Home – New Forums Tech talk App Development Quote

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    johnnycashflow
    • Total posts: 98
    Up
    ::

hi folks,

so ive been toying with a few app ideas, not being technical whatsoever

ive contacted a company, whom I told them of my idea after signing an NDA,
    and they said the idea is good (not surprising since I assume they would say that to get the business)

and obviously its not a final price, but its around the $100k per mark per OS, so essentially $200k for apple and android

is this how much apps really cost? and do all people with a decent idea, invest this much to get their app developed?
    seems like a huge risk, unless you can get it done cheap in india or unless you have investors, and is this the only option I have?

thanks in advance everyone

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

I spoke to a guy the last time I was in the US that was working on an App related to the tourism industry.

He said his cost were roughly $250K.

So much depends on what capabilities you need the App to perform.

RunicConvenience
    • Total posts: 186
    Up

200k I am assuming they mean a complete app.

most people trying to release a new idea don’t have a complete app. they get the basic app going maybe 2 – 5k then see if anyone likes it. add on the features. create a revenue stream. use that to invest into completeing the app.

essentially it is 200k for a fully furnished office/business or 5k-10k for popup stand that could become a fully furnished office/business

businesstrade
    Participant
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

You want to develop what is known as a “MVP” or minimum viable product. Spending $200k on an app which is unproven is as good as throwing money in the drain. The sales rep that said your idea is great is only doing so to get your business.

businesstrade.com.aubuy or sell a business
    johnnycashflow
    Up
    BusinessTrade, post: 266485, member: 113709 wrote:
    You want to develop what is known as a “MVP” or minimum viable product. Spending $200k on an app which is unproven is as good as throwing money in the drain. The sales rep that said your idea is great is only doing so to get your business.
    absolutely, I did feel like saying that at the time with a “have you ever rejected an idea”
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

If you believe any figures given to you on this or any other forum based on the information you have provided, you are doomed to failure. Without detailed specs of what you want, no one can give you even a ballpark figure.

ruairiau
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

“so ive been toying with a few app ideas, not being technical whatsoever”

I’d stop right there. I think you’re going to find it quite challenging to build a successful app without a technical background or having access to someone who has.

I’m a dev and I’d go as far as saying there’s no money in apps. It’s just another gold rush, we have them a lot. Yes some get lucky, but most don’t. The smart people sell the pickaxes and it sounds like you’re getting sold a $200k pickaxe.

If you’re determined that you have a good idea that a billion other freelance developers worldwide haven’t thought of already and won’t ripoff the moment you go live, then listen to the advice above and build an MVP.
    Go to a local Meetup group and try find an ambitious developer, maybe someone at uni. I’d advise capping your spend at $10k-$20k. If you can’t get a working prototype after that, your idea is probably too ambitious or too complex. Even if your idea gets no traction, it’s a great networking opportunity and you never know where things might lead.

Best of luck!

johnnycashflow
    Up
    ruairiau, post: 266596, member: 112433 wrote:
    “so ive been toying with a few app ideas, not being technical whatsoever”

I’d stop right there. I think you’re going to find it quite challenging to build a successful app without a technical background or having access to someone who has.

I’m a dev and I’d go as far as saying there’s no money in apps. It’s just another gold rush, we have them a lot. Yes some get lucky, but most don’t. The smart people sell the pickaxes and it sounds like you’re getting sold a $200k pickaxe.

If you’re determined that you have a good idea that a billion other freelance developers worldwide haven’t thought of already and won’t ripoff the moment you go live, then listen to the advice above and build an MVP.
    Go to a local Meetup group and try find an ambitious developer, maybe someone at uni. I’d advise capping your spend at $10k-$20k. If you can’t get a working prototype after that, your idea is probably too ambitious or too complex. Even if your idea gets no traction, it’s a great networking opportunity and you never know where things might lead.

Best of luck!
    I apprecaite your honest feedback,

I am a cynical character myself, so im not expecting to be successful but im willing to have a go at it, or im happy just to learn reality

of courset he company that I got quote from are going to say my idea is wonderful, that made me laugh when they said “oh we like your idea nad think it has potential”

although ive signed an NDA with the company, the cynic in me thinks, if they wanted to steal it it would be easy, they could just get another company to develop the app as t heir own,
    plus I doubt my idea or ideas are going to be reinveting the wheel

however I read lots of case studies and articles of for example a health app or diet plan app or keep track of your finances app or scheduling app being started by what seems like a kid or a gym instructor, whom I cannot imagine having access to those funds or any technical skills, and I wonder how they to their success

is it crowd funding? angel investors? a lot investment? profit sharing? or selling the idea

ruairiau
    Up
    johnnycashflow, post: 266597, member: 79207 wrote:
    however I read lots of case studies and articles of for example a health app or diet plan app or keep track of your finances app or scheduling app being started by what seems like a kid or a gym instructor, whom I cannot imagine having access to those funds or any technical skills, and I wonder how they to their success

is it crowd funding? angel investors? a lot investment? profit sharing? or selling the idea

Of course you do. And now they’re giving the secrets of their success to you. Just watch their YouTube channel, go to their seminar, download their free ebook, sign up for their monthly insider newsletter etc. It’s pickaxes mate – lots of pickaxes.

johnnycashflow
    Up
    ruairiau, post: 266598, member: 112433 wrote:
    Of course you do. And now they’re giving the secrets of their success to you. Just watch their YouTube channel, go to their seminar, download their free ebook, sign up for their monthly insider newsletter etc. It’s pickaxes mate – lots of pickaxes.
    sorry, I might have given the wrong impression,

I was referring to these articels, theyre more just telling people of their story/journey,

usually articles have headlines like
    “how a fitness trainer took his idea to sucessful business”

ruairiau
    Up

At a guess, they make an MVP and a business plan then approach investors.

LukeHally
    • Total posts: 150
    Up

Are you sure there’s a solid market for you app? Before anything, the path I’ve seen that lead to success involves a landing page collecting emails first. Then you can gauge interest and then use the list as warm leads to spending money.

RunicConvenience
    • Total posts: 186
    Up

this is a good idea, when your dealing with purely digital products the ability to advertise them is so much easier you can talk about all the features, funnel users compared to a “cleaning business” for example you send someone searching for a local house maid service to a “provide your email” and we will tell you when we launch they most likely be annoyed for the waste of time.

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

I’ve project managed app development for some very well known Australian & international companies (you’ve probably used one or two of them at some stage or other), that ranged in budget from 20k to healthy 6 figures. I’d be more than happy to sign your NDA, and give you some very experienced feedback on what a reasonable budget is for your app idea, and if there is any way to “test” your idea before spending the big bucks.

Without knowing currently what your app entails, that still seems like a very high budget unless it’s something super complex (which it very well might be).

Calcul8or
    Participant
    • Total posts: 481
    Up

I build apps for a living and wouldn’t dream of charging anywhere near that much. I’m shocked that whoever you went to wanted to charge you 100k for each mobile platform [USER=79207]@johnnycashflow[/USER], because there is cross-platform technology these days that doesn’t require building two separate apps.

The biggest project I recently worked on was circa $50k, but that was for a very large conglomerate, and took about 6 months to put together. Most others I do are anywhere between 5k to 20k, depending on complexity. Everything depends on complexity.

Happy to have a chat if you like.

Cheers,
    Shail

Programmer. Analyst. Nerd. Calcul8ors.com.au Custom Software & Collaboration
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.