, so as if to look like an established business instead of a one man band. I guess first impression do last when it comes to meeting potential suppliers etc. What industry are you targeting at the moment? Maybe the experts here can help if you give abit more detail. Good luck !

coldcallingtips
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Paul, I would definately recommend writing to the customer first. But make sure you follow up with a cold call telephone call.

Now the most likely thing that will happen is that your initial letter, will be lining their waste paper basket. REMEMBER that direct mail has a response rate of approx 1%. But there will be one or two that will remember the letter. So long as you have crafted your letter well, they may remember what you can offer them.

As for cold calling tips . . . there’s so much to learn and practice is the best proponent on this one. Get yourself a decent opening pitch that lasts no longer than 15-20 secs. Any longer and you risk sending them to sleep, no matter how good it may be.

Also one golden nugget of advice I will share with you is not to take the word ‘no’ personally. You will hear it often and its a fact of life in any cold call.

If you want more free information, I run a huge resource center on the web for cold calling. Good luck and wish you success

Paul Serra
    Up

hi coldcallingtips thanks for the info will definitely check out ur free sources cheers, now instead of a letter would emailing an introduction with a cold call 3 days after also be a good option?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.