Home – New Forums Tech talk Any WordPress Gurus?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    ::

Hi all, I’m hoping someone might be able to offer a word of advice on installing WordPress. I’ve been following the uploading instructions, as per their Beginner’s Guide, downloaded FileZilla to handle the FTP data transfer, but of the 330 files that needed to be uploaded to my server, 5 keep timing out. (ARGH!!)

I followed the FileZilla help on Wiki, set it up as an exception, yada, yada… but still these files are timing out.

Any suggestions.. ideas..? (besides throwing it all out the window?)

Cheers,

Anna

Identiti
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Hey The Copy Chick, and hello FlyingSolo!

May I ask what files they are? Are they larger files (off the top of my head I don’t remember many of the WP installation being very large but…)?

If you have cPanel with your domain, or another domain management software installed, you can upload it using that maybe? (If none of that made sense, let me know and I’ll run you through it!)

Cheers,

Josh
    Identiti Web Development
    @IDWebDev

IT Advocate
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

Wordpress is a fairly small install, it’s not your antivirus scanning the files as it uploads maybe? Try disabling the av for a couple of minutes while u upload.

As identiti said, if u have cpanel or plesk there might be an auto installer called fantastico. This installs wordpress and configures the my SQL databases for u, easy as.

Which web host r you with?

The Copy Chick
    Up

Hi there – thanks so much for your responses.

I tried running it again yesterday and ended up with one troublesome file – and no, it’s not that big and it seems to be “timing out” in a minute or two, even though the upload bar shows 100%.

The cPanel tutorial advised a third party program (such as FileZilla) would need to be used to facilitate the upload, and following the FileZilla troubleshooting guide, I’ve set up an exception in the firewall to allow the upload, so I’m not sure why things are still going pear-shaped.

I really appreciate your offers of help and hopefully I can get in touch with a few more details – I have to duck off to a meeting shortly, so I’ll have to get back to it.

Cheers,

Anna

IT Advocate
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

Hi Anna,

You should not have to set any exceptions to use filezilla, especially since the rest of the files work. If a firewall was stopping filezilla on the FTP port it would stop all ftp transfers.

I can upload WordPress for you from my computer. All you need to do is use cPanel to create me an FTP login, then once i have uploaded wordpress, you can delete that user and I will no longer have access.

Are you going to be using the latest 3.0.1 release?

Give me a call and ill get it sorted in 5 minutes, my contact details are on my website.

p.s. just had a look at your website, and its great. Did you know that you can clone that exact site into wordpress. The site design will stay the same but have all the wordpress functionality.

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

Boogers. If you’ve by any chance got Cpanel, you should be able to go through the “Funtastico” (or some shiz-named) bit and have that part install it directly so you don’t chew through your bandwidth usage FTPing huge files.

I’d say, if all else fails, download and unzip an older version that will copy, install it, and then hit “Upgrade” once you’re in there.

Or kick it. You didn’t even mention if you’d tried kicking it.

Never underestimate the value of percussive maintenance.

tr3nton
    • Total posts: 68
    Up

Not sure what would be causing the timeout, but perhaps you could change the timeout setting within filezilla, as discussed here: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=585485

Ta,
    Trent

The Copy Chick
    Up
    Jexley, post: 51529 wrote:

: ) That’s hilarious!! No.. I just tried swearing at it. That didn’t seem to help much either!

I swear I have a curse on me when it comes to anything electrical or IT.

In the meantime, I think I might take the weekend to sleep on it.

Have a good one!

ShanghaiSi
    • Total posts: 50
    Up
    Jexley, post: 51529 wrote:

Back to basics! I find a combination of the round house kick with a screamed expletive will help…you feel better anyway!

Wordpress should be a breeze via ftp or fantastico. You have an issue with your host or an issue at your end from a firewall or virus protection perspective.

Download the entire 3.XX ZIP file from wordpress again.
    Delete everything in yor publich html folder on your host
    Delete the old zip and word press install from your PC/MAC (Empty your trash on MAC)
    Unzip and ftp the new one again.

This is not a WordPress issue.

1 questions are you installing in the root directory on your host or in a sub-directory?

Hope this helps Copy Chick

The Copy Chick
    Up

Hi ShanghaiSi – thanks for the advice. I’m hoping I’ll have a bit of spare time this week to give it another crack.

I believe I’m installing it to a root directory – at least that’s what the instructions I was following suggest.

I think I’ll try another intermediary program and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Anna

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up
    The Copy Chick, post: 52438 wrote:
    I believe I’m installing it to a root directory – at least that’s what the instructions I was following suggest.

Hi Copychick,

The root directory of your server is NOT the same as the “Document Root” of your server. That may sound weird but bare with me:

On your server there will be in the root directory a number of folders (when you ftp onto it). One of these will be called either public_html or www, or your may have both. If you have both, they both point at the same data and it doesn’t matter which you use. This is where all your website files go into. And if someone goes to http://www.thecopychick.com.au for example, the files they are seeing are whatever is stored in this directly – not the actual root of your server.

I also cannot strongly enough recommend that you change the way you are trying to install WordPress.
    WordPress is based on both files and a database, and can be a bit annoying for a beginner to install by hand, particularly the database creation bit.

By far the best way to install it is exactly as others have suggested: Presuming your host uses CPanel, there should down near the bottom under “Software/Services” be a section called “Fantastico De Luxe”. This system has a list of programs it can install almost automatically for you.

If you don’t see Fantastico listed, you may instead see one called “Installatron Applications Installer”, which is less common but basically does the same thing, it’s just the competitor that some hosts use instead.

If your host doesn’t have either of these options available or maybe some other choice I don’t know about that achieves the same type of tasks, I’d be surprised. And if they didn’t it would have to be a pretty low end budget host to exclude such basic stuff.

Doing it through either of these programs or similar will completely negate the need to upload anything at all via FTP. Failing that, I would strongly suggest taking up IT Advocate on his very generous offer to install it for you. All you have to do is create a separate FTP account for him (so you don’t have to give him your main password), and then delete when he is finished, as he suggested.

Matt

The Copy Chick
    Up

I also cannot strongly enough recommend that you change the way you are trying to install WordPress.

Hi Matt, thanks for your feedback. I was actually following the process from “The Beginner’s Guide to WordPress” – which clearly isn’t working for me, hence my query here.

The last week I just haven’t had the time to look at it again, but I’m not adverse to an offer for help, so I may well be taking that one up!

Thanks again,

Anna

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329
    Up
    marketingweb, post: 52445 wrote:
    By far the best way to install it is exactly as others have suggested: Presuming your host uses CPanel, there should down near the bottom under “Software/Services” be a section called “Fantastico De Luxe”. This system has a list of programs it can install almost automatically for you.

I agree with Matt. Fantastico Deluxe all the way. A few clicks and it’s all installed. No headaches, no further knowledge needed.

The Copy Chick
    Up

Thanks everyone for your fantastic advice. I may have another crack at it tomorrow and see if I can get it sorted.

If not, I’ll be cashing in that offer of help..! : )

Cheers,

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.