Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Are You Guys Being Needy??!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jay-T
    • Total posts: 119
    Up
    ::

I haven’t posted on this forum for a while…

I’ve been digging through some threads and I’ve noticed some needy behavior going on and I want to slide something across the table for you guys…

Neediness – the desperate need to be liked by another i.e. fear of rejection

If you’re ready to start your business or you’ve started and your sales kind of suck my suggestion is to pick up the phone.

COLD CALLING….OOOOOOOHHHH

I don’t care if you think cold calling is “uncool” or “not done in your industry” it’s time to let go of your pointless excuses…Instead, let your competition suffer with those ideas.

When you make that call understand that you don’t need anything from them. You really don’t. But they in fact may need something from you.

Understand this: You don’t need the sale from them because you can easily hang up and call the next person…Who cares!

When you first talk to them it’s OK to admit to them that your solution may or may not in fact be of any value to them. (the fact is you really don’t know if your solution is right for them since you haven’t asked them about their situation and got a clear understanding of their issues.)

Don’t pretend or get cute with them just be real with them.

Be cool with the fact that your solution won’t be the right fit for everyone most will say “no” be cool with any response.

Your goal here is to make them needy – you want them to see that your solution is going to give them more money, time, freedom, sex whatever…

So axe all the neediness fellas (and gals) and get your un-needy ass out there!

Will

P.S. People can smell neediness on you and will take advantage – free yourself up from this draining activity.

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

I completely agree Will.

It’s all about about the right match and if it’s not there then quickly move on for the moment.

I would also add with cold calling… give lots of knowledge away and educate them.

So what if they call a competitor… who cares?

Plant a seed and follow them up a month later… some people are just slow on the uptake for a whole pile of crisis management reasons

Jay-T
    Up

Thanks for contributing Warren :)

I agree, but be careful what knowledge you give away and what education you give.

But really it wasn’t so much about sales maybe I mis-communicated again

But it was more about how our fear of what another person just like us (flaws included) paralyzes us.

We don’t want to speak with strangers, we don’t want to say “no” to people.

Understand who can reject you and who can’t:

A parent can reject a child because the child needs the parent
    A teacher can reject a student because the student needs the grades

But your prospect can’t reject you because you don’t need his business.

Don’t give your power to the other side.

People give your feedback good or bad I want to know if this post actually annoyed or helped you guys!!

Cheers Guys :)

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

You didn’t mis-communicate and I agree with you

I was just saying that if you overcome your fear at the start then why not overcome it a month later by making another call to the same person

However, I cannot be careful about the knowledge that I give away because I love doing it… and at the end of the day what does it matter Will?

If you are going to overcome the fear of cold calling another method is to remind yourself that you have just given the person some valuable information… as you say… who cares? … move on

Jay-T
    Up

Cheers Warrenc totally agree, good points

Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up

Hello Willa

Cold calling your point is very valid and like you, I have made this suggestion on various postings.

Cold calling can provide you with the insight to your market and help refined your marketing plan if you are not getting the traction you first thought your product or service would get. Better still, SALES.

There is probably no better example of cold calling then Aussie Farmers Direct. I can remember when a couple of years ago when our house was cold called asking if we want our bread, milk or eggs delivered in the old fashion way……. In the Age yesterday they had 4 senior positions advertised on page 3 of the Age….with a claim they now deliver to 70,000 doors each week, now that is a classic example of how cold calling works.

However, regardless how you Willa or I feel about cold calling, it is not for very one, not all people can do it, for some people the thought of cold calling makes them physically sick and it is a no go zone.

If you can except this fact and understand this is not every ones gig you can be real smart about re-engineering your sales process.

For example if you hate doing the cold calls, typically you will make say 20 calls in one day ie. In between coffees, phone calls to your mates, reviewing and reviewing all the sport results from yesterday, horoscope from 1000 different websites and picking one which fits you etc, etc, etc. After the 20 calls you have made no in roads no appointments no nothing….the declaration you make is ‘see cold calling doesn’t work’.

Now if you employ some one who ‘LOVES’ cold calling for you to make appointments, your success rate is going to improve…if only through the sheer number of conversations the pro will have in one hour, maybe the same as you would have completed in a day.

The professional cold calling machine is no different to a professional boxer who ‘LOVES’ to get into the boxing ring and physically exchange movement with another boxer hoping (thinking he will?) to win the contest. The thought for most of us of getting into the ring with a boxer is enough to make us physically sick the same as cold calling.

Willa, horses for courses, not all want to do cold calling no matter how you or I are successful at it. For the record as a youth I did a lot of boxing and I can inform you I won my last fight by 500 hundred yards. LOL

Cheers

Steven

Jay-T
    Up

Cheers Steven great post mate!

Yep I 100% agree with you that most people hate cold calling and the reason in most instances is because we hate the idea of a stranger rejecting us as a human.

At times I’m do different – when my energy is low I more vulnerable to “the good opinions of others”

I’m not a big fan of cold calling I’m far from lovin’ it and I also understand there are smarter and faster ways to create business.

I do it for my own personal reasons.

1. What if you didn’t hang all of your emotions on an outcome?
    2. What if you actually were fine with just hearing “no”?
    3. What if you were completely cool with a “yes” or “no” from a person?

If you didn’t care about the outcome – If you just said to your prospect openly something like:

“hey Jim, I’ve got something valuable. But I’m not sure yet if you’d find value in it. If what I have doesn’t seem like you’re going to get any value from it just let me know and I’ll get off the phone, sound fair?”

No normal “cold call” starts out like this we try to pitch and fight our prospect and overcome objections and play the sales game…screw it let’s do something else….Lets not get all needy for business and just engage the person and give them an “out” let them know that at any time you’re willing to leave the conversation and that they can say “no” to you.

I know that people will read this and probably roll their eyes but it works.

Good post though Steve most who read this will think that picking up a phone and ringing another human to see if they can create a value based relationship is too scary.

Will

Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up
    willa, post: 31842 wrote:
    1. What if you didn’t hang all of your emotions on an outcome?
    2. What if you actually were fine with just hearing “no”?
    3. What if you were completely cool with a “yes” or “no” from a person?

and

Good post though Steve most who read this will think that picking up a phone and ringing another human to see if they can create a value based relationship is too scary.

Will

Hello Will

I once listened to a training tape about a Guy who was selling insurance over the phone or maybe trying get the appointment… and his deal was he had to go through 10 no’s before he got a yes….so he decided to pitch to the suspect on the phone by opening with hello ‘Mr/Mrs??? Your only 3rd call and the text books tell me you will want hang up and not want to listen to my sale pitch……….
    Mr/Mrs ‘So what are you selling?
    Saleperson “Blah blah….etc.’ Bang!!!….Appointment.
    The thing is your question is great but not all want to realistically to deal with that level of emotion and face the answers honestly.
    And

But the thing is to some people it is……and I am sorry if I have created a further impression that is a holy grail not to be ventured into and is too scary…. But it is to some it is…… a good mate of mine has a catch cry of ‘if you think you can or can’t…..you are right’… that’s beautiful…it is so right.

Cheers

Steven

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.