Home Forums Marketing mastery Are you one of the 65% of Aust. businesses w/out a website? What’s stopping you?

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    DigitalDomination
    • Total posts: 184
    JohnW, post: 90407 wrote:
    I did not say I only tinkered with page titles and URLs.

What I said was, “In terms of the SEO attributes of importance, any CMS must give the user control over defining the:
    Page titles
    URL names”

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what special page publishing attributes WordPress offers that result in higher ranking web pages?

JohnW

Easy RSS feed syndication
    Pinging new content when publishing
    Free Internal linking plugins
    Free Cache plugins for optimal speeds
    Free Sitemap xml file creation and management
    Free social sharing plugins
    Free breadcrumb navigation plugins

Just to name a few John. While some other CMS systems might cater for some of these many don’t and/or they aren’t free.

I’m also surprised that you omitted ‘Meta Descriptions’ on your short list or perhaps you think that doesn’t matter either?

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    DigitalDomination, post: 90423 wrote:
    Easy RSS feed syndication
    Pinging new content when publishing
    Free Internal linking plugins
    Free Cache plugins for optimal speeds
    Free Sitemap xml file creation and management
    Free social sharing plugins
    Free breadcrumb navigation plugins

Just to name a few John. While some other CMS systems might cater for some of these many don’t and/or they aren’t free.

I’m also surprised that you omitted ‘Meta Descriptions’ on your short list or perhaps you think that doesn’t matter either?
    The quote was “SEO attributes of importance”.

Yes, links are important to SEO but every CMS Ive seen creates links.

There is nothing else on this list I would put in the “important” class for SEO.

Some of these attributes have nothing to do with a page’s ranking in search results and some aren’t unique to WordPress.

Yes, the description meta tag is important but not for page ranking. This attribute won’t be any more valuable in page ranking terms than the same text published in the body of the page.

JohnW

DigitalDomination
    • Total posts: 184
    JohnW, post: 90433 wrote:
    There is nothing else on this list I would put in the “important” class for SEO.

JohnW

I would suggest getting pages indexed is of vital importance to getting your pages found in the SERP’s :)

But, I’ll leave you to your own opinion now. You’ve reminded me of a popular saying “A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still”.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125

I’m puzzled now?

Are you saying that WP is somehow superior in allowing SE’s to crawl and therefore index a sites pages?

I’ve not seen any evidence of that and I’m a big WP fan.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940

I think this all illustrates why some people don’t have a website.

Samith
    • Total posts: 187
    JohnW, post: 90376 wrote:
    Hi Samith,
    What you would see at my domain is something very old, incomplete and which should have been scrapped years ago.

No inspiration there.

My promotional strategy revolves around providing my Internet marketing and SEO service via third parties like web designers, developers, business consultants, coaches, PR companies, marketing consultants, etc. I am not trying to get my messages directly to the end client.

You could call FS my marketing communications website. There are certainly a lot of the types of businesses I want to talk with who hang out here. You don’t have to have pages on your own domain to use the Internet as a marketing tool.

Regs,
    JohnW

Hey John,

You sound like you got online marketing seriously worked out, with your marketing knowledge I think you can certainly do bigger if you had a website. I’m not a big fan of middle men, I believe in word of mouth and networking but not to an extent where I would toally ditch my website and rely on connections.

Anyway is there any particular reason why you wouldn’t want a website? cost, time etc? I’m really interested in your thoughts, simply cos you are the only online marketing expert I’ve come across that doesn’t use their own website as their main point of online presense.

Cheers!
    Samith

Captain Simmo
    • Total posts: 110
    JohnSheppard, post: 90453 wrote:
    I think this all illustrates why some people don’t have a website.

I would take that thought a step further and think it is why the “majority” don’t have a website… :rolleyes:

Let the good times roll :)

Simmo.

JohnW
    Samith, post: 90472 wrote:
    Anyway is there any particular reason why you wouldn’t want a website? cost, time etc? I’m really interested in your thoughts, simply cos you are the only online marketing expert I’ve come across that doesn’t use their own website as their main point of online presense.

Cheers!
    Samith
    Hi Samith,
    In a nutshell, it’s lifestyle.

There is only one of me and I don’t want to expand into a multi-employee organisation. I’ve been a people manager but I like what I do more and I don’t need to choose the other route.

If I had a website I would probably have to spend a lot more of my time communicating with people who would not become clients.

Not every one wants or is prepared to pay for the services I offer but they sure love to spend time picking your brain for information. By primarily offering my services via related consultants, they can service those that don’t want marketing services but throw me at their clients who do. Some have even gone as far as printing my name on their company business cards.

