Home – New Forums Find the help you need Anyone used SitesandStores.com.au ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    JewellerTracy
    • Total posts: 25
    Up
    ::

I’m in desperate need of a website and just don’t have the time to learn it myself. However, I also don’t have the budget to pay big bucks for someone else to do it. I’m considering sitesandstores.com.au and wondering if anyone out there has used them……

I’m looking at them designing/building the site and loading the content myself for $397

I really like the idea of being able to edit it myself, but happy to have someone else set it up for me.

If anyone has dealt with this business before I’d love to hear your opinions and experiences.

Thanks
    Tracy

Tracy Kelly Jewellery Design

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

This one was advertised in a business women’s magazine and I know of a few people either using it, or adding it to their own websites.
    http://www.shopify.com/ You pay monthly.
    You get a month’s free trial.
    You must have a PayPal business account for it to work, but that’s easy to set up.

If you want a nice header for the site made up, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes.

Blue Jet
    • Total posts: 189
    Up

I personally haven’t used them but I know a few people that have and some are happy and some are angry with all the promises that they feed you and etc.

It all depends on what website you looking for? If you looking for a website with 3 to 5 pages and you happy to pay $397 + GST (that’s what they offer I think, I might be wrong) then go for it.

But if you looking for a quality website not just a 5 page one, than their price will not be $397 but will be much higher.

I am not a website designer nor a website adviser ( I’m just a cleaner :P ) just thought to comment and share my opinion for these guys.

Flying Solo has a lot of great website designers I am sure they will comment below with some great info for you.

All the best to you

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

They don’t have a great reputation. If you google their name, you’ll find some reviews.

There are some members on this forum that do sites for similar prices.

JewellerTracy
    Up

Thanks for the quick responses. I have done some Googling and must say the bad reviews seriously outweigh the good ones. I do appreciate the value of a ‘good’ website and that the cost can be well worth it if it works effectively, however, it’s just not in my budget to spend big dollars (or even medium dollars!) right now. I figure a few hundred bucks will give me a site that will keep me going until I know exactly where my business is going and until I get more funds to dedicate to a website.

The price seemed really cheap to me, but it seems not so, maybe I’ve been looking at the wrong things….. I’ll have to check out the Flying Solo members that may be able to offer something similar :D

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

For less than 400 bucks it’s going to be crap. Some web design business here offer software as a service, whereby you pay a monthly rental fee for a website. In time you may find yourself spending $2000 + (which is average for a website with CMS), however on a monthly basis it may only be $40 – $95, which is a much more manageable figure.

I’ll be offering software as a service in the future but for now I believe Mathew Keath does?

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up
    IncredibleCo, post: 118556 wrote:
    For less than 400 bucks it’s going to be crap.

Not necessarily, but I see where you are coming from.

I can do a good website of 4-5 pages for that sort of price, with or without a CMS, provided three things:

1) Content is provided in a ready to go format – ie the text is ready to go and I just have to slot the content in – as opposed to a “few rough notes i’ve put together, that you can probably use to write the text”.

2) The client is willing to pick from a range of high quality standard templates, which are then modified to requirements. Agreeing on a design strategy and overall look upfront saves rework.

3) There are no complex or unusual requirements that require complex coding. Contact forms, Google Analytics, Google Maps integration etc however are not a problem and are included.

Not every client needs something complex with 5 different mockups and 10 stages of revisions etc, nor a design thats 100% unique, provided it LOOKS unique. Building a website that uses a standard template but still have a custom look is very possible at this price point. Generally it’s the rewriting of content and umpteen design revisions that make it a more expensive process, so if these can be managed then I don’t see the issue.

SO, if you are still looking for an option from a “real” person, not a faceless cookie cutter company, and still at a economy price, let me know!

Matt

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

This 15 page thread is worth reading before you proceed with sites and stores….(or any web dev company for that matter)

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1328090

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    IncredibleCo, post: 118556 wrote:
    For less than 400 bucks it’s going to be crap. Some web design business here offer software as a service, whereby you pay a monthly rental fee for a website. In time you may find yourself spending $2000 + (which is average for a website with CMS), however on a monthly basis it may only be $40 – $95, which is a much more manageable figure.

