Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Anyone can offer help with/choosing public relations?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    nominal
    • Total posts: 504
    Up
    ::

I was hoping you guys can help with any experience or word of advise with choosing a PR agency/consultant, the way this usually works and the benefits you may have seen from such initiatives.

I am hopeful that some professional assistance in this field will bring in more leads as well as get some positive mentions which will assist with the overall brand awareness.

It just seem a bit strange the way they work and especially charge, you’re suppose to pay a (hefty) monthly retainer, as well as other expenses and ‘clipping fee’ (sounds like a term from days lone gone no?). And then you sit back and hope for the best.

You might get featured on Oprah or mentioned on the school paper, or none of the above.

How can you justify or compare this with other marketing efforts? it seems hard to measure.

I will be grateful for any advise from someone who used a PR agency or proposals from PR agencies.

The Infotainer
    • Total posts: 612
    Up

Yeah I’d like to know as well

do they have guarantee’s cos they charge alot of money

I am in Marketing at trade shows and I have a guarantee, so why can’t they?

dealflip.com.au
    • Total posts: 119
    Up

Hi Uri,

I was looking into this option with my other ventures in the past but was a tad turned off with the “hefty” monthly retainers too.

My partner has been working in the fashion PR world for the last 5 years and she says the monthly retainer is the norm in a lot of other firms – sometimes an arm and a leg.

Then again on the other hand these agencies are at times worth the money, but if the results are not proven especially in the early stages a lot of people maybe left thinking what is the retainer all for.

From what she’s been telling me if you address you goals with the agency from the word Go and they have a proven track record with your business model/ similar brands then you could consider them on a trial period etc.

That’s my two cents! I’ll send you a PM maybe I can be of more assistance to you :)

Cheers,

Paul

nominal, post: 86352 wrote:
    I was hoping you guys can help with any experience or word of advise with choosing a PR agency/consultant, the way this usually works and the benefits you may have seen from such initiatives.

I am hopeful that some professional assistance in this field will bring in more leads as well as get some positive mentions which will assist with the overall brand awareness.

It just seem a bit strange the way they work and especially charge, you’re suppose to pay a (hefty) monthly retainer, as well as other expenses and ‘clipping fee’ (sounds like a term from days lone gone no?). And then you sit back and hope for the best.

You might get featured on Oprah or mentioned on the school paper, or none of the above.

How can you justify or compare this with other marketing efforts? it seems hard to measure.

I will be grateful for any advise from someone who used a PR agency or proposals from PR agencies.

SheInspires
    • Total posts: 247
    Up

I know I’ve found it quite hard getting things sorted with a public relations agency so I took an easier route.

I have found http://www.sourcebottle.com.au to be a great resource so maybe through there you can find business who is happy with their PR agency and take it from there?

Personally I’ve been stunned at the very low number of agencies that have a decent online strategy of their own – if they can’t do it for themselves then why trust them to do mine?

But I agree with Paul about being exceptionally clear about goals and expectations – key deliverables that are signed off on with agreement.

nominal
    Up
    SheInspires, post: 87189 wrote:
    I have found http://www.sourcebottle.com.au to be a great resource so maybe through there you can find business who is happy with their PR agency and take it from there?

I’ve tried source bottle, it has very good PR itself and seems to be doing well :-)
    I didn’t get any response on a couple of things I sent in and I was a bit annoyed with the emails twice a day, so I un-subscribed.

I might give it another go at another chance.

Funny – today I was going over the PR section on FS directory and saw your business states Bondi Junction – we’re almost neighbours. I also found your site quite relevant with my target audience – micro businesses.

Perhaps we can work together some time….

As for the PR i’ve found what I was looking for and hope to provide good comments in the future.

Thanks!

NickHumphries
    • Total posts: 418
    Up

i dont understand, what is a monthly retainer?

I used Prweb to get my press release out, but the only news sites that picked the story up were those who are like press release sites.

Maybe it was ok for SEO, but I think to really be successful you need to have friends that are journalists, or close connections.

nominal
    Up
    NickHumphries, post: 87382 wrote:
    i dont understand, what is a monthly retainer?
    I think to really be successful you need to have friends that are journalists, or close connections.

These are Public relations people and what you pay them to be your friends is the monthly retainer.

NickHumphries
    • Total posts: 418
    Up
    nominal, post: 87383 wrote:
    These are Public relations people and what you pay them to be your friends is the monthly retainer.
    “pay them to be your friends” hahaha

the value of the people you know hey…

PR Guru Julie
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

OMG What a reputation we have eh? Firstly though, I must dispel the myth that everyone charges a monthly retainer – they are a thing of the past, because you guessed it, everyone wants (and deserves) fees for services.

If you want to outsource your PR I would suggest you do some research. I’d recommend you go to http://www.pria.com.au – which lists registered consultancy group members in each state. You can then select the PR company that most suits your type of business. Talk to about 3-4 of them to see if you are a good match and ask to see case studies of what they have achieved for their clients. The PRIA has information on what to write in your brief or scope of work to enable an agency to provide project costs.

And there’s another option – and that’s to do it yourself. But, you need time and some tools (and knowledge). Have a look at our PR Guru website http://www.prguru.com.au and our blog as there’s lots of free advice and useful tools (book, media release writing service, media database lists and more!

These are the tools that we use in our own business at JMM Communications which by way, only ever charges fee for service or project fees.

See you in the media!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.