Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Are e-mail newsletters outdated?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #996236
    heftzwecke
    Member
    • Total posts: 213
    Up
    0
    ::

    Are e-mail newsletters outdated? I can only judge from what I am doing. If a pop-up window opens I never ever read it. I close it and find it annoying (one point less for the website). If I really really love the article I read AND it is a topic I am VERY interested then, I might consider subscribing if there is a possibility underneath that super article. But in the end I never read these newsletters and I unsubscribe fast.
    The only exception is that I subscribe to see what my competitors are doing…..
    What about you?

    #1206360
    Greg_M
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    0
    ::

    I subscribe to several newsletters in areas of interest to me, and quite enjoy their arrival. So I guess my short answer is I don’t believe they’re outdated.

    BUT I do agree subscription pop ups do my head in and I would never subscribe to any promoted that way. In fact unless the website has very good content or is mission critical to something I need I’ll probably never return let alone subscribe…apparently the marketing stats say otherwise, so maybe I’m weird or an edge case that’s of no interest to someone whose trawling through the numbers for prospects.

    #1206361
    StuartL
    Member
    • Total posts: 32
    Up
    0
    ::

    Despite what some people think about popups offering newsletters,the fact is that those popups are very effective and are a great way to build your email list.

    I guess this falls under the category that so many people fail to understand about doing business online – “just because you do doesn’t mean that anybody else does”

    #1206362
    JohnTranter
    Member
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    0
    ::

    My wife will send out an email to her subscribers when she has a special offer on, and then she’ll get an avalanche of sales. It can be a great marketing tool if used properly.

    Personally I usually ignore popups and if I do subscribe to a site, it’s normally during the checkout process.
    I believe it’s normally a good idea to offer several ways to subscribe, and maybe time the popup so it occurs after a few pages of browsing

    But if a popup has something like this text in the popup:

    • Click here to subscribe for great prices or;
    • Don’t subscribe if you want to keep paying high prices

    Then I’m gone, I won’t even look at the site. Please don’t do that.

    #1206363
    heftzwecke
    Member
    • Total posts: 213
    Up
    0
    ::

    Interesting answers! Because the pop up and the newsletter is very high on the promotional list if you google for marketing. And I do behave so differently, that’s the reason why I’m asking. It’s the same with the ads in google, I never click on the entries above the line,they are paid and have rarely a lot to do with my search query.
    The question is basically are your customers as weird as you are??

    #1206364
    El Arish Tropical Exotics
    Member
    • Total posts: 227
    Up
    0
    ::
    JohnTranter, post: 245268, member: 20554 wrote:
    My wife will send out an email to her subscribers when she has a special offer on, and then she’ll get an avalanche of sales. It can be a great marketing tool if used properly.

    Personally I usually ignore popups and if I do subscribe to a site, it’s normally during the checkout process.
    I believe it’s normally a good idea to offer several ways to subscribe, and maybe time the popup so it occurs after a few pages of browsing

    But if a popup has something like this text in the popup:

    • Click here to subscribe for great prices or;
    • Don’t subscribe if you want to keep paying high prices

    Then I’m gone, I won’t even look at the site. Please don’t do that.

    Yup, I spend thousands on advertising in a specialist magazine tracked it with a special discount code and got diddly squat business out of it. The customers that used the code were already customers that had seen it in my blog post/ newsletter.

    It did teach me how valuable my mailing list is.

    Now instead o paying for advertising I just run a sale and send out a blog post/newsletter. Always get a great response. I go about 50-50 on informative articles and sale or restock announcements to keep customers interested, subscribed and coming back.

    Ann

    #1206365
    Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,339
    Up
    0
    ::
    Greg_M, post: 245263, member: 38207 wrote:
    I subscribe to several newsletters in areas of interest to me, and quite enjoy their arrival. So I guess my short answer is I don’t believe they’re outdated.

    BUT I do agree subscription pop ups do my head in and I would never subscribe to any promoted that way. In fact unless the website has very good content or is mission critical to something I need I’ll probably never return let alone subscribe…apparently the marketing stats say otherwise, so maybe I’m weird or an edge case that’s of no interest to someone whose trawling through the numbers for prospects.
    Law of big numbers Greg.

    That said, it becomes a pointless exercise to have subscribers unless the content you offer is relevant, well written and of interest to your subscribers.

    #1206366
    Greg_M
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    0
    ::
    heftzwecke, post: 245272, member: 88078 wrote:
    Interesting answers! Because the pop up and the newsletter is very high on the promotional list if you google for marketing. And I do behave so differently, that’s the reason why I’m asking. It’s the same with the ads in google, I never click on the entries above the line,they are paid and have rarely a lot to do with my search query.
    The question is basically are your customers as weird as you are??

    Maybe we’re weird, but I think we’re a significant enough subset to be considered, especially if you’re product/service is very niche.

    [USER=20554]@JohnTranter[/USER] suggestion that the popup is at least delayed until you’ve digested some content helps imo.

    #1206367
    Greg_M
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    0
    ::
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 245277, member: 78928 wrote:
    Law of big numbers Greg.

    That said, it becomes a pointless exercise to have subscribers unless the content you offer is relevant, well written and of interest to your subscribers.

    Yeah, I’d kind of figured that, maybe I resist being treated as an exercise in volume prospecting.

    Sometimes I suspect the instant popup is actually a cover up for crap content, and just to collect email addresses…I don’t doubt that it works, I’m just pretty careful about where my primary email address finishes up.

    #1206368
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    0
    ::

    On the instant popups, if anyone actually signs up to them, it shows they really don’t care and just want their inbox filled with junk, why would you sign up for something you know nothing about. IMHO

    #1206369
    heftzwecke
    Member
    • Total posts: 213
    Up
    0
    ::

    Probably there are more and more people getting weird…. I want my in box neat and tidy! It probably really boils down to the niche. Offline customers give you a hint but are not necessarily the same than online customers. I mainly usd it so far for direct invitations like “come for our plant sale on Saturday, teas and home made bickies served”.

    #1206370
    MyGreatIdea
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    0
    ::

    I guess as business owners we’re very conscious of an overflowing inbox and that makes us quite selective.

    But I would imagine there are millions of consumers out there who don’t work from their inbox and will sign up for almost anything that grabs their interest.

    Wendy :)

    #1206371
    El Arish Tropical Exotics
    Member
    • Total posts: 227
    Up
    0
    ::

    It works both ways. Who wants to pay to send emails to people who don’t open them?
    I cull people who haven’t opened the last two newsletters sent.
    Ann

    #1206372
    John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    0
    ::

    Email is still the most powerful marketing channel.

    Its not dead by a long way.

    I made $4,500 in a day by sending 3 emails to a 200 person list recently.

    If you’re operating online, you should be working towards building your list and engaging with your subscribers.

    it takes time but it’s worth it.

    #1206373
    John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    0
    ::
    El Arish Tropical Exotics, post: 245344, member: 6734 wrote:
    I cull people who haven’t opened the last two newsletters sent

    Seems quite harsh.

    How often are you sending emails?

    What about people on holidays, or in hospital or moving, or, or?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.