Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Are you one of the 65% of Aust. businesses w/out a website? What’s stopping you?

Viewing 11 posts - 166 through 176 (of 176 total)
  • Author
    getcontented.com.au
    • Total posts: 136
    Up
    ::

Hi All… I wonder what the stats are two/three years on in regards to businesses online in Australia. Does anyone know?

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

We’re just collating the early results of our most recent Understanding Micro Business survey and, while not quite the same questions, we found that 84% of micro business owners said that a website was important for their business. We’ll be releasing the results shortly, but in the meantime our previous survey results are here: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/survey
    Hope that helps!
    Cheers,
    Peter

getcontented.com.au
    Up

Thanks Peter,

I’m just quite interested, because when we first started our business our assumption was that there would be a *lot* of business coming our way because it seemed a lot of businesses wanted websites.

Then when we launched, we seemed to be having a large difficulty with small businesses who didn’t seem to know why they’d want a website. So, we started really thinking about what seemed to us to be an “of course you do” kind of situation.

We came up with a bunch of reasons: primarily, that the way your website looks and feels can make you stand out for your potential clients and give them an impression around and information about your business. This is our forte, crafting a look and feel and designing good content.

The only issue, at this point, seems to be “how to connect to these clients”. How to get their attention to give them this message.

How does flying solo find its customers?

Julian

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Julian,
    While there are a group of business owners that run successfully without a website and don’t see the need, I think it would be more effective to focus on those that are already sold on the idea of a website rather than trying to convince others why they should get one – educating the market can be a long road.

With my copywriting work I’ve come across a lot of people over the years who don’t see the value in paying for writing work (design can be a similar thing), so rather than trying to convince them I think it’s best just to preach to the converted.

Once people are already sold on the idea, then it becomes a matter of convincing them that you’re the right choice for them – easier said than done :) Especially with website development being such an increasingly competitive area right now – both with new entrants and DIY type options.

Our surveys also show that word-of-mouth and repeat business are two of the best forms of finding clients, so patience and great work can be the long-term answer. Flying Solo has been around for 10 years or and has grown largely organically with referrals over the years, and over time the search engine rankings built up also help people find us.

No proven short-cuts that I know of :)

Cheers, Peter

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    getcontented.com.au, post: 223524, member: 72814 wrote:
    Thanks Peter,

I’m just quite interested, because when we first started our business our assumption was that there would be a *lot* of business coming our way because it seemed a lot of businesses wanted websites.

Then when we launched, we seemed to be having a large difficulty with small businesses who didn’t seem to know why they’d want a website. So, we started really thinking about what seemed to us to be an “of course you do” kind of situation.

We came up with a bunch of reasons: primarily, that the way your website looks and feels can make you stand out for your potential clients and give them an impression around and information about your business. This is our forte, crafting a look and feel and designing good content.

The only issue, at this point, seems to be “how to connect to these clients”. How to get their attention to give them this message.

How does flying solo find its customers?

Julian

Julian,
    I think a thing that a lot of service providers such as yourself fail to do is sell the ROI, to any potential client. Sure you say we need one, you say it makes us look good, you say XYZ, but what is the ROI to any potential client, or the better question is will there be an ROI to any potential client.
    I am not going to spend hundreds of dollars to just look and feel good, if I spend hundreds of dollars I want to get those hundreds of dollars, plus a multiple back, before I would invest.

We as small business don’t want to look good (figuratively speaking), we want to make MONEY. Every day on this forum and on other places we are bombarded with the following figures.

• Website – Hundreds of dollars
    • SEO – well 500 to 1500 per month
    • Marketing – I just saw up to 2000 a month
    • Etc, etc – $100’s

This is not a winge, it is an example as a small business owner I am being asked to spend all of this money, and I have not even bought my goods or day to day requirements yet. I need to sell 1000’s of widgets (they are my fav), before I put a crust of bread on the table for my children just to pay for all of those services.

And the cruncher for me, they all want the dollars, but they don’t commit or promise a ROI, or even mention an ROI, it all comes down to you will look good, you will be number one (well maybe), get the drift of where I am going.

Don’t sell or preach to your potential customers, really think and understand the true cost to them of your cheap offer, and think am I really giving a ROI.

