Home – New Forums Other discussions Anyone else get weird and dodgy calls?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ainsley
    • Total posts: 34
    Up
    ::

Yesterday I got a call on my mobile from a blocked number. The person said they got my contact through Flying Solo and wanted to know my prices for a package he was putting together for clients who might want to use my services.

He only mentioned his first name, wouldn’t tell me what business he was from, wouldn’t tell me what the package was and didn’t have any specific customer in mind. When I tried to let him know that we cannot just give standard prices over the phone because it is not how we do business, I was given a life lesson about how this would mean people would steal all our customers (??) and that two other business had just told him this information.

I found this frustrating, confusing and very out of the Flying Solo Community’s “Character” and so I wanted to see if there was anyone else out there who has had an experience like this??

Perhaps a few stories floating might be a reminder about etiquette and respect to other people’s businesses…

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

I think you’ll find he wasn’t from FS :)

I’d say he’s more likely just a scammer who grabbed some business names and websites from the forum.

Wendy

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

I agree, sounds dodgy to me…

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    Ainsley , post: 74202 wrote:
    I found this frustrating, confusing and very out of the Flying Solo Community’s “Character” and so I wanted to see if there was anyone else out there who has had an experience like this??

Perhaps a few stories floating might be a reminder about etiquette and respect to other people’s businesses…

Hi Ainsley,

Thanks for letting us know and sorry you received this call. It wasn’t us I promise :) unless Robert went rogue overnight!

As with any online community, combatting spammers is an inevitable and unfortunate part of what we have to do. We dislike this as much as you do! We have strict filters in place and have moderators in place throughout the day, but occasionally they do manage to sneak in briefly before we can block them. How they think it is effective business development is beyond me!

What some of these spammers do is trawl popular sites on the internet looking for email addresses or phone numbers that are posted online and then claim to have some affiliation with a credible company. Or they visit member websites and access their details that way.

While there is no way for them to access any of our member data in our system, they can scrape content on public pages either on Flying Solo or other websites.

Only members can send direct messages via the Flying Solo forum or directory messaging systems, so if you receive any of these do let us know and we can identify, delete and ban any spammers. It’s a balance between allowing genuine people/prospects find you and preventing annoying spammers.

Hope that helps clarify things and let me know if you have any questions. Meanwhile I’ll get the blowtorch and go spam hunting.

Cheers
    Peter

onthephoneagain
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

Got a weird call yesterday from Microsoft claiming there was something wrong with my computer. Wanted me to get into some settings so she could fix it . ( something like that anyways) I just laughed and hung up.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up
    onthephoneagain, post: 75341 wrote:
    Got a weird call yesterday from Microsoft claiming there was something wrong with my computer. Wanted me to get into some settings so she could fix it . ( something like that anyways) I just laughed and hung up.

It is not Microsoft but people pretending to be. Please note it’s a known scam and they target many elderly people with it. They install remotely a file that gives them access to that person’s computer and all their details.
    For anyone who gets these calls, please do not answer them for your own protection.

http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/

Edit: March 2011 post on scamwatch
    http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/834379

IronMaiden
    • Total posts: 125
    Up

I had an odd call yesterday morning asking for our postal address for delivery of a ‘local’ directory, which of course is never delivered as we’re in a rural area. I figured if they want to waste their money trying to scam me then go for it, it’s a PO box anyway.

Then this morning I got another call at around the same time advising that “our copy of the magazine was being posted out and the invoice for our 1/4 page ad would be faxed”. They asked for me by name, which they can get from our website, and said I’d authorised this ad back in January when they gave me a special discounted offer in their “Statewide Emergency Services” magazine. As a former SAPOL employee I know there’s no such magazine and I’d heard about these scams so wasn’t playing ball. He said he’d check with ‘accounts’ and just as I asked him to hang on as I had a question he hung up on me. He ran pretty quick when he figured I was on to him.

Call came from a ‘private number’ and I’m guessing is interstate as the phone rang at about 8.30am SA time, ie 9am EST aka standard business opening hours.

Keeta Nova
    • Total posts: 294
    Up

I know this is probably considered a good thing, but I still find it creepy when people come to my website after googling my name. I am unsure if this is called ‘interested clients’ or ‘net stalking’!!

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

I’ve received an email from someone who is a member here and tells me he got my details from Flying Solo. It’s an unsolicited email talking about their business and I’m wondering if I should send back some polite missive telling him he shouldn’t spam people people. Any thoughts? It’s not a DM.

bridiej
    Up

What does he want Suzi?

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Ironmaiden – I also receive calls like that. And faxes with invoices and mail to the post office with invoices. So good that you were aware. It’s awful how many people get scammed this way without checking the details.

There’s also one regularly going around saying to renew domain names – they are not from my normal supplier and I always double check the detail or phone my own provider to check if I am due.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    Up
    bridiej, post: 83805 wrote:
    What does he want Suzi?

He wants me to become a customer.

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up
    SuzsSpace, post: 83786 wrote:
    I’ve received an email from someone who is a member here and tells me he got my details from Flying Solo. It’s an unsolicited email talking about their business and I’m wondering if I should send back some polite missive telling him he shouldn’t spam people people. Any thoughts? It’s not a DM.

I got one of these not too long ago – was just spamming me about his business.

Let the mods know, they’ll sort him out ;)

bridiej
    Up

Ah okay, not a general introduction or wanting your services then… I agree with flower-child, report him to the mods :)

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    Up

Thanks folks. Really appreciate the feedback on this. Sometimes it’s hard to know where the border is between reporting or not.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.