It is a win-win. My consulting client does not need the expense of a full time employee with my expertise and I save a bunch of time that may be otherwise wasted.

Regs,
    JohnW

Samith
    • Total posts: 187

Fair enough :) Good luck with it all John.

Cheers!
    Samith

Shaukat Adam (Khalid)
    • Total posts: 1,528

just a thought:

1. there is no need and business is fine
    2. too daunting / technical to explore – require education

this is an opportunity to educate those who are open to the idea of having a website.

as per my previous post, a website is not necessary if business is fine or it may impede lifestyle as in the case of JohnW (well said btw)

most entrepreneurs don’t want to sacrifice their lifestyle to generate millions or maximise growth of their business. In fact, if they make $250k a year, they can enjoy the lifestyle of a millionaire.

I am one of those who will not accept more than 3 virtual employees. rather out task it to those who do want to be the biggest and best in exchange for a fee.

JohnW
    hymstrategies, post: 90539 wrote:
    …may impede lifestyle as in the case of JohnW (well said btw)
    Thanks for the complement but to be accurate, I do use the web extensively as a marketing tool.

There are 560+ comments I’ve published on these web pages. :-)

What I’m trying to do is target my potential clients as tightly as I can. So I come here to them.

A stand alone website is not the best communication vehicles for every and all communication tasks. You choose the medium based on the required characteristics for the process. If you head for online communications, there is a rapidly growing range of options.

The business objectives must always be the driving factor. Online communications must support these not drive them.

Regs,
    JohnW

demawo
    • Total posts: 25
    Captain Simmo, post: 83464 wrote:
    Good topic this one….

I have asked the question if they have ever thought about a website and I get a mixed reaction… The basic is i rely on word of mouth, I don’t need a website, I’m in retail and people walk by… however, the interesting thing is alot actually ask me why… Do you want to make me one? and how much do I think it will cost to get one?

My conclusion is simple… Most of these businesses would have a website if it cost only a few hundred dollars to create a basic site including first years hosting and domain name etc and was a packaged deal that someone actually took care of the whole process from start to finish.

Simmo.

Agreed here, when I was freelancing making small business websites, canvassing the local area, most people (i.e. tradies, retail, pubs, cafe) said they were happy with their current income so never thought about a website.

Some aren’t interested in growth.

Others just don’t know the potential benefits.

peteract
    • Total posts: 16
    FionaFell, post: 83598 wrote:
    As a website designer, I would love everyone to have a website.

But so many of my small business clients, and even more of my solo-entrepreneuerial clients, don’t have websites before I start helping them.

Way too many get scared, so don’t ask for advice. And too many designers/developers in the region frown down at them if they ask questions that the pro thinks is ‘silly’ and for not having thousands of dollars in their coffers to spend on a whim.

• Websites don’t need to cost the earth. (For small business the earth is a much smaller number than for corporates!)
    • Websites do need to make the business owner money
    • Websites need to be simple. (For owner and visitor)

I’m a website designer too, mostly with mobile websites. My ideal client is a very small business, definitely one with less than 5 employees.
    With a mobile website, I’ve tried to get restaurants as a specialty, but with absolutely no success – and yet I would think that close to 100% of searches for a restaurant would be done on a mobile phone!

It’s not as though my prices are unreasonable – say $297. Hell, I’ve just run an ad in the local paper offering businesses a mobile website for free! (I would just charge hosting and maintenance).

Would you believe I have not had one reply?

Even when I show them what their website (if they have one) looks like on a mobile phone, and show them a mockup of what their site should look like (complete with free QR code), they are still not interested.

Would love to take Captain Simmo up on his challenge:

“If any web designer is interested in work (or starting up) I can generate a truck load of these small businesses. It seems that all webdesigners that I speak to are only interested in the B2B clients.”

Astrotom
    • Total posts: 7

Anyone can have a website duh! It’s all about content.
    Considering the stats mentioned we must always remember about 50% or even more isn’t even connected to the Internet…

Shaukat Adam (Khalid)
    • Total posts: 1,528

The greatest challenge for web designers is to create websites (mobile or otherwise) that attracts and converts leads. Needs to be measurable. If you can’t do this, then it’s just a glorified online brochure which no one really wants.

Websites on their own do nothing even if you get page 1, rank 1 on google. If it does not build a list which you can respectively market to as a welcome guest and a trusted advisor, then it’s a waste of time and money in my opinion.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 175 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.