Home – New Forums Other discussions Anyone tried a standing or a treadmill desk?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    inkable
    • Total posts: 129
    Up
    ::

I almost put this in the working smarter forum. But perhaps it is better here.

I am curious if there are any other flyers out there using a standing or treadmill desk?

I have been using a standing desk for about a week and a half now and am pretty happy with the decision so far. I find I have more energy and focus, not to mention I am starting to see the scale tip in my favor :) I am looking forward to making the transition to a treadmill desk and I would really love to hear from anyone who is using one. Or if you have been standing for a while it would be great to hear about your experience.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up
    inkable, post: 128771 wrote:
    I almost put this in the working smarter forum. But perhaps it is better here.

I am curious if there are any other flyers out there using a standing or treadmill desk?

I have been using a standing desk for about a week and a half now and am pretty happy with the decision so far. I find I have more energy and focus, not to mention I am starting to see the scale tip in my favor :) I am looking forward to making the transition to a treadmill desk and I would really love to hear from anyone who is using one. Or if you have been standing for a while it would be great to hear about your experience.

Hello, I have had a standing desk for the last 6 months or so. I have contemplated a treadmill, but never gone through with it (it seems slightly crazy) :)….

Sometimes I get the urge to go back to sitting…mostly due to laziness and when I am tired….I sometimes raise my chair right up high and cop out :)

Definitely healthier.

As for a treadmill, I wonder how that would go with a bobbing head and trying to read a computer…..I’ve also been contemplating working on 60inch tv’s from a distance….I think that’d probably be the healthiest setup…

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I have a stand up desk, more specifically a plan desk for construction drawings, you just can’t manage sheets of paper that big sitting down.

It’s custom built out of leftovers for about $2.50, 2.5 metres long, 1.2 metres wide and slopes up to the back for an easier viewing angle.

Don’t get paper drawings much any more but I still use it a lot if I’m not measuring off a screen, they’re actually very comfortable to work at, it’s my preferred option with a laptop.

Never seen a treadmill desk, if I keep sitting on my bum to make a living I might investigate.

dextereugenio
    • Total posts: 536
    Up

im using a stand up desk as i type this

kitchen table + 2 empty computer towers + piece of melamine

i bought a tall chair from ikea to lean on when the going gets tough.

next is some rubber mat (you can get some massagy type stuff also) for me to stand on.

on the whole, very happy with it. obviously doing its trick as i get quite tired standing up for so long. i find the postures better and im less prone to sore “back of my shoulders”

recommended, and itll be much better once i get some better standing material!

inkable
    Up

So I guess it doesn’t become second nature to the point where you don’t think about sitting down? I find myself taking a break every hour or two to sit down for a few minutes. I was thinking I would take fewer breaks as I do this longer. But this makes sense, I guess even if your muscles and body are trained it is still possible to get tired.

The spongy mat sounds like a good idea. I will think about that before I move onto the treadmill.

I hadn’t thought about the larger monitor idea. I currently have a 32″ next to my laptop. But as it sits pretty close to me it is probably doing more harm than good :(

Regarding the treadmill,in the videos that I have seen people walk very slow about 1.5 khr to 2 khr. So there doesn’t seem to be alot of head bobbing. Also they seem to prefer it to just standing. Anyway you are right it does sound a bit crazy but I am pretty excited to try it.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I’ve never real thought about it before but they are second nature to me, this would be part of the standard fit out in a normal construction site shed, if not, making one out of whatever is available would be high priority, an old door and few bits of timber for legs and bracing was a quick solution.

You’re never stationary for long in a site office, it’s just a series continual interruptions and moving around both in and out of the office, even trying to sit down would be a waste of time on a busy site, I new I’d had quiet day if I got to sit down to eat lunch.

It must be an intuitive thing or natural ergonomics but most business with visitors to my office is done standing at the plan desk just like I would in a site shed, a damn site more civilised and comfortable though.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

Sounds interesting but I imagine it would take a lot of getting used to.

Lizosaurus
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

In my last workplace all the benches were at a ‘standing’ height. We had tall chairs to use, but I spent a lot of my time standing. It can be detrimental if you’re a leaner like I am — I was constantly just leaning against the desk, which isn’t too good for your back. However, if you can keep yourself upright it is a great option!

Re: a treadmill desk — I’m not so sure about that. I think I’d get motion sickness after a while!

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

I never new standing desks were so popular, think I’ll give it a go.

Steve

dextereugenio
    • Total posts: 536
    Up

id ultimately love a treadmill desk but i dont quite have the space or the funds for a decent setup.

it would run well into the thousands and would be quite an eye sore in my lounge room (get kicked out of my office. damn 3rd child! :) )

still very happy with my stander upper though.

My Wedding Concierge
    • Total posts: 109
    Up

When I had my first design job at a studio in port melbourne, they had standing desks, with an adjustable seat that could go up quite high to match it.

Honestly I really really liked it, definitely agree that it gives you more energy, and you can still sit down if you want to.

Never heard of a treadmill desk but I don’t think there’s any way I could operate precision graphics programs while walking, let alone typing and walking lol.

Jodie McLeod
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

Hi Inkable,

We put this question up for discussion on Facebook, and it received a lot of input. Check out the responses here, particularly Israel Smith’s picture of his own treadmill desk!

Cheers

Jodie

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up
    gossipism, post: 128899 wrote:
    id ultimately love a treadmill desk but i dont quite have the space or the funds for a decent setup.

it would run well into the thousands and would be quite an eye sore in my lounge room (get kicked out of my office. damn 3rd child! :) )

still very happy with my stander upper though.

DEX!!! Where have you been?

inkable
    Up
    FS Editor, post: 128917 wrote:
    Hi Inkable,

We put this question up for discussion on Facebook, and it received a lot of input. Check out the responses here, particularly Israel Smith’s picture of his own treadmill desk!

Cheers

Jodie

Wow inspiring stuff. Can’t wait to go from standing to the treadmill. I just need to find the treadmill.

angela123
    • Total posts: 310
    Up

haven’t used one myself, but a lady I used to work with broke her tailbone at work, and the company supplied a you beaut custom stand up desk with treadmill for her. She told me it cost thousands (a few years ago now) but it was a government company, so money was no object (at the time)
    Bit different now, voluntary redundancy program was announced yesterday, costs getting cut everywhere……

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.