I’ll be offering software as a service in the future but for now I believe Mathew Keath does?Thanks for mentioning my name :)

I’ve had a few clients who have used Sites and Stores, and the feedback has not been fantastic. The Whirlpool thread says it all really.

Fresh
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Hi Tracy,

We use BigCommerce and very happy so far… you pay per month though… so over time might be more expensive. It was started by some Aussie guys but is now huge in the US too. I must say that the service by email is very responsive.

Cheers!

vxd
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

It’s $397 + a Monthly fee, I think its $20.

For $400 you will be getting a template. Even if they say it looks professional.

You should think about this before you proceed. Spending $400 on a cheap website which will look like a template and possibly looking really bad.
    You will lose business.

If you don’t have the budget for it now then don’t do it until you do. Setup a nice coming soon page and direct them to your facebook and/or twitter account.

Provide the necessary information on Facebook and Twitter. You won’t ruin your image or potentially scaring away possible customers.

But if you really think you need a website then I’m sure you will find someone on here (Every second user on here offers that service) that can help you out for $400.

To help yourself and the web designer make this a smooth process you should create a sitemap and write a few dot points for each of the main pages of the features of the page.

Home
    Slideshow
    contact form
    twitter feed.

Services

Just text and images.

List all the features you want on the site. Never assume that the designer or developer knows what you want.

If you want a form specify what fields you require because the developer can only assume the fields you need.

JewellerTracy
    Up
    marketingweb, post: 118566 wrote:
    Not necessarily, but I see where you are coming from.

I can do a good website of 4-5 pages for that sort of price, with or without a CMS, provided three things:

Matt

Thanks, Matt.
    I will definitely be in touch soon sounds great :)

JewellerTracy
    Up

Thanks for the responses. I am certainly not going to go ahead with them now. They insisted they did not use templates, but I didn’t believe that after looking at a couple of example sites….that was the first thing that made me wonder.

I do have a wix site that I am using temporarily, and it’s free which is good. I was planning on doing some more work on it to actually simplify it a bit and, as vxd suggested, try and use it more to people redirect to my Facebook page, but then I saw the ad for sitesandstores and figured I’d see what they do. Once again, it seems I should have just started here :rolleyes: Would have saved myself some time LOL

If anyone would like to give opinions on my current wix site, I’d love to hear it.
    http://www.tkjewellery.com (BTW, I haven’t put links to Facebook yet, I know I know, but I’m getting to it……really! lol )

Cheers :)

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    JewellerTracy, post: 118845 wrote:
    If anyone would like to give opinions on my current wix site, I’d love to hear it.
    http://www.tkjewellery.comA Wix site is well, it’s free which is a plus, but it’s neither looks good or is easy to use. If you try and view it on an iphone or ipad you will see the other problem with it.

When you are ready, check out some of the pre made design examples in the link in my top link in my sig.

But, with Jewellery especially, a great looking, professional site is really important. You can’t go past a 100% customised site. It’s a high ticket item which needs a high ticket site.

If you need any advice please ask!

JewellerTracy
    Up

Hi Matthew, and thanks for the advice.

Recently someone told me that Wix sites don’t display on phones, which is really why I am wanting to change. I know that a LOT of people browse on their phone (not me, I’m still in the dark ages apparently!) but it is a big thing to consider.

I found wix to be really easy to work with, which is good for me, but not (obviously) necessarily that good for the people that I am targeting….. And believe me, I know I need good site, and I know the value of it……I just can’t do it now, so a basic site that encourages people to visit my Facebook or, better still, to contact me directly, is what I really need now. I have a really nice guy that does my hosting and I’d love to stay with him, but if I need to change to get a decent website, I will. That’s just business and he’ll understand.

I have a really good idea of what I want and most of the text is up already, so hopefully it won’t be too much of a challenge.

I’ll be in touch with you soon, thankyou :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.