Home – New Forums Get productive Are you a procrastinator? Me too! How can I stop?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Lucy Kippist
    • Total posts: 230
    Up
    ::

The neurological explanation for ‘why’ we procrastinate is incredibly complex and as old as time. According to scientists via this incredibly comprehensive article (that’s bound to kill some time! Ha) even the Greek poet Hesiod, writing around 800 B.C., cautioned not to “put your work off till tomorrow and the day after.”

While sage words, Hesiod doesn’t really go on to tell us ‘how’…

Care to share your most effective method for preventing procrastination?

I’ll put the kettle on ;)

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Lucy Kippist, post: 255171, member: 98720 wrote:
    According to scientists via this incredibly comprehensive article (that’s bound to kill some time! Ha) ;)

I’ll read it tomorrow, or maybe Sunday

RoseC
    • Total posts: 58
    Up

Productive procrastination is the method for me.

Checking social too much, re-writing the same sentence too often, reading stuff not related to my project, or simply staring at the beige wall in front of me too long and I know it’s time to go do something else.

I find spending five or 10 mins doing something not work related means when I sit back down at my desk I’m able to settle quicker and focus on what I need to.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

I am with Bert!

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I reckon it’s a genetic trait.

I’ve got a Doctorate in procrastination. My younger son, now in his 30’s has a Masters, and is catching up fast.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    Lucy Kippist, post: 255171, member: 98720 wrote:
    Care to share your most effective method for preventing procrastination?

Bills.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Lucy,

For me the danger comes from tasks that are related to your work but not the real work (could be email, admin, stationery, social media, planning, etc). You can fill your time with these and trick yourself into thinking you’re busy.

Write down all your tasks and highlight them in 2 different colours – real work and other work. If you make your main work blocks for “real work only”. Then you’re forced to do that thing or sit there and literally do nothing. Even the work you’re putting off starts to look good compared to staring at the wall. But if you’re email is sitting there or some other distraction it won’t work. The idea is to make that block of time so boring that your boring task is the most interesting thing.

Failing that, just do 5 minutes. Starting is the hard part, and after 5 minutes usually you’re into it.

Lucinda Lions has a great technique here for those tasks you put off because you’re worried about doing a good job.

Those are some techniques, but I find it useful to ask yourself why you’re putting it off. Then you can solve the problem in a straight forward way. For example if it’s a boring task, you could go to a café with some music and nice coffee. If it’s because you are hazy about the finished product, you could sketch out a 5 min version so the elements become clear to you. And so on…

Dave

Lucy Kippist
    Up
    RoseC, post: 255180, member: 102925 wrote:
    Productive procrastination is the method for me.

Checking social too much, re-writing the same sentence too often, reading stuff not related to my project, or simply staring at the beige wall in front of me too long and I know it’s time to go do something else.

I find spending five or 10 mins doing something not work related means when I sit back down at my desk I’m able to settle quicker and focus on what I need to.

That is such practical advice, Rose I will try it thanks. It reminds me a little bit of the advice they give you for insomnia – to get out of bed and do something else entirely before attempting to sleep again.

Lucy Kippist
    Up
    Dave – FS Concierge, post: 255271, member: 49676 wrote:
    Hi Lucy,

For me the danger comes from tasks that are related to your work but not the real work (could be email, admin, stationery, social media, planning, etc). You can fill your time with these and trick yourself into thinking you’re busy.

Write down all your tasks and highlight them in 2 different colours – real work and other work. If you make your main work blocks for “real work only”. Then you’re forced to do that thing or sit there and literally do nothing. Even the work you’re putting off starts to look good compared to staring at the wall. But if you’re email is sitting there or some other distraction it won’t work. The idea is to make that block of time so boring that your boring task is the most interesting thing.

Failing that, just do 5 minutes. Starting is the hard part, and after 5 minutes usually you’re into it.

Lucinda Lions has a great technique here for those tasks you put off because you’re worried about doing a good job.

Those are some techniques, but I find it useful to ask yourself why you’re putting it off. Then you can solve the problem in a straight forward way. For example if it’s a boring task, you could go to a café with some music and nice coffee. If it’s because you are hazy about the finished product, you could sketch out a 5 min version so the elements become clear to you. And so on…

Dave

Hey Dave,
    These are terrific suggestions and I think the 5 minute rule seems like a good place to start. Similar to the way writing coaches encourage you to set a timer for 15 minutes each day and simply get words on the page (or screen). Cheers also for the link to Lucinda’s article – seems like a good one to promote again.

Lucy Kippist
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 255199, member: 39536 wrote:
    Bills.
    :(
    Lucy Kippist
    Up
    Greg_M, post: 255195, member: 38207 wrote:
    I reckon it’s a genetic trait.

I’ve got a Doctorate in procrastination. My younger son, now in his 30’s has a Masters, and is catching up fast.

You know what they say about the apple and the tree, Greg!

Lucy Kippist
    Up
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 255189, member: 78928 wrote:
    I am with Bert!
    :D
    elissa.doxey
    • Total posts: 145
    Up

Procrastination & distraction are one of the reasons I try to use co-working spaces occasionally, because my office set-up at home isn’t ideal at the moment.
    I use a bullet journal system to try and keep on task, as well as manage client projects using Insightly, which gives me notifications of deadlines, etc. It’s not foolproof (or procrastinator-proof) though.

karensaid
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

A friend of mine Peter Shallard, operates a business that focuses solely on “how to beat procrastination for Entrepreneurs”.

No point me writing anything here on the subject. He’s written some exceptional articles on the topic of eliminating procrastination, that plagues so many of us in business.

He has a blog on the subject: http://www.petershallard.com/

And a business that hosts effective accountability coaches. I have been through myself. A for awesome! Nothing about time management which I hate.

Warning: Self sabotage is forced into the light.

If anyone cares to take a peek or be interested, here it is: https://www.commitaction.com/

Not an affiliate link in anyway. Just sharing some good stuff someone may find valuable to them.

You can also Youtube Shrink for Entrepreneurs, Peter has a very cool video series filmed in New York where he resides and runs his business.

Hope it’s useful.

battlers_everywhere
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Split work into two categories: deep work and shallow work – an idea by Cal Newport. I’ve read his book; he also has a Ted talk which is worth checking out.

Deep work involves concentration, getting in the zone, performing at a high level etc. A human can only do deep work for a maximum of, say, two hours a day, but will fatigue far sooner (e.g. can only do 30 mins of deep work) when trying deep work for the first time.

I feel like I get MUCH more done in short sharp bursts of deep work than when compared to longer hours of distracted work. I find its easier to motivate myself to be productive when telling myself that I only have to work hard for 60 mins.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.