Sorry I have gone on, but hope you get the drift of my thinking. What’s in it for me???

getcontented.com.au
    Up
    bb1, post: 223541, member: 53375 wrote:
    Julian,
    I think a thing that a lot of service providers such as yourself fail to do is sell the ROI, to any potential client. Sure you say we need one, you say it makes us look good, you say XYZ, but what is the ROI to any potential client, or the better question is will there be an ROI to any potential client.
    I am not going to spend hundreds of dollars to just look and feel good, if I spend hundreds of dollars I want to get those hundreds of dollars, plus a multiple back, before I would invest.

Don’t sell or preach to your potential customers, really think and understand the true cost to them of your cheap offer, and think am I really giving a ROI.

Sorry I have gone on, but hope you get the drift of my thinking. What’s in it for me???

Thank you very much for this reply, Bert. I fully understand where you’re coming from.

I’m not trying to sell this to you, particularly. If you don’t want a nicely designed website, that’s entirely up to you, of course.

The ROI is a bit of a tricky one, isn’t it?

I can tell you that the work we’ve done for David’s website (my father) at http://www.flutesandflutists.com has led directly to quite a few more sales. He knows this because he tracks it. You can ring him and ask him if you like. His phone number is at the top left of his site: http://www.flutesandflutists.com

This design work in particular was a matter of taking an article he wrote about choosing a flute and hooking it up to an email sign-up. He then follows up that email sign-up with a question about whether they’re interested in buying a flute.

I might collect a bunch of my customer’s responses to this question that you have as it seems to be something of a common question. Somewhere along the lines of “why have a website?”

Perhaps, given the nature of your business, a website might not be the best way to sell your service. I don’t know. If you’re selling “widgets”, then I see a website as indispensible.

If you’re selling gardening services, I still think it’s a great idea, because you can take the customer through what makes you special and sell them on your services without you actually having to do a single thing… all before they even contact you. You can do this by showing off examples of the impact of your work, showcasing comments by satisfied clients, etc. etc.

But sadly I’m not sure how to quantify the ROI of this for you. I know that I’d be more likely to hire a gardener that had something showing off what they do than one that has nothing but maybe I’m weird or something :) To me it just shows what you’re getting into before you get it. Kind of like going for food and seeing a menu with pictures of the food on it. :-)

Warmly,
    Julian

getcontented.com.au
    Up
    FS Administrator, post: 223538, member: 1 wrote:
    Hi Julian,
    While there are a group of business owners that run successfully without a website and don’t see the need, I think it would be more effective to focus on those that are already sold on the idea of a website rather than trying to convince others why they should get one – educating the market can be a long road.

With my copywriting work I’ve come across a lot of people over the years who don’t see the value in paying for writing work (design can be a similar thing), so rather than trying to convince them I think it’s best just to preach to the converted.

Once people are already sold on the idea, then it becomes a matter of convincing them that you’re the right choice for them – easier said than done :) Especially with website development being such an increasingly competitive area right now – both with new entrants and DIY type options.

Our surveys also show that word-of-mouth and repeat business are two of the best forms of finding clients, so patience and great work can be the long-term answer. Flying Solo has been around for 10 years or and has grown largely organically with referrals over the years, and over time the search engine rankings built up also help people find us.

No proven short-cuts that I know of :)

Cheers, Peter

This is sage advice. Thanks Peter :)

Loanspal
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

A loan that you take out in order to open a business or to expand your business through business loans. Choosing the right business loan can be the game changer of any small business. We understand businesses face a range of financial challenge. Short term business loans can be critical to your success as a business owner. Loanspal provides urgent business loan, short term business, caveat, second mortgage and secured business loans in Australia.

Home

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

JSC is a professional service company that assists foreign-invested companies in doing businesses in China. Our core services China PEO and employment solution enables foreign investors to hire employees in China without setting up any company which allow them to expand into China market in days, not months. Our in-country local experts are also experienced in assisting businesses to compliantly establish their own legal entity in China.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi Julian,
    Maybe a professional company is needed to assist, so that it can probably have better development.
    JSC is a professional service company that assists foreign-invested companies in doing businesses in China. Our core services China PEO and employment solution enables foreign investors to hire employees in China without setting up any company which allow them to expand into China market in days, not months. Our in-country local experts are also experienced in assisting businesses to compliantly establish their own legal entity in China.

IsaacOBrien
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

It’s really important to identify internal challenges. My business wasn’t ready for the pandemic and now I’m adapting to the new reality. Lesson learned. I’ve also learned important tax tips from a qualified accountant at SavvySME

Viewing 11 posts - 166 through 176 (of 176